Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through oil fast! Stock Internals.. what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going through oil fast! Stock Internals.. what gives?

After I had my Vig 3000 torque converter installed, about a week later my Low Oil light came on. I found this strange as I had never seen it before (40k miles). I took it back to the install shop and asked if there was possibly anything they coulda done. I didnt get a real clear answer, but they mentioned I was about 2qts short of oil, and that I should be running synthetic, not normal oil. So, I took their advice and changed my oil to synthetic that day. Well, 1200 miles later, Low oil comes on. I drive home, turn the car off, check my oil level.. NO OIL! The verrrry end of the dipstick is the only part that has any oil on it! Same as before! My question is, what could have caused this? Is it possible when the techs were installing my TC, they could have ruptured a seal, or is there an oil line they would have had to disconnect to install the TC? Tomorrow morning I'll find out if its just leaking, because I know I haven't been burning it (no smoke). Any suggestions would be appreciated! All stock internals, no engine mods, and no juice.

Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but I noticed a lack of power, and disappointing dyno runs after they installed the TC (300rwhp/311rwtq). I recently ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and noticed my torque levels increased to 328rwtq (efilive TQENG value.. compared to previous logs of ~310-312tq) and I seemed to have recover my "ooomph!". Not sure if it is related or not though.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going through oil fast! Stock Internals.. what gives?

Have you been running harder since the install? Higher RPMs? Just figure I throw this out there - food for thought. Tech Service Bulletin -

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-023

Date: October, 2001

Subject: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
(Replace Rings)

Models:
1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S - RPOs LS1, LS6)

Condition: Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

Cause: The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs - typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

Correction: A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important: Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Going through oil fast! Stock Internals.. what gives?

No thankfully that isnt my problem. I think I found it. This morning when I checked under my car, I had a fresh new 6"x6" oilspot. It appears to be coming from just behind the oil filter. That whole area is full of oil and is dripping like crazy. I also notice, at high engine loads, my oil pressure gauge hits 70, then drops way down to 35, then back to 40-50 when I let off. I'm positive it didn't drop like that before.