Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS4 110 Lsa First start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

There seems to be a lack of write ups for fly cutting pistons, so if you could take a couple of pictures when you do it I think it would be really beneficial for the site. As long as you are going to be flycutting and you will have the heads off of the car I would recommend that you have the heads milled and/or use thinner (.040 in) head gaskets. You will need to fly cut more (deeper into the piston) for the valves to clear than you would have with stock gaskets and milled heads, but I would hate to do all that work and not get at least a LITTLE more power out of it
Good luck with the rest of your build up
AJ
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You know, it's posts like this that really gets me pissed off. I listen to suppossed super hero ls1tech cam gurus all of the time, & half the time all they do is spread misinformation & half-truths. As one of the cam gurus of ls1tech, would you like to explain to us how much p/v will be lost by changing the lsa 1 degree? The p/v loss on a ms4 camshaft going from 111 to 110 is .00378". Is that 3.x thou loss enough to hit the pistons? Probably not.... That being said, anytime someone orders an MS4 on a 110 we tell them they better check p/v because that's not how we typically ship it.

If we're going to get worried about p/v we should really check some of the other vendors stuff. I see 240+ duration camshafts shipping from shops all the time with +4 advance....

If you're worried about 1 degree of lsa then you should be REALLY worried about some of the huge camshafts shipping with tons of advance.

Reading a few articles on camshafts doesn't make you a cam guru. Getting in this thread & telling everyone "search my name & you'll see I know what I'm talking about" is ridiculous. We're all on the board to learn... Most of the smart people in the world don't have to tell everyone they're smart. They let their actions do the talking.

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I think you have serious misconceptions about working on your motor. Don't take this the wrong way but you are doing what is not supposed to be done.

MS4 110 will have unsafe PTV clearance and you'll kiss your pistons. Just because a cam allows the motor to turn over, doesn't mean it clears.
Be prepared to get some valve work done and possibly a new motor.
You have been warned
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Where are you located? Has any of yuo guys done this before? Advice?

Pics? Referance?

Yes cam swap would probobly be easier. I just like the idea of this challange. Not many people have or will do this. This is a great cam, and I want to use it.
I'm right here in Jax...just shoot me a PM if you need a hand.
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
You know, it's posts like this that really gets me pissed off. I listen to suppossed super hero ls1tech cam gurus all of the time, & half the time all they do is spread misinformation & half-truths. As one of the cam gurus of ls1tech, would you like to explain to us how much p/v will be lost by changing the lsa 1 degree? The p/v loss on a ms4 camshaft going from 111 to 110 is .00378". Is that 3.x thou loss enough to hit the pistons? Probably not.... That being said, anytime someone orders an MS4 on a 110 we tell them they better check p/v because that's not how we typically ship it.

If we're going to get worried about p/v we should really check some of the other vendors stuff. I see 240+ duration camshafts shipping from shops all the time with +4 advance....

If you're worried about 1 degree of lsa then you should be REALLY worried about some of the huge camshafts shipping with tons of advance.

Reading a few articles on camshafts doesn't make you a cam guru. Getting in this thread & telling everyone "search my name & you'll see I know what I'm talking about" is ridiculous. We're all on the board to learn... Most of the smart people in the world don't have to tell everyone they're smart. They let their actions do the talking.
Thank You Jason, you are very kind.
Please enlighten us of the measured PTV on said cam (as per your extensive R&D).

Also can you in all open heart GARANTEE me and all others that those clearances are COMPLETELY SAFE.

FYI Kris just droped it in dot to dot.

Why are you attacking me? I said nothing bad about TSP. I am really surprised about your reaction. Really surprised. Especialy when I always pimp your shop and I'm one of your customers as well.

Show me one post where I say any negative things about TSP.

So instead of blasting me, please nourish us with tech.

All I said was (in a nutshell), PTV is dangerously tight, better make sure of the margins, and flycutting would be wise to achieve safe comfy margins.

So how true is this post:

Originally posted by Black02SS
KrisXpc... bad news sir.

