Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to I check my bottom end? (any tests I can do from home?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to I check my bottom end? (any tests I can do from home?)

I'm starting to order parts for my winter buildup. But before I start ordering I want to make sure the bottom end is ok.

Here's why i'm somewhat concerned. Under high cylinder pressures (3rd gear, WOT or deceleration from high speeds) the car sometimes blows out white smoke (or it appears white through the rearview mirror). It doesn't do this all the time and only seems to do it after the motor has been running for a while (i drove 500 miles to the f-body celebration, first 250 miles or so , messing around on the highway, WOT alot it was fine, but then it did it once... played some more and nothing then it would do it again).

There isn't any coolant in my oil, and it doesn't seem to be burning coolant.

But, I want to do any tests I can to check for any damage before I order any parts (if i need a new bottom end then I'll go with an engine builder and have a new motor built).

So here's what I'm thinking:

Leak down test
Compression test

Will either of these tests tell me the condition the piston rings are in? Is there any way to tell the condition of the main bearing? (without pulling the motor apart). Last 3 times I changed my oil there weren't any metal shavings on the magnet. Time before little shavings, but they were very small and not much of them.

Are there any other tests I can run?

Thanks for any help

Mike

<small>[ September 30, 2002, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: horist ]</small>