Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine problems - Steam from tail pipes, sludge severe hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New engine problems - Steam from tail pipes, sludge severe hesitation

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MelloYellow:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chris Johnson 00 T/A:
<strong>Whats the deal with torque and such? The helms manual says 25ft/lbs, 90*'s, then 50*'s ( or something like that ) I'm sure it's WELLLL over 65 ft/lbs.

How should it be done?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ya, the angle turns take it well past 65 ft/lbs. Gonna use a digital TQ wrench someday to find out, but my mech just hits them hard with the impact gun. Think he said the gun is around 110-120 ft/lbs. He's a full-time C5 mech and he's never had a car come back with a blown gasket, EVER. He does all his engines and H/C installs this way. Never broken a head off a bolt. I'm happy with this method. He's done my engine 3 times with no issues this technique.

Did you use some kind of sealant on the ends of the head bolts? That's necessary, right? I remember some sealant being needed on the block threads and other sealant necessary for some ported heads, but I forget what was up with the heads. My mech had to seal something on my ARE's once.

I'd go back to stock dowel pins and use a good GM MLS or Cometic MLS gasket.
How do you flush that milkshake oil outta there??</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL, time to find a new mechanic. The torque/angle method is required to get the proper bolt stretch and clamp load on the gasket.

Using an impact is just plain being lazy.