I just got in touch with TSP.

Tolerences for the MS4 with a 111 LSA are as follows:

.060 on intake and .065 on Exhaust.

Tolerences for the MS4 on a 110 LSA are as follows:

.031 on intake and .036 on exhaust.

I told him it was going in your setup and there was nothing but dead silence on the phone followed by a quick, "Thaaaaat's not good."

I'm telling you, you're skating on thin ice...big time.

Just to put things in perspective, rod bolts can stretch .030 easy.

That cam in your motor = TIME BOMB.

Not being a smart ***, I just don't want to see a fellow f-body owner's motor be destroyed.
Because if that are the MS4 110 clearances, on a cam only LS1, I don't have to be a "Guru" to know that installing that in any motor would be foolish.

So give us the answers:
WHAT ARE THE CLEARANCES AS PER YOUR R&D EXPERIENCE

And again, Jason thank you for your kind comments.
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Jason!
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'm frustrated because you posted that he's going to have p/v problems because of the 110-111 lsa change. Those changes only lose .00378" p/v. As a result of your doom & gloom statements the customer is now completely unsatisfied with his purchase. I just think maybe looking into what claims your making before you post would definately benefit the entire ls1tech community. It's easy to make a incorrect statement online, the problem is it becomes gospil as soon as someone reads it.

I don't claim to know all the answers, I just try not to spread false information. Sorry I jumped on you so hard, but basically there's 5 pages of people talking about how TSP did something wrong on this order.

If those clearances are correct then there is a misgrind issue at comp & not at all a result of the 110 lobe seperation.

Those kind of clearances are terrible on both sides. If the p/v is properly checked & those are accurate numbers then the camshaft needs to be recut at comp cams.

That being said your statement the 110 caused p/v issues is completely incorrect.

LSA only effects exhaust clearance if memory serves me correctly. As a result worst case he should have only lost those 4 thou on the exhaust side.
These clearance specs stated above lead me to wonder:
1. is the p/v being measured properly
&
2. the camshaft must be misground on both intake & exhaust A LOT!!
Those type of clearances would lead me to believe the durations would have to be huge to cause those clearances...

Last edited by Jason 98 TA; 03-12-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2007 | 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm frustrated because you posted that he's going to have p/v problems because of the 110-111 lsa change. Those changes only lose .00378" p/v. As a result of your doom & gloom statements the customer is now completely unsatisfied with his purchase.
Jason, if some of the enthusiasts here do not know the PTV safe margins on LSx motors and are just willing to stick a cam in that big and take YOUR word for it, that is their issue. YOU could not PAY me to stick MS4 110 cam only in my motor, because I know better.

I just think maybe looking into what claims your making before you post would definately benefit the entire ls1tech community. It's easy to make a incorrect statement online, the problem is it becomes gospil as soon as someone reads it.
So prove me wrong and spill the measured PTV margins you experienced in your R&D.

I don't claim to know all the answers, I just try not to spread false information. Sorry I jumped on you so hard, but basically there's 5 pages of people talking about how TSP did something wrong on this order.
You read bits and pieces and missed the whole disussion.
I never mentionned TSP did anything wrong. Find me 1 post where I did.

If those clearances are correct then there is a misgrind issue at comp & not at all a result of the 110 lobe seperation.
Again what are the clearances?

Those kind of clearances are terrible on both sides. If the p/v is properly checked & those are accurate numbers then the camshaft needs to be recut at comp cams.
If that was the case, that is still your cam, from your store, paid at your store and shipped from your store. If cam is ground wrong, you should check it and make sure your customer wouldn't recieve such bad product.
But the post mentions a member who called YOUR shop and and he was quoting the conversation, so you are misunderstanding that post.

That being said your statement the 110 caused p/v issues is completely incorrect.
I did not make any statement that MS4 110 MADE any contact. Again I say clearances are too tight to run on the street with safety in mind.
Jason, you are still not answering any tech here. WHAT ARE THE MS4 110 CLEARANCE MARGINS AS PER YOUR R&D. surely you have installed this cam before.

