Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach not working properly. Reluctor ring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a spare tach that you could hook up to see if that will fix the tach problem?

Just curious what did you degree the cam at? What was it ground at?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The correct voltage is there. The weird part is after messing with it friday, and swapping the retainer plate and timing set the tach will now go to 3000rpm before it cuts off. That little bit of messing with it gained 500rpm. Im going to order the LS2 timing chain and stock gears today from GM and slap those on there friday and hopefully thats the cure. It did seem to help just by messing with it. So maybe by swapping the double roller out it will fix it.

I dont have another tach to try right now, and the cam is degree'd. Just the dot to dot method was used. The cam is a 228/228 .580/.580 113 I believe it was.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
The correct voltage is there. The weird part is after messing with it friday, and swapping the retainer plate and timing set the tach will now go to 3000rpm before it cuts off. That little bit of messing with it gained 500rpm. Im going to order the LS2 timing chain and stock gears today from GM and slap those on there friday and hopefully thats the cure. It did seem to help just by messing with it. So maybe by swapping the double roller out it will fix it.

I dont have another tach to try right now, and the cam is degree'd. Just the dot to dot method was used. The cam is a 228/228 .580/.580 113 I believe it was.

which double roller do you have?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
which double roller do you have?
Roller Master..
Old 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Roller Master..

i dont think your problem is with the roller chain or the cam or crank sensor, its probably the wiring from the PCM to the instrument cluster for the tach output, or the tach itself, as for the engine being sluggish, did you verify the engine timing, sometimes with the double roller chains the crank gear is two pieces and there are 3 different timing marks on it, you have to choose the round one and line it up with the camshaft gear. the other two are rectangle and triangle.

hope this helps
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Roller Master..

oh well i had an SLP, so i thought if you had the same one then it definately is your chain... still mine rubbed on the inside because it wasnt properly shimmed. i'm willing to bet if you switched out the chain to an LS2, the tach would work. like i said i tried lots of different things, including replacing sensors and checking the wiring, but the chain ended up the problem. good luck buddy!!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

oh well i had an SLP, so i thought if you had the same one then it definately is your chain... still mine rubbed on the inside because it wasnt properly shimmed. i'm willing to bet if you switched out the chain to an LS2, the tach would work. like i said i tried lots of different things, including replacing sensors and checking the wiring, but the chain ended up the problem. good luck buddy!!
Yeah im thinking that to. Ive checked all the wiring and all seems to be fine. I wouldnt suspect the chain if I didnt take it off and mess with it and put it back on then the tach will go to 3000rpm now instead of 2500rpm. ITs defiantly seems like something there. I ordered an LS2 timing chain and stock sprockets yesterday from GM and I pick them up today. Friday I will be swapping all this back out and hope like hell it worked.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 AM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Keep us posted. i want to know what caused this. Hope it is the chain so you can get it back on the road.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is probably an unwelcome suggestion but guesses are unlikely to solve this problem. You need to determine whether the problem is mechanical or electrical – whether the problem is inside or outside the engine. The most straightforward way to isolate this problem, unfortunately, would be to install the motor in another car. The alternative is for an experienced technician to look at various signals with an oscilloscope. Simply measuring voltages does not tell the full story.

Last edited by Gary Z; 03-06-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gary Z
This is probably an unwelcome suggestion but guesses are unlikely to solve this problem. You need to determine whether the problem is mechanical or electrical – whether the problem is inside or outside the engine. The most straightforward way to isolate this problem, unfortunately, would be to install the motor in another car. The alternative is for an experienced technician to look at various signals with an oscilloscope. Simply measuring voltages does not tell the full story.
No one is guessing, Im trying everything I can think of and so far nothing has worked. Im trying to determine if its electrical or mechanical but in order to detrimine that is to try/test things you think would be the culprit. The're will be no installing the motor in a different car, that may work but I dont have the time to do so, Nor antoher car jsut sitting with no motor. If it doenst get fixed in the next couple weeks Ill just have him take it somewhere to have it looked at.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one is guessing, Im trying everything I can think of and so far nothing has worked.
Trying everything you can think of IS guessing. It may be informed guessing, but it is not the same as looking for evidence and following the trail. You started this thread saying everything was perfect except the tach. Only later did you inform us that the engine runs poorly. I’m sorry you have a difficult problem. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Trying everything you can think of IS guessing. It may be informed guessing, but it is not the same as looking for evidence and following the trail. You started this thread saying everything was perfect except the tach. Only later did you inform us that the engine runs poorly. I’m sorry you have a difficult problem. Good luck.
So your suppose to find the issue by not trying what you think could be the problem? You have to be in the right direction before you can "Follow the trail" without rulling out certian things then how can you start down the right path. BTW Thats when I found out the engine ran poorly, I called the owner of the car and asked him how it ran.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Problem Solved!!!!!!! Replaced both sprockets back to stock, and put an LS2 timing chain on, removed the oil pump shims, reinstalled everything and bingo, tach works flawless, Fumes are gone, starts right up, and pulls 15x as hard as it did. I never would have thought 2months of headach wouldve been a timing chain and sprockets. Still not sure why the double roller was screwing it up but oh well. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

if you have a double roller timing chain, then that is your problem..

i had an SLP double roller and it was installed wrong. my tach didnt work at all and it was a bitch to fire up, wouldnt want to crank over... then i swapped out to an LS2 chain, and all the problems disappeard!
I have this same problem. I used an aftermarket timming chain. Is there a differance between the LS1 and LS2 timming chain?

Al
Old 03-10-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome!!!! yea, sometimes those double rollers are a hassle!! glad you got it figured out dude....

the ls2 chain is much stronger than the ls1. if you hold them side by side, you can tell the difference.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Problem Solved!!!!!!! Replaced both sprockets back to stock, and put an LS2 timing chain on, removed the oil pump shims, reinstalled everything and bingo, tach works flawless, Fumes are gone, starts right up, and pulls 15x as hard as it did. I never would have thought 2months of headach wouldve been a timing chain and sprockets. Still not sure why the double roller was screwing it up but oh well. Thanks for all the help!
That's Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats
Now I know what I have to do to fix mine.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Al

Quick Reply: Tach not working properly. Reluctor ring?