Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Oil Pump

Just a quick question i am switching the cam in my car and was going to put an ls6 oil pump in and wondered if anyone has done this and how hard they are to do, i heard that you have to drop the pan, is this true?

Anyhelp is appriciated
thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

You wont have to drop the pan completely, but you will have to loosen all the pan bolts. FWIW take the ones off towards the front and middle of the pan and don't forget about the ones that fasten from the back...they will appear to be holding the bell housing on, yet they fasten the pan.

I dissasembled my oil pump, put the body on, centered it, installed the gears with a little 30w oil, and then put the cover on. For me that was alot easier than trying to wrestle the pump on as a whole unit. I was alos able to ensure my o-ring did not get crimped.

....and for the love of god...please dont loose that pick-up tube bolt down in the pan...

Its a very simple job. Look here: www.ls1howto.com

R/

Frat
Old 03-31-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool Thanks For The Help Man
Old 03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sweet71
Cool Thanks For The Help Man

Pay attention to the Torque of the smaller bolts. You will break the heads off if you do not use a torque wrench. It does help to take the ones towards the front of the motor completely out and leave the back ones about 1/2" out. Dont get frustrated with putting the pump on and lining up the gears while trying to let the pick up tube slide in freely. Took about 5 minutes, just have to have patience.

Chad @ Livernois Motorsports