Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TREX lows #'s. Not Happy....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Lot of over blown explanations here for the real problem being the ls1 intakeAlso new injectors?!? where on the a/f graph do you see him going lean on his dyno run? stock injectors are good to about 450 rwhp
By 6800RPMs, he's almost at 14:1, that's a bit lean. I doubt they'd tune it that lean on purpose.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of over blown explanations here for the real problem being the ls1 intake

Do yourself a favor and replace your intake before you do anything else.

Then dont get caught up in the over blown theory of having to have the perfect dcr to make power.

Only problem with this guys setup is the intake but you've got people here telling him to pull the heads. WTF?!?!?

You could check the compression real quick to rule and it wouldnt be a bad idea. You dont need a leak down test just buy a guage and foillow the instructions. If there is an issue you'll see it. I was having an issue with being down on power and simple conmprssion check chowed me I had 180 psi in all cynlinders exxcept for one wich had 60psi.

Regardless of what you find with the compression check you still need at least an ls6 intake with a cam of any size.

Also new injectors?!? where on the a/f graph do you see him going lean on his dyno run? stock injectors are good to about 450 rwhp

This guys problem is the intake
Old 02-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
By 6800RPMs, he's almost at 14:1, that's a bit lean. I doubt they'd tune it that lean on purpose.
Not sure what graf your looking at but I dont see him ever touching 14 let alone 14.1. Isnt 13.2 -8 the desired afr? anything in the 12's is a safe tune but 13's is running it dead on. Plus you need to do fuel management in the tune before you replace injectors. Add the fact that he's at 402 hp and NO injectors are not his issue.

The simple fact is that the ls1 intake is choking the **** out of his air flow. Trex needs to breath, its an upper rpm performer and upper rpms needs air flow.
I would go with a 90/90 because your only going to want it anyway when you figure out air flow is crucial to making big power.

And my thought on quench or dcr here is that his heads are un-milled and trex is an off the shelf cam designed for this application on this motor with the general knowledge of stock comression in mind. OR I could be wrong

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my TREX dyno, before the Fast 90/90, aluminum flywheel, and with only one cutout. I had an LS6 intake, ported throttle body(excellent job by a friend of mine who is a machinist and LS1 enthusiast), and a TSP airlid. I had some issue up top, I believe it was my worn out clutch slipping. There is no torque reading b/c of other issues, they couldnt get a reading off my plug wires or fuel injectors for some reason.....

Last edited by moeZ28; 02-24-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

maybe I'm wrong but your tune seems off. The a/f is all over the place
Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where the air/fuel ratio drops down, the car was having a weird miss or something so my tuner had to add fuel to it to get it to stop...I am gonna change the stock 98 computer out for a 2001 computer soon, and little things like that will be fixed once we add the speed density enhanced version off of HP tuners.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Lot of over blown explanations here for the real problem being the ls1 intake

Do yourself a favor and replace your intake before you do anything else.

Then dont get caught up in the over blown theory of having to have the perfect dcr to make power.

Only problem with this guys setup is the intake but you've got people here telling him to pull the heads. WTF?!?!?

You could check the compression real quick to rule and it wouldnt be a bad idea. You dont need a leak down test just buy a guage and foillow the instructions. If there is an issue you'll see it. I was having an issue with being down on power and simple conmprssion check chowed me I had 180 psi in all cynlinders exxcept for one wich had 60psi.

Regardless of what you find with the compression check you still need at least an ls6 intake with a cam of any size.

Also new injectors?!? where on the a/f graph do you see him going lean on his dyno run? stock injectors are good to about 450 rwhp

This guys problem is the intake
A close friend of mine that just did a cam swap made 397whp(auto car) and his injectors(26lbers) are running 100% DC at full throttle....

If this guy is running stock injectors then those need to be addressed as well...

The bottom line is if you want to make the same power as others with a good h/c package you need to have all supporting mods.

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

I was in the same exact situation as you are in now. I picked up 17whp (399whp vs. 416wp) when switching from a stock TB and LS1 intake to a stock ported TB and LS6 intake, this is with your same heads but an F13, and that 17whp was without touching the tune (ended up picking a total of 26whp after the tune was tweaked).

