Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure seems to come up slow on cold starts...issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well that's a good question, it seems there maybe two different noises going on. Piston noise in the back ground and lifter noise. I noticed today when I start it I can hear the slight knocking at idle but as I raise the rpms to 1000 something starts tapping clacking rattling like hell. By 1800 rpm the engine gets quiet again and you only hear the rocking -knocking piston noise, Really a hand full to diagnose.

I'm taking it to a very well known LS1 shop tomorrow and see what they say. The car runs fantastic and above 2k sounds fine. My wife thinks I just worry too much....LOL.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
Are you sure it's not a collapsed lifter, a bent pushrod, or broken valve spring?
I'd agree...start here, pull the valve covers and see if you have any loose rockers on the valves that are closed, roll the motor over slowly and check the valve play and other rockers as valves close(remove spark plugs to do this)...
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Well that's a good question, it seems there maybe two different noises going on. Piston noise in the back ground and lifter noise. I noticed today when I start it I can hear the slight knocking at idle but as I raise the rpms to 1000 something starts tapping clacking rattling like hell. By 1800 rpm the engine gets quiet again and you only hear the rocking -knocking piston noise, Really a hand full to diagnose.

I'm taking it to a very well known LS1 shop tomorrow and see what they say. The car runs fantastic and above 2k sounds fine. My wife thinks I just worry too much....LOL.
I'd trust my gut, you have had LS cars before... maybe you are worrying too much, but better safe than sorry.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

We've had 5 but I've never heard this much noise before. Strange thing is this one runs the best out of all of them. It doesn't seem to use any oil either and the oil stays nice and clean after you change it. Just a very noisy running engine, I noticed if I stand on it hard and get the rpms up high and back off the throttle a bit its much noisier than any of the others we have owned. But it runs fantatsic, I guess loose is QUICK. Only has like 42k miles on the car.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Update:

O-RING on the pickup tube causing all this craziness.........bearings are fine.....lifters full of air are the source of the clattering at 1000 rpm.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

My stock engine ls1 clacked extremely hard on a cold start until the temp gauge, not oil pressure, went to the quarter mark.

My 4 cylinder s10 does the same thing.

My oil pressure gauge lags, but it doesn't start at 40 and build pressure. Cold it's close to 80 and 40 at hot hot idle.

My built engine makes the same noise as my stock one on cold starts. I'd be scared if it didn't.

As far as shaky needles, my stock opsu did it in the camaro. I ripped it on accident during my build, new one doesn't do it, old one did though. My s10 does it. No worries.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure seems to come up slow on cold starts...issue?