Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring install nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Triple check everything before you fire it up. Keep the fuel pump fuse out and coil rack disconnected. Crank with starter a few times so you see oil pressure.
Reconnect fuse and coil packs and 1 quick prayer.
Fire up the beast. It will smoke like crazy in the bay for a bit so do not freak.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Triple check everything before you fire it up. Keep the fuel pump fuse out and coil rack disconnected. Crank with starter a few times so you see oil pressure.
Reconnect fuse and coil packs and 1 quick prayer.
Fire up the beast. It will smoke like crazy in the bay for a bit so do not freak.
Gotcha.. thanks man!

I'm twiddling my thumbs until 5:00 and I'm hauling *** home to finish this up. I can't WAIT to hear this ****** start after a week in the garage. I started this mess last thursday night.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffass
Gotcha.. thanks man!

I'm twiddling my thumbs until 5:00 and I'm hauling *** home to finish this up. I can't WAIT to hear this ****** start after a week in the garage. I started this mess last thursday night.
Think of it as one long foreplay and your best orgasm once you hear it crackle.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

When I installed mine I didn't know what the hell to do with them at first...after looking at the stock seals I just tried to match how hight they were compared to the stock seals... Weird thing to me was that there was a little gap imbetween the valve seat and the botton of the seal. The stock ones that were on my car were all one piece...seat and seal.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget to heat cycle the valvesprings!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vette1171
When I installed mine I didn't know what the hell to do with them at first...after looking at the stock seals I just tried to match how hight they were compared to the stock seals... Weird thing to me was that there was a little gap imbetween the valve seat and the botton of the seal. The stock ones that were on my car were all one piece...seat and seal.
I noticed that last night. I just beat the **** out of them until it made a diff tone so i knew i had bottomed out.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Don't forget to heat cycle the valvesprings!!!
I hope to go for a nice cruise tonight if all goes well and i get her started. Then I can let her cool over night and I'll drive to work tomorrow and let it cool durring the day... Then on the way home, Watch the **** out cause here i come bitches!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed that last night. I just beat the **** out of them until it made a diff tone so i knew i had bottomed out.
That's the exact same thing I did....It seemed to run just fine so I'm assuming they were installed correctly. In fact my car seems to have less valvetrain noise than others with the MS4 that I've heard...so I was kinda supprised that it sounded almost stock after the install, especially with the lift on this cam!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

I hope to go for a nice cruise tonight if all goes well and i get her started. Then I can let her cool over night and I'll drive to work tomorrow and let it cool durring the day... Then on the way home, Watch the **** out cause here i come bitches!
I still haven't opened it up really hard but I've had a couple 4 to 5K pulls and i can tell I have around 40 to 50 more HP...and I like it
Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA.

Have fun but be safe!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I changed all my seals last night, with the larry tool, using the TDC method by turning the balancer with my hand, and it took me about 3 hours...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

retainers are titanium, arent magnetic. Never got the "Good tool" Thought i would be able to knock it out maybe with a little more effort. Turned out to be a Hell of a lot more effort.
**** happens, at least you caught it before all hell brokeloose after you drove it.

Now you know it will be done right. thats what matters.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

so if you just push the seals on by hand all the way down to where they seat in, this will be a problem? do you HAVE to hammer them down?