Bottom line is, you will see a nice increase with an intake swap alone.

And FWIW, it woulnd't hurt to perform a compression test and see where you stand now, at least you'll have a future reference point.

P.S. you definatley want to invest in a new set of injectors. I'm pushing well over 100% duty on my stocks and you'll probably end up with more power than I am when you swap intakes. A little insuance goes a long way..
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Look at the end of his dyno graph. The AFR is much closer to 14 than it is to 13 by 6800. Based off my dyno graph and a few others I've seen from Speed, Inc. they try to tune as close to 13 as possible everywhere.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a new intake and larger injectors, no questions about it.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

Look at the end of his dyno graph. The AFR is much closer to 14 than it is to 13 by 6800. Based off my dyno graph and a few others I've seen from Speed, Inc. they try to tune as close to 13 as possible everywhere.
Your right its rises slightly but it never touches 14.1 or even 14 like you stated. I ran 380 hp with plenty of injector left. Wasnt even at 80%

It's possible he might need bigger injectors at some point but that is not whats keeping him from making power at this point. You dont see it in his afr. You see a very slight rise towards lean and it never even gets lean. (also the leaner the more power). At this point he needs an intake. If when they are tuning with the new intake they cant keep it from running lean then he needs injectors. But to dump 200+ on injectors right now is waste if you ask me.
He could put 80 lb'ers in there right now and it wont raise his HP at all. Then what would you tell him??
Let the guy get a proper intake before he buys injectors. If at that point he needs bigger injectors then he can get them.
I'll drop becasue I'm just saying the same thing over and over and I dont need to argue with people about this.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

I think that everyone is missing it. You're all right:

- YES he needs a better intake

- When the new intake goes on, he should get new injectors. Most stockers I've seen will peter out around 410-415hp in cold air. They're fine in warmer weather, but get a chilly evening and it's too close to even consider it sensible.

So the problem isn't the injectors... yet.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

I realize his injectors aren't holding him back RIGHT NOW, but the fact that his AFR is going up already indicates that when he adds more air (intake), they will become the restriction not long after. He might as well upgrade them now because as soon as he gets back on the dyno, they'll be at or past their limits at the 430-440rwhp he should be making with that cam.

Buying injectors at the same time will save him money in the long run so he doesn't have to come back and pay additional to have his injector constant tweaked down the road.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

I have an intake off an 04 GTO which I believe is an LS6 intake. You can borrow it if you like to test it on your car. I work in Rolling Meadows.

Roy

Originally Posted by TheCarKid
Check out my sig for all my mods to date. I've heard a ton of good things about the Trex cam and now I've got one and I can't seem to get the numbers that everyone else has. Cam only tune was 375rwhp and about 365rwtq. Cam and heads was 402rwhp and about 380rwtq. Short block has new bearings, balanced rotating assembly with diamond forged pistons and it's almost newly done(about 1,000 miles) so i don't think it can be anything crazy in the bottom end. I only have the LS1 intake right now but even then i should see much better numbers. I don't know what else to do.

Anyone got any ideas on what's going on? too conservative of a tune?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Are you running stock pushrods?
Thunder Racing Heat Treated Chrome-Moly Pushrods, 7.400"
Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

very true my a/f ratio is very close to 14 to 1 and i was informed by speed inc. that my injectors were maxed out. new injectors are coming with the intake.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Roy V.
I have an intake off an 04 GTO which I believe is an LS6 intake. You can borrow it if you like to test it on your car. I work in Rolling Meadows.

Roy

Thanks Roy I'll keep ya in mind and I'll keep in touch once I do some compression testing and look at some other things.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheCarKid
Thanks Roy I'll keep ya in mind and I'll keep in touch once I do some compression testing and look at some other things.
I'm out of town from 2/28 through 3/6, otherwise, just let me know.

Roy
Old 02-25-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Roy V.
I'm out of town from 2/28 through 3/6, otherwise, just let me know.

Roy

Sounds good. Thanks again. I'll keep in touch.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just save up for the fast-ur going to want it anyways with that trex.

Quick Reply: TREX lows #'s. Not Happy....