Like I said, you picked bits here and there and are trying to stick it to me.
The whole argument for 2>3 pages was that lifts are the issue in PTV. I tried to explain that Lifts have very little to do at that size cam and that PTV is dictated by Durations and VEs.

LSA only effects exhaust clearance if memory serves me correctly. As a result worst case he should have only lost those 4 thou on the exhaust side.
These clearance specs stated above lead me to wonder:
1. is the p/v being measured properly
&
2. the camshaft must be misground on both intake & exhaust A LOT!!
Those type of clearances would lead me to believe the durations would have to be huge to cause those clearances...
Advance in grind affects exhaust clearance and retard affects intake.
PTV on Kris install was never measured. Cams should be degreed, that would tell the story of bad grind.

Again Kris did neither degree, nor measure PTV. As we both know that would be wise.

THERE WAS NO MENTION THAT MS4 110 MADE ANY CONTACT IN THIS THREAD.
But I said that it has the potential to do so.

You know Jason, you could have discussed this with me more privately if in any ways I wronged TSP. But you jumped the gun here, don't you think?

I try my best to help poeple not make mistakes (as per my knowledge and experience). When I'm wrong, I admit it. In this case Jason, there are poeple chiming in that have no idea what the LSx motor even looks like inside.
I still try to explain as best I can.
I always advise caution, to do it right.

Think of it this way Jason, if I wronged TSP and Kris was missinformed and unsatisfied as your customer, your attack on me in your post makes me unsatisfied (because you still did not prove that what I said is untrue), and I was your customer as well.

To recap in short, I said PTV is too tight on MS4 110 to be SAFE for street DD use and dot to dot install. Install should be done right (measure PTV and degree cam) and if way below .080 intake/.100 exhaust, better consider flycut. That is my opinion and I stick by it.

Now whether some poeple heed the advise or not, that is up to them. I'm convinced I'm right.

Rules of this forum is that members should not defame or attack sponsors, I think that the same rules apply back.
Instead of trying to ridicule me (you pissed me off but I do not feel ridiculed), you should be more careful in the way you handle situations like this.
I have nothing to loose, I do not have any business benefit from this forum.

So if Kris is now satisfied because you made him feel better by defaming me, your public attack on me just lost you my business, and that Jason is reality of how thin the line is between customer and business outlets.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 03-12-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2007 | 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Jason, if some of the enthusiasts here do not know the PTV safe margins on LSx motors and are just willing to stick a cam in that big and take YOUR word for it, that is their issue. YOU could not PAY me to stick MS4 110 cam only in my motor, because I know better.

So prove me wrong and spill the measured PTV margins you experienced in your R&D.

You read bits and pieces and missed the whole disussion.
I never mentionned TSP did anything wrong. Find me 1 post where I did.

Again what are the clearances?

If that was the case, that is still your cam, from your store, paid at your store and shipped from your store. If cam is ground wrong, you should check it and make sure your customer wouldn't recieve such bad product.
But the post mentions a member who called YOUR shop and and he was quoting the conversation, so you are misunderstanding that post.

I did not make any statement that MS4 110 MADE any contact. Again I say clearances are too tight to run on the street with safety in mind.
Jason, you are still not answering any tech here. WHAT ARE THE MS4 110 CLEARANCE MARGINS AS PER YOUR R&D. surely you have installed this cam before.

Like I said, you picked bits here and there and are trying to stick it to me.
The whole argument for 2>3 pages was that lifts are the issue in PTV. I tried to explain that Lifts have very little to do at that size cam and that PTV is dictated by Durations and VEs.

Advance in grind affects exhaust clearance and retard affects intake.
PTV on Kris install was never measured. Cams should be degreed, that would tell the story of bad grind.

Again Kris did neither degree, nor measure PTV. As we both know that would be wise.

THERE WAS NO MENTION THAT MS4 110 MADE ANY CONTACT IN THIS THREAD.
But I said that it has the potential to do so.

