Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam wont go in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, enjoying my laughter with myself as well, casue most of us reading this have been there for atleast one of your troubles, or will be there. I highly recommend the cran dual spring tool that does both intake and exhaust together, also... The knock-off one will work, it just sucks,a dn bruises your hands up. My locks were stuck in the retainers, so i would tighten tool all the way on springs, have half inch gap between head and spring, and it still would not dro-p the ock out of the reatiner on ten of them. This was at 2a.m. at nine the next morning i took a ball peen hammer to them, realizing i wasn't reusing, and they broke free. Then cake from there. The pulley is really not as difficult as everyone makes it in my opinion. I have done mine, and two buddy's cars with a rubber mallet and my old stock crank bolt. Hammer in enough to catch bolt, then crank it down and replace bolt. aGood luck and when you hear that idle, you realize it was worth every freakin minute of pain and frustration.
Old 03-11-2007 | 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do not hammer the balancer. Just heat it up at 200* for 5 minutes or so and with a dab of grease it goes on rather easy. If you need to hit it a bit, put a wood plank flat across it and hit that with a rubber mallet.
Old 03-11-2007 | 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Why do so many people love to use their oven to put their engines together. You guys need to invite Martha Stewart over to the house to have her advise you on how to get your motor back in working order. I'll bet you guys even have an oven mit hanging up on the pegboard in your garage. Heat is for baking cookies not putting your engine back together. You slide the new dual sprocket on the crank as far as it will go. Put the old sprocket on top of it next. You hit the old sprocket with a rubber mallet or a brass knocker and hammer or even a piece of 2X4 with a hammer. Drive the new sprocket home until it bucks up against the step on the crank made for that purpose. Just curious, but do you have an over out in the garage to heat up your engine parts. That probably saves time running back and forth trying to get the engine parts at just the right temperature so they will go together. Besides with the oven out in the garage you can bake cookies WHILE your fixing your motor. Just remember to wipe the grease off of your hands before you put those cookies on the baking sheet. Nobody like greasy chocolate chip cookies.
Old 03-11-2007 | 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Do not hammer the balancer. Just heat it up at 200* for 5 minutes or so and with a dab of grease it goes on rather easy. If you need to hit it a bit, put a wood plank flat across it and hit that with a rubber mallet.
Good old garage engineering... I'll have to wait until Tuesday prob though because I lost a keeper and dont have spares.
Also ordering the tims tool tomorrow so should go alot smoother than the jaw type.
Old 03-11-2007 | 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Reminds me of the swap I did last summer with a bunch of crap coming up.

I had 2 magnet heads stick to the lifters
Old 03-12-2007 | 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck!

also i had the keepers.. i was gunna give them to u.. o well hope you get her running soon!
Old 03-12-2007 | 04:24 AM
TECH Resident
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Why do so many people love to use their oven to put their engines together. You guys need to invite Martha Stewart over to the house to have her advise you on how to get your motor back in working order. I'll bet you guys even have an oven mit hanging up on the pegboard in your garage. Heat is for baking cookies not putting your engine back together. You slide the new dual sprocket on the crank as far as it will go. Put the old sprocket on top of it next. You hit the old sprocket with a rubber mallet or a brass knocker and hammer or even a piece of 2X4 with a hammer. Drive the new sprocket home until it bucks up against the step on the crank made for that purpose. Just curious, but do you have an over out in the garage to heat up your engine parts. That probably saves time running back and forth trying to get the engine parts at just the right temperature so they will go together. Besides with the oven out in the garage you can bake cookies WHILE your fixing your motor. Just remember to wipe the grease off of your hands before you put those cookies on the baking sheet. Nobody like greasy chocolate chip cookies.

your right, we shouldn't use something that works like this because its too girly...instead we should beat it on with a hammer. It won't break, honest.
Old 03-12-2007 | 10:09 PM
Launching!

I AM A ******* IDIOT! Well I finally finished installing my springs tonight w/ this POS over the head thing and just when I pick up the howto guide to see whats next, I see where it says to hammer the new seals down w/ a socket.
I start thinking.... **** I just stuck them down on the bottom of the valve. So I just wasted 3 days of HARD *** ******* labor. I'm not sure weather to go cry or knock myself out against a brick wall.

My life just went from pure joy and excitment to pure hell in the blink of an eye...

I'm screwed right? Gotta tear into them again and hammer the seals down?

Last edited by tuffass; 03-12-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:14 PM
Banned

Use the right tools and the job is easy.
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Use the right tools and the job is easy.
God I'm kicking myself in the *** over this. All that toruble for NOTHING!

I would love to buy the crane tool for my second mission at this but I cant afford it after already going over my budget by about 500.00.
I'm going to have to order the Tims tool today and see if it makes life a little easier.
Hopefully it wont take me another 2 days to do them again with this and an air compressor.
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the Crane tool and would use nothing else ever again Works really easy and gets springs done very quick.

Also use grease on the locks to hold them to the valvestem when you are doing the spring swap, this will save lots of time.

Dan
Old 03-13-2007 | 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLPSS99
I used the Crane tool and would use nothing else ever again Works really easy and gets springs done very quick.

Also use grease on the locks to hold them to the valvestem when you are doing the spring swap, this will save lots of time.

Dan
Yeah i think i learned every trick in the bool using this tool. It worked flawlessly on the irst cylinder. Took me 20 minutes to swap out the springs. got to the 2nd one and it wouldnt hold the springs anymore. Finally got it to work after i heat up the legs of the jaws that hold the spring w/ a clow torch and beat the **** out of them with a hammer. i had to do this about 5 times yesterday because it kept slowly losing grip on the springs.
Old 03-13-2007 | 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLPSS99

Dan
If I could go back to last week, I would have bought this as it would have already paid for itself in frustration and time. But unfortunately now i dont have the money. So I'll have to settle with the next best thing. Tims tool.
Old 03-13-2007 | 09:37 AM
Banned

People.. learn from his mistakes. YOU DONT NEED TO BUT ANYTHING. I RENT THE TOOLS YOU NEED FOR A DECENT PRICE.
Its to late for this guy and the larry tool or tim tool will make it take longer than needed as well. Get the right tools and its a peice of cake. JRP lifter rods, Crane dual spring compressor and the air fitting for the cylinder to used compressd air to hold the valves up. If this guy had used them instead of trying to wing it he'd be done. I charge less than the larry or tim tool and you dont get a home made peice of flat stock. You get the real deal.
Old 03-13-2007 | 10:44 AM
Launching!

Okay well after venting and bitching to my wife about it for 12 hours or so now, she gave me the go ahead to order the Crane dual compressor. I'm ordering it right this second. I'll keep this very close to me from now on.
Old 04-10-2007 | 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Damn man it seems like if you would have spent an extra $1100 or so dollars on some TSP heads it would have saved you a shitload of time on all this "spring changing" but how is it going, did you get it done??

Quick Reply: Cam wont go in!