Sponsored by:

Engine / Trans alignment pin - messed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine / Trans alignment pin - messed up

Howdy,
Working on an engine for a friend. I think that it was bought out of a wrecked car - one of the alignment pins for aligning the engine / trans is missing and the metal looks stressed in the area where it looks as though it was pulled out slightly sideways.

Any thoughts on fixing this - just get a new pin and see if i can put it back in straight?

Thanks,
James
Old 03-22-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any experience in putting something like a pin into a block, but I emagine that's your best bet. If it doesn't take a considerable amount of force to get the pin back in, then I'd rethink my next step. Have you tested the other bolt holes to make sure they're all okay?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think i may have one of the alignment dowels laying around, i can mail it to ya if you want when i find it.

You can just buy a new one and push it back in though. All you do is force it in . Lube it up and twist and push.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Launching!

I wsa wondering if i should try to ream / hone the hole out but i'm afraid that i might do more dage to the alignment that way. Is it possible to force it though from the otherside (engine side)?

The top bolt hole has a broken bolt in it - with a broken ease-out in the center, I think someone tried to fix it already

look at the top bolt -

The rest of the bolt holes look okay, someone tried to put the wrong thread bolts in some of them - buit they didn't go very deep and i was able to run a tap in and clean them up.

Photo of a damaged thread -

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NICE looking El Camino BTW.

I think that nub only goes in one way, you won't be able to push it through from the engine side.