Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

listen to my cam only car idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00slowredz
the duration of my cam's a lot smaller then yours and it has a pretty similar idle. i would have thought it would be a little "choppier" if ya know what i mean. that could just be that the idle's too high though.

If thats the case he should try and adjust the little throttle blades adjust screw. Might help some if its up.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what the problem is, the idle doesnt sound choppy enough to me, yet when warm it is only at like 875 on the tach. It sounds more like its pulsating or something.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:54 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a pretty consistent idle for a cammed car. Mine is all over the place. Curious what the graph would look like for A/F as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

My car will sound like that cold. It does smooth out when warmed up unlike yours but I do have a smaller cam.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

That is the price you pay for putting a large cam in your car, learn to love it or change it IMO. That cam has a lot of overlap, and that's why you smell the gas in your exhaust. The loss of power or hesitation down low is also because you are running a larger camshaft.
AJ
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWon00
Damn, all I can think of is it sounds like a big dadial aircraft engine at idle.
HAHAHA my thoughts EXACTLY
Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 AM
12 Second Club

I heard all ur videos and that is what mine sounded before the tune.I've got 2001 ws6, m6, stock rear gears. I'm running Comp Cam 231/237 .589/.595 112+4 straight up. was running with adj borla, dual tip. now I got x-pipe dumped, sounds badass. even though you got the mail order tune I would say it's close but, not on. that size of cam would need to be dyno tuned in my opinion. of course, unless tuner knows that cam. I would need to tap on throttle when it would start to act up, something like u discribed it and what I was hearing. I could send u a video of mine so you get an idea pm me. dont know how to down load here from my file. mine idled the same as your before tune now it idles great, no surgeing just every now and then it will kick up to 1200rpm's at idle. but that dont bother me, I just tap on throttle and it calms down. love this cam!!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
I heard all ur videos and that is what mine sounded before the tune.I've got 2001 ws6, m6, stock rear gears. I'm running Comp Cam 231/237 .589/.595 112+4 straight up. was running with adj borla, dual tip. now I got x-pipe dumped, sounds badass. even though you got the mail order tune I would say it's close but, not on. that size of cam would need to be dyno tuned in my opinion. of course, unless tuner knows that cam. I would need to tap on throttle when it would start to act up, something like u discribed it and what I was hearing. I could send u a video of mine so you get an idea pm me. dont know how to down load here from my file. mine idled the same as your before tune now it idles great, no surgeing just every now and then it will kick up to 1200rpm's at idle. but that dont bother me, I just tap on throttle and it calms down. love this cam!!
Me too, I really love this cam and the car actually drives really good, better than expected. I just know that idle isnt correct. It actually idled the way a cammed car should idle when it had the stock tune. ( when it would idle)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
That is the price you pay for putting a large cam in your car, learn to love it or change it IMO. That cam has a lot of overlap, and that's why you smell the gas in your exhaust. The loss of power or hesitation down low is also because you are running a larger camshaft.
AJ
I thought long and hard about everything before making the decision on my cam size. I like the way the car drives and the minor loss in low end torque doesnt bother me, it really wont even be noticeable once I get my 4.10's in there. However I said the car has a slight hesiatation when it is acting up which isnt caused by the cam it could be any number of things... Fueling timing etc. I also dont mind the smell of fuel, I was already aware I would smell fuel, but if im getting so much fuel that it makes the car not run correctly, Somethings not right, however I do not beleive that it is a fueling problem. The spark plugs looked perfect after driving it all weekend. Really the only comlaint I have is I just want it to idle correctly. I mean for me and just being honest here, that is half the reason I went with a big nasty cam on my weekend cruiser. I want her to sound badass!