TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need info on bore sizes and sleeves

TtT
Old 11-09-2002, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

You will have to contact ARE or MTI. They are probably the best with sleeves right now. Others are coming out with them but are still in test stages. ARE sells their releeved/bored block for 2250 I think. With your 4" stroke I would go with a 4.100 bore to make a 422. Should be a good setup.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by theblur98ss:
<strong>You will have to contact ARE or MTI. They are probably the best with sleeves right now. Others are coming out with them but are still in test stages. ARE sells their releeved/bored block for 2250 I think. With your 4" stroke I would go with a 4.100 bore to make a 422. Should be a good setup.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A 4.1 bore, thanks. Wow $2250, for just a bored out block. But I guess you get what you pay for.
I think I'm going to have the guy doing the engine re-build do the porting on the old block for about $300. If it doesn't work I can always get a new block for $600.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

TtT
Old 11-09-2002, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

You can't just bore our blocks. They need to be resleeved. That's where the huge cost is. I guess it's a complex procedure and has been alot of trouble over the year with sleeves leaking or dropping. Things seemed to be worked out with the sleeves now though. Good luck to you...if your guy can do it for $300 he'll make lots of money off this site.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by theblur98ss:
<strong>You can't just bore our blocks. They need to be resleeved. That's where the huge cost is. I guess it's a complex procedure and has been alot of trouble over the year with sleeves leaking or dropping. Things seemed to be worked out with the sleeves now though. Good luck to you...if your guy can do it for $300 he'll make lots of money off this site.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We will see what he thinks on Monday. The $300 doesn't count parts. The engine will also be apart at that time. And I'm getting a really good break on the cost.
I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:28 PM
SIR
Launching!

you can only bore out the ls1 like .010 max. Other than that they need to be resleeved. For that at least $2300+.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Need info on bore sizes and sleeves

I might need to bore out my 382, cylinder wear in 3 chambers. If I have to bore it I want to punch it out to 422 or even 427.

What is the amount that would need to be removed from each cylinder to make it either a 422 or a 427?
What sleeves will be needed, where can we get them, how much do they cost?
Does anyone have information on the boring and resleeving process for the LS1 engine?

Just a side note, I'm note going to be doing the boring and sleeving work myself, way over my head.

Thanks
Jay