Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring install nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring install nightmare!!!

I AM A F**KING IDIOT! Well I finally finished installing my springs tonight w/ this POS over the head thing and just when I pick up the howto guide to see whats next, I see where it says to hammer the new seals down w/ a socket.
I start thinking.... **** I just stuck them down on the bottom of the valve. So I just wasted 3 days of HARD *** ******* labor. I'm not sure weather to go cry or knock myself out against a brick wall.

My life just went from pure joy and excitment to pure hell in the blink of an eye...

I'm screwed right? Gotta tear into them again and hammer the seals down?

how long would it normally take with the crane tool?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Sucky, it may be time to invest in one of those expensive spring compressors.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Yeah, hammer them seals down or you'll be burning oil. Take a socket a little smaller than the seal. You'll know when you have it down all the way. It makes a different sound once you get it set. Hope you still have that spring tool that you borrowed or bought. Your going to have to take the springs back off. A piece of advice, go buy a little magnet to put on top of the retainers to keep them from flying everywhere. One of those little extendable pen magnets that they sell at Vatozone works pretty good. What way are you going about doing the valves? Are you using the top dead center method or are you using a compressor? Either way, try not to drop a valve in the cylinder or you'll be taking the heads off. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phantompooper
Sucky, it may be time to invest in one of those expensive spring compressors.
really dont have a choice i guess anymore. I called in to day to get this **** finished and have been working on it since 7:30 this morning. It's 10"20 now and I got the last spring on an hour ago.
If I go through what I've delt with over the past 3 days fighting with this compressor again, I'll literlly loose my sanity.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Plus I probably wont have wheels again until next weekend instead of TONIGHT!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nmhellraiser
Yeah, hammer them seals down or you'll be burning oil. Take a socket a little smaller than the seal. You'll know when you have it down all the way. It makes a different sound once you get it set. Hope you still have that spring tool that you borrowed or bought. Your going to have to take the springs back off. A piece of advice, go buy a little magnet to put on top of the retainers to keep them from flying everywhere. One of those little extendable pen magnets that they sell at Vatozone works pretty good. Hope this helps.
retainers are titanium, arent magnetic. Never got the "Good tool" Thought i would be able to knock it out maybe with a little more effort. Turned out to be a Hell of a lot more effort.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tuffass
Plus I probably wont have wheels again until next weekend instead of TONIGHT!!!
BUY THE CRANE TOOL and thank me later. TRUST ME!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I offered you a good deal on the tool rental. You should have taken me up on it. You still can. It will go priority and be there in 2 days 3 max. pm me
Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Crane tool!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Launching!

I did not knock mine down with a socket, i pushed them down with my fingers after putting some grease on them and they have a solid click when they go into place. It doesn't require a socket so if you pushed them into place you may not have to take the springs off again. If you didn't get yourself a crane or larry tool and save some headaches or knuckle aches.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Vinci High Performance has the best price on the Crane Tool >>>>>>>>>>

I can't tell you how much time this tools saves and there is minimal effort involved. I am using mine right now to rebuild a set of heads, best thing you can buy and you will need to be changing springs in the future so make the investment now and save yourself some grief. Careful what tool you use to put on the valve seals, you can damage them and then you will be in there again.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To a void this guys mistakes you need to use the right tools for the job. Crane dual spring tool, JPR lifter rods, and the fittings for compressed air in the cylinder to hold the valves up.
I rent out all three for $30 for a long as you need (within reason of course).
You dont need to spend $240 on tools. You just need to rent them. Why buy tools your only going to use once. I rent for less than the cost of the larry or tim tool.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Vinci High Performance has the best price on the Crane Tool >>>>>>>>>>

I can't tell you how much time this tools saves and there is minimal effort involved. I am using mine right now to rebuild a set of heads, best thing you can buy and you will need to be changing springs in the future so make the investment now and save yourself some grief. Careful what tool you use to put on the valve seals, you can damage them and then you will be in there again.
Thank you! i just ordered it for overnight delivery. I was thinking about the Tims tool but I dont want to fight with these anymore. i want everything to go as smooth as possible.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

where in austin are you?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

We were doin a spring, cam and intake swap job on my Z last night. Compressed air a must, right spring compression tool also a must. Instead of going through the nightmare of doing them over the top (f**king cowl space or lack there of) we decided to invest 1:30 hr and dropped the engine and tranny. Soooo much easier this way and can do other things like EGR/AIR removal, intake swap, ect. I feel for you cause we started by workin on the springs on top first and then decided it would be much easier to drop that sucker then work on it. Not always the best choice for some, but definately the right choice for us. BTW, we tried the socket approach and ruined one of the new seals
Good luck !!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
BUY THE CRANE TOOL and thank me later. TRUST ME!
x 1000 Best $100 i have spent. I persoanlly used it on 4 sets of valve springs in less than a year, and all of my friends have borrowed it as well. Money well spent IMO.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Launching!

I AM DONE! w/ the springs anyway... I thank all of you who suggested to get the dual spring tool. I knocked that **** out again but this time in 2 1/2 hours! YESssss.....

Got the rockers back on, valve covers back on, and pvc connections hoocked back up but it was 12:30 by this point so i decided to save the final stuff for tonight. And getting that engine seal out of the timing cover was about PITA but the new one slid back in like butter. No pressure needed...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 AM

Hmmm... I can't say anything about the quality of decision you made after asking for input (link below) because I'm stubborn myself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/672806-autozone-spring-compressor.html

Ben T.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Studytime
Hmmm... I can't say anything about the quality of decision you made after asking for input (link below) because I'm stubborn myself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672806

Ben T.
Hey man, this is the first time i've ever done a spring swap and I was low on cash thus the reason taking the "hard road" and trying to save a little extra cash.
Well i had to find out the hard way like I've done many times in my life. This crane tool saved me all of the pain and frustration and was a real life saver after the **** i put myself through with that over head jaw type compressor! Never again... NEVER AGAIN!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 AM

Well, in that case I'm impatient too.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Ben T.