Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilling out the throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling out the throttle body?

i hear this alot about ppl running the hot cam needing to drill out the throttle body in order for it to idle, what does that mean? pics? thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Default Re: drilling out the throttle body?

There is a small hole in the TB Blade to allow a little air to flow when the TB Blade is shut. This allows the car to idle. With some of the medium to big aftermarket cams, the hole in the TB Blade has to be enlarged to get a decent idle with an untuned car. This allows more air into the engine which raises the idle higher. The bigger cams smooth out some at higher rpms.

I think most drill the TB 1/64 of an inch bigger at a time until a acceptable idle is found. If the hole gets to big the car will idle too high.

Someone else can probably add more details.

Not sure if cars with tuning ever have to have the TB drilled myself.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: drilling out the throttle body?

guys,

As one of the big throttle body guys I have an idea for you reguarding this.

I have a great system for tuning the throttle blade hole with out drilling it.

In stead of the hole and drill bits, I have designed a adjustable "jet" system that will let you change the hole in the throttle plate just like changing jets in a carb. You need a bigger hole, put a bigger jet in. If you go to far you can always go back, makes it much more user friendly.

The jets will be made on a CNC and be very accurate, I would like to offer this as a option on my 75mm units, and a standard feature on the up and comming large bore units for race cars and Holley or Custom intakes.

What do ya think.

Bret