You know Jason, you could have discussed this with me more privately if in any ways I wronged TSP. But you jumped the gun here, don't you think?

I try my best to help poeple not make mistakes (as per my knowledge and experience). When I'm wrong, I admit it. In this case Jason, there are poeple chiming in that have no idea what the LSx motor even looks like inside.
I still try to explain as best I can.
I always advise caution, to do it right.

Think of it this way Jason, if I wronged TSP and Kris was missinformed and unsatisfied as your customer, your attack on me in your post makes me unsatisfied (because you still did not prove that what I said is untrue), and I was your customer as well.

To recap in short, I said PTV is too tight on MS4 110 to be SAFE for street DD use and dot to dot install. Install should be done right (measure PTV and degree cam) and if way below .080 intake/.100 exhaust, better consider flycut. That is my opinion and I stick by it.

Now whether some poeple heed the advise or not, that is up to them. I'm convinced I'm right.

Rules of this forum is that members should not defame or attack sponsors, I think that the same rules apply back.
Instead of trying to ridicule me (you pissed me off but I do not feel ridiculed), you should be more careful in the way you handle situations like this.
I have nothing to loose, I do not have any business benefit from this forum.

So if Kris is now satisfied because you made him feel better by defaming me, your public attack on me just lost you my business, and that Jason is reality of how thin the line is between customer and business outlets.
Very well said for a response. I read the whole thread, and see your trying to help, and lookout for the other members on this board and you are attacked by a Vendor that you have not only done business with, but i have seen you recomending them a number of times...thats rediculous. Its kinda funny reading the thread seeing that, and earlier to see how many other members her argue things that are clearly wrong. I think TSP should stop beating around the bush and state the clearances they have found during there R&D, since thats the really question at hand here. Stick to the point rather then bash one of the very few helpful, knowledgeable members on here.
Old 03-12-2007 | 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That being said, anytime someone orders an MS4 on a 110 we tell them they better check p/v because that's not how we typically ship it.
I want fact from opinion. Concrete evidence.. Im pretty pissed The only requirements I was told I would need were the springs..
Thanks Jason!
Kris: Thanks? Thanks for what? Notice the copied part? Even you noted in another post no one told you anything other then springs. This is exactly what we have been suggesting to make sure it clears and play it safe to check, just to be safe. Also nothing was answered directly.

Jason: If this is sufficient information for Kris. I’m glad he is happy, however I to would still like to get the numbers from the RnD that "predz" has been asking for. As I too have the same LSA cam which as you already know I wish to advance. As I'm sure you guys have to have some sort of numbers from all the testing and design.

Thanks,
-J
Old 03-12-2007 | 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 03-12-2007 | 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Although I don't know/don't like why TSP is dancing around the issue here and not answering questions, I do believe that Jason is right when he says states how LSA will affect PTV clearances.

Based on the ramp rates on the cams it is fairly easy to roughly calculate the (valve lift)/(degree of duration) based on .006" and .050" duration numbers and by changing the LSA by one degree only appears to add/subtract about .003" of lift per degree of advance/LSA change. It is easy math, do it yourself.

So I don't know where the other numbers from earlier in the post came from stated that TSP said that the clearances where reduced ~ 0.030", but I think that .003" is closer to right, but of course, it is really best to degree the cam and to check PTV and I think that would be Kris' most logical next step before you get to swapping cams or flycutting pistons, just measure PTV clearances
Old 03-13-2007 | 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XxNaSDaQxX
Kris: Thanks? Thanks for what? Notice the copied part? Even you noted in another post no one told you anything other then springs. This is exactly what we have been suggesting to make sure it clears and play it safe to check, just to be safe. Also nothing was answered directly.

Jason: If this is sufficient information for Kris. I’m glad he is happy, however I to would still like to get the numbers from the RnD that "predz" has been asking for. As I too have the same LSA cam which as you already know I wish to advance. As I'm sure you guys have to have some sort of numbers from all the testing and design.

Thanks,
-J
The thanks was for taking the time to try and resolve an issue and for Pming me.. He called me this morning aswell..

