Sponsored by:

Yella Terra Rockers!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Ultralite Yella Terra Rockers

Hi Guys,

Better late than never ...Just got on the forum.....

Our objective on the redesign is to reduce the overall reciprocating weight(moving parts) of the YT rocker. After hrs of design, industry feedback and tests ..the YT Ultralites for the LS series engine are performing extremely well with performance hydraulic roller and mild solid roller applications.

The Ultralites have 50% less nose weight of other roller tip rockers and do fit under the rocker covers with no machining.

The question always comes up in regards to the Ultralites YT rocker weight

Reciprocating weight- Moving Parts
Factory LS1 rocker arm 80.5g (2.840 oz)
Yella Terra Ultralite Rocker Arm 69.6g (2.455 oz)

Nose Weight on Roller Tip Rockers
Yella Terra Ultralite Rocker Arm Nose 15.5g (0.547 oz)
Yella Terra Std LS1 Rocker Arm Nose 23g (0.811oz)
Other LS1 Manufacturers Rockers 24g -35.0g (0.847 -1.235oz)

Hope this helps ....and speak to our boys at Yella Terra USA Headquarters Meridian MS 601 485 3355 for your nearest dealer such as New Era/AFR etc who carry the products.

rgds

JJ
YELLA TERRA
[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Yella Terra Rockers!!-_mg_9294.jpg   Yella Terra Rockers!!-_mg_9438.jpg   Yella Terra Rockers!!-_mg_9420.jpg  

Last edited by LS1267; 04-04-2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: new pic
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I may just get a set of these.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like YT is the way to go. nobody else has been talking about HS since YT's fine points had been POINTED out. to be honest I have yet to run them but, the research I have done tell me "there better then stock with high duration and high lift cams" which is the cam I'm currently running. I have YT at home waiting for my arrival so they can be installed. I'm running Patriot gold spring (.650 max lift) cam is 231/237 .589/.595 . yup! I worried about trunion bearing falling out so I started looking foe after market roller rockers. I like what I've read about YT, now if only HS can convince me why theirs are better I'm sticking with YT.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I know this is an old thread, but I have been trying to dig up some info on the stock rocker (upgraded) vs the YT ultralites vs a true shaft mount setup. I just had some older Jesel J2K's fail so I am sending them back for evaluation. We shall see what they decide to do. Even if they replace them or assist in the purchase of a new set, I am unsure if I want to use the Jesel's again. They seem tol be quite heavy. I know the shaft mounts are supposed to be good with geometry and high rev's, but these were heavy enough to require stiffer springs to offset the weight. From the info on Jesel's website, most of their rockers are around 200 gr. I am unsure if that is with lash adjusters and nose rollers or not.

This is why I am trying to compare apples to apples. It seems that the YT Ultalites are some of the lightest roller tipped rockers available. However, I think the info posted above is misleading and would like someone to verify.

Reciprocating weight- Moving Parts
Factory LS1 rocker arm 80.5g (2.840 oz)
Yella Terra Ultralite Rocker Arm 69.6g (2.455 oz)

This makes it seem as though the YT's are lighter than stock. yet he states "- moving parts" this would include the nose roller would it not. This is a heavy item and deffinately should be included in an apples to apples comparison to stock. Just because the stocker does not have a roller doesn't mean you get to leave it off the YT when comparing weight. Now both trunnion bearings yes, but not the roller as needed to opperate propperly. Correct me if those weights are with nose roller. If not, how much weight does the roller add?

Nose Weight on Roller Tip Rockers
Yella Terra Ultralite Rocker Arm Nose 15.5g (0.547 oz)
Yella Terra Std LS1 Rocker Arm Nose 23g (0.811oz)
Other LS1 Manufacturers Rockers 24g -35.0g (0.847 -1.235oz)

Also notice no nose weight comparison to stock. has to be more due to roller weight.

I am noot saying this is bad, I am just trying to gather real numbers for equal comparrison. Light and stiffness is king in valvle train. If I am going to have to buy new rockers, I want to have the correct data. It seems no one is as light as stock. Once the bearings are upgraded, reliability is fixed. I am unsure about the stiffness of the stock rocker vs the Ultralight or the jesel for that matter.

I also see where Vettenuts experimented with stock rockers and while the weight was great, wipe sucked. It seems that on larger cams, the poor wipe and guide wear issues outweigh the weight supperiority. Is this really the case or poor setup? Are the YT ultralites the next lightest option for larger cams?

This is where I am at so far. No silver bullet. Anyone make a better light steel rocker that is stiffer than stock with good wipe pattern?

Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

You're correct stock rockers are still the lightest ones out there. I had the YT Ultralites but sold them and went back to stock rockers because I upgraded to lightweight intake valves and stiffer 8019 AFR springs. It took some time, but I did get a decent wipe pattern. Curious to see Vettenuts results for wipe pattern stock vs YT.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

found this:

I have taken the tip weight measurement you identify here. I have a medical scale that's accurate to a tenth of a gram. I have a calibration weight that I test accuracy with to ensure weight measurements are correct. Here's what I came up with:

Test condition: The rocker arm trunnion supported and the tip of the rocker on the scale. Scale zeroed prior to measurement.

Stock rocker: 8.2 grams
Crane 1.8 roller rocker: 22.8 grams
Harland Sharp non-adjustable 1.7 roller rocker: 22.5 grams

I would be interested in the tip weight of the Yella Terra's, I assume your using 1.7 ratio.

looking at the info above, the tip weight is 15.5 for the UL's. This is 7.3 grams more than the stocker. Could this also be the weight of the roller assembly. This would make the UL's only 76.9. I do not think this is the case. How much does a roller assembly weigh. These seem to be reall close though.

Mike

Quick Reply: Yella Terra Rockers!!