Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 Rotating Assemblys.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 383 Rotating Assemblys.

Who has the best deal on 383 rotating assemblys. Looking to step up, an keep my afr 205s an fast 90 setup.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to beat the Eagle assemblys. My favorite is the flat top piston with the 6.200 rod.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Depends on what you are looking for cheap or quality? You can get a cheap setup from Eagle, but they will require some more machining to fit and balance properly. If you want high quality parts look at for cranks - Callies, Lunati; for rod - Manley, Callies, Lunati; for pistons - Diamond or Mahle.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Eagle through a reputable company that I am not sure is a sponsor. AFR uses them so that can't be that bad. They have also competed in a few engine master challanges. With it balanced with Diamond pistons it was $2,350 to my door. They have used this assembly up to 1,000hp. I will PM you with the name of the company.

Brett
Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pray
I went with Eagle through a reputable company that I am not sure is a sponsor. AFR uses them so that can't be that bad. They have also competed in a few engine master challanges. With it balanced with Diamond pistons it was $2,350 to my door. They have used this assembly up to 1,000hp. I will PM you with the name of the company.

Brett
you have a pm
Old 03-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Depends on what you are looking for cheap or quality? You can get a cheap setup from Eagle, but they will require some more machining to fit and balance properly. If you want high quality parts look at for cranks - Callies, Lunati; for rod - Manley, Callies, Lunati; for pistons - Diamond or Mahle.

X2...
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Answered.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

I will let you know about the machining to fit and balanced properly 383 Stroker kit from Eagle. The proof is in the pudding and I will post my findings based on facts and not hear say. Are you saying that JE pistons are not quality - that happens to be the pistons that W2W generally uses. Quality is not based on dollars spent, but rather on the reliability of the parts that are being evaluated. Give us some proof on what you consider to be quality vs cheap - talk is cheap and so is bullshit!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Callies and Lunati may be better parts, but I personally have used probly at least 25 eagle rotators in the past year and they all seemed to balance out well and install without any problems. Alot of 402/408's and alot of 383's.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by david vericker
I will let you know about the machining to fit and balanced properly 383 Stroker kit from Eagle. The proof is in the pudding and I will post my findings based on facts and not hear say. Are you saying that JE pistons are not quality - that happens to be the pistons that W2W generally uses. Quality is not based on dollars spent, but rather on the reliability of the parts that are being evaluated. Give us some proof on what you consider to be quality vs cheap - talk is cheap and so is bullshit!
There is nothing wrong with JE pistons I just did not mention them as I have never used them for anything. Quality in most cases does cost more and thus you will spend more money on the quality parts. A Callies crank is a perfect example when compared to an Eagle crank. Eagle's tolerance that I have seen in engines is no were near the closer tolerances of Callies cranks. The Eagle stuff works great in old SBC applications because the tolerances are not so exact. When you get into LS based applications things are much more precise. I have seen at least two engines using Eagle stuff that had to have more material taken off the rotating assembly to properly clear the block and balance. This means you put more work in making those products properly balance. This is due to the difference in manufacturing of these products and some of the extra work you pay for when you purchase a crank from Callies or Lunati.

As for reliabiliy a decently forged steel crank will have the same strenght as the more expensive one. There is not many things to change in the process of forging steel except the mixture of the steel components. A 4340 steel has to meet certain criteria for strength to be considered as that alloy. That will make the reliability the same since all 4340 steel should fall between a range of characteristics for that metal.

Finally, I would ask why do you come out here with that attitude? You could have kindly asked me to explain my reasonings instead of essentially calling me a liar. It seems that you are more of a Troll when you come across acting like you did.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

There is nothing wrong with JE pistons I just did not mention them as I have never used them for anything. Quality in most cases does cost more and thus you will spend more money on the quality parts. A Callies crank is a perfect example when compared to an Eagle crank. Eagle's tolerance that I have seen in engines is no were near the closer tolerances of Callies cranks. The Eagle stuff works great in old SBC applications because the tolerances are not so exact. When you get into LS based applications things are much more precise. I have seen at least two engines using Eagle stuff that had to have more material taken off the rotating assembly to properly clear the block and balance. This means you put more work in making those products properly balance. This is due to the difference in manufacturing of these products and some of the extra work you pay for when you purchase a crank from Callies or Lunati.

As for reliabiliy a decently forged steel crank will have the same strenght as the more expensive one. There is not many things to change in the process of forging steel except the mixture of the steel components. A 4340 steel has to meet certain criteria for strength to be considered as that alloy. That will make the reliability the same since all 4340 steel should fall between a range of characteristics for that metal.

Finally, I would ask why do you come out here with that attitude? You could have kindly asked me to explain my reasonings instead of essentially calling me a liar. It seems that you are more of a Troll when you come across acting like you did.
Actually 4340 refers to the chemical analysis of a particular heat of steel. If your not familiar with the term "heat" when referencing steel - it is a laddle of molten steel prior to teeming. The alloying of the 4340 grade of steel allows the material to obtain the desired mechanical properties during cold working.

I fail to see the term liar used anywhere in my previous post. You are not a liar or a metallurgist for that matter.

When one refers to a manufactured product as being cheap, that implies that the part or parts are not reliabe and will fail in the field.