Ill be satisfied when I hear " P/V clearance will not be an issue with your setup Kris."
Old 03-13-2007 | 12:38 PM
Launching!

No member provided me with a link I ******* looked on the site and the 110 LSA is on there if you buy it with springs use your eyes also I'm getting tired of people saying that I said yes to the 110 LSA fitting with LS6 stage 1 heads they will fit, but no they won't fit with 5.3's and I talk to Jon all the time I've probably called there 50+ times and they tell me the same thing everytime and i don't seem to have too much of a problem getting through to them but maybe cus I'm always on the phone with them lol

Sorry for being an *** right now just getting tired of hearing I'm wrong when I talk to them all the time
Old 03-13-2007 | 12:46 PM
Launching!

For those of you who say the 110 LSA is not on the website here is the link
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49
Thanks and have a good day
Old 03-13-2007 | 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS
For those of you who say the 110 LSA is not on the website here is the link
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49
Thanks and have a good day

Tell your buddies at TSP im still patiently waiting for a Pm or a phone call with some numbers and some assurance this cam is fine..

Im tired of looking at my car.

Hey Tsp, Do I have to go directly to your shop to get some answers?
Old 03-13-2007 | 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 03-13-2007 | 05:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Guys I don't get why you think I'm dancing around anything here. The ms4 I checked last time has about 72/87 clearances. So say the 110 lost 4 thou exhaust p/v. That puts him at still over 80 thou. I have personally run my own car with clearances down under 50 thou.

I talked with the gentlemen that bought the camshaft about a hour ago. We discussed how the camshaft was setup & what kind of clearances I typically see.

What I have issue with mr. predator is you state you wouldn't run the ms4 on a 110 lobe seperation. If your so concerned about the p/v on that camshaft why don't you checkout a few of the other large camshafts available on the market. I think you'll find there is a 240/244 with tons of advance, and a 244/248 camshaft both of which have considerable less p/v than the ms4 does.

All I'm trying to get across here is 1 degree of lsa does not cause a camshaft to not clear.

Furthermore, the camshaft in question never was checked to have anything near .03x clearance. That was a rumor and nothing more.

I'm sorry I got so bent out of shape at you predator, but a lot of people rely on you to tell them accurate information. Claiming a camshaft will not clear based off 1 degree of lsa is just a little bit crazy...
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why does everyone believe that they are an expert? Quit busting the sponsor’s ***. The members of LS1Tech need to pay attention to the sponsors. TSP sells and installs cams every day all day long. They have checked every possible clearance situation. They know the products they sell better than anyone else. I would think that you could trust their opinion before the so called internet expert.

Last edited by TVWilkes; 03-14-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2007 | 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
Why does everyone believe that they are an expert? Quit busting the sponsor’s ***. The members of LS1Tech need to pay attention to the sponsors. TSP sells and installs cams every day all day long. They have checked every possible clearance situation. They know the products they sell well than anyone else. I would think that you could trust their opinion before the so called internet expert.

I don't think that everybody believes that they are an expert, but I do think that Predator knows as much as anybody on this site and I consider him to be an expert and if he can't give his opinion and try to help somebody out without getting his ***** busted then why is there even LS1tech.com, I thought that was the purpose of this website. Maybe he was off a little on this issue and clearances aren't as close as he thought, but he gave his advice way before TSP ever stepped into this thread.

If your advise is to always trust the sponsor's opinion, then maybe the forums should be shut down and all that is left is sponsor links. After all "they know the products they sell well than anyone else" whatever the hell that means, and do you really believe that they "have checked every possible situation", what a bonehead comment. I just think that you need to get off of TSP's nuts, they have made their share of mistakes too.
Old 03-13-2007 | 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

despite the bickering, the bottom line is this:

should krisxpc flycut? i have not seen a yes or no answer from the designers of this cam. however, i have seen a lot of slander and reference to instances that don't answer this question.

yes or no.

Quick Reply: MS4 110 Lsa First start up