Guys out there - please grade your Eagle 383 stroker kit - is it a peice of cheap junk or a good reliable product?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:18 AM
11 Second Club

Actually 4340 refers to the chemical analysis of a particular heat of steel. If your not familiar with the term "heat" when referencing steel - it is a laddle of molten steel prior to teeming. The alloying of the 4340 grade of steel allows the material to obtain the desired mechanical properties during cold working.

I fail to see the term liar used anywhere in my previous post. You are not a liar or a metallurgist for that matter.

When one refers to a manufactured product as being cheap, that implies that the part or parts are not reliabe and will fail in the field.

Guys out there - please grade your Eagle 383 stroker kit - is it a peice of cheap junk or a good reliable product?

4340 may refer to a chemical analysis of the steel, but it is not an exact science only a range of certain chemical contents. A perfect example would be steel content between 38-43%. These contents when place together also have certain physical characteristics for the metal.

I am glad to hear you say I am not a liar, but in making comments like talk is cheap it is assumed that is what you mean.

Nothing in cheap refers to something not being reliable. Often one can offer the same product to do the same duty and cycle for a cheaper price by using different materials or eliminating certain actions to create a better cost. In Eagle's case they often create a product with loose tolerances that reduce the requirement for additional machining. While this process reduces the overall cost of the item it does occasionally create the need for more work to be done on their products to achieve a desired result.

David you may also want to use spell check there are a few mistakes in the last post you made.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Itz hard too proove a piont wen yoo sppel baad.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

4340 may refer to a chemical analysis of the steel, but it is not an exact science only a range of certain chemical contents. A perfect example would be steel content between 38-43%. These contents when place together also have certain physical characteristics for the metal.

I am glad to hear you say I am not a liar, but in making comments like talk is cheap it is assumed that is what you mean.

Nothing in cheap refers to something not being reliable. Often one can offer the same product to do the same duty and cycle for a cheaper price by using different materials or eliminating certain actions to create a better cost. In Eagle's case they often create a product with loose tolerances that reduce the requirement for additional machining. While this process reduces the overall cost of the item it does occasionally create the need for more work to be done on their products to achieve a desired result.
David you may also want to use spell check there are a few mistakes in the last post you made.
I may spell poorly .... but you don't know your *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to the chemical analysis or the mechanical properties of the product (4340 steel) that you pretend to know so much about. What the hell does steel content between 38% and 43% mean, is 62% to 57% of the material other than steel?? Quote, these contents when placed together also have certain physical characteristics for the metal. That is one stupid statement and,anyone with a working knowledge of steel or how it is produced would not understand what your talking about.

The production of any given steel grade is an exact sicence - with a pre-designated range for the various chemical eliments within that grade of steel. If the chemistry of the heat falls within the set specification, then you can be assured that the desired mechanical properties can be obtained when the material is properly processed in the solidified state.

Your original post stated "cheap or quality" when referring to the products that you choose to evaluate. In my book cheap means a product of lesser value and not a good choice when purchasing said products.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N4cer
Itz hard too proove a piont wen yoo sppel baad.
I mis- spelled element just for you.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

When you look at a grade of steel it is not always the case of what temp it was heated at. If you see a number for aluminum that is a 500 series or maybe even a 600 series, that is when you know it has been tempered, as far as steel, when you see a four didgit number that is usually the makeup of at least two elaments, ie Iron and Stainless. and it usually is made up of more than just two. Kinda like a 70 to 25 percent leaving 5% of none purity metal in it. Now if you see a three didget number like 300 series stainless, or 400 series stainless than that is when that curtian type of steel was rolled at a curtian Temp, to make it either a stonger or more machinable metal.

I am sorry for my spelling cause I am not a Lit expert, just a machinist. And I am not on here to take sides, just looking at it from a different point of view.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

I have eagle crank and rods. The shop didn't say anything about any issues with the stuff.
Only issue I had was the crank plug leaked
Old 03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

I may spell poorly .... but you don't know your *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to the chemical analysis or the mechanical properties of the product (4340 steel) that you pretend to know so much about. What the hell does steel content between 38% and 43% mean, is 62% to 57% of the material other than steel?? Quote, these contents when placed together also have certain physical characteristics for the metal. That is one stupid statement and,anyone with a working knowledge of steel or how it is produced would not understand what your talking about.

The production of any given steel grade is an exact sicence - with a pre-designated range for the various chemical eliments within that grade of steel. If the chemistry of the heat falls within the set specification, then you can be assured that the desired mechanical properties can be obtained when the material is properly processed in the solidified state.

Your original post stated "cheap or quality" when referring to the products that you choose to evaluate. In my book cheap means a product of lesser value and not a good choice when purchasing said products.
I actually did not mean to type steel at 38 to 43 % what I meant to say was Carbon content is normally around .38% to .43% in a 4340 alloy steel. By typing the wrong word it completely destroyed what I was trying to say. I actually know more about steel and metal forging than you may think, but that one mistake there caught me.

As for the whole cheap vs quality it is your personal opinion. All of this started because your opinion differed from mine and you attacked me because of it. Next time I suggest you post your opinion as well, but you do not need to direct it at others in the way you did with me.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Callies is comming out with "speed pack" IIRC, balanced assembly, compstar crank/rods and Mahle or diamond pistons.