Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I play with different rod lengths to gain extra cubes, for a budget build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I play with different rod lengths to gain extra cubes, for a budget build?

Pondering a few things. Like forged pistons and rods, maybe grinding the crank a little.

Not sure yet about grinding the crank to gain more ci, but could I use different size rods in a 346 to gain some cubes? If so, give me the size rods, and what that would change ci to. Thanks. Harold
Old 11-10-2002, 09:32 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Can I play with different rod lengths to gain extra cubes, for a budget build?

no, rod length doesn't change the displacement. your stroke wouldn't change.

you can only change your stroke by working with the crank.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Default Re: Can I play with different rod lengths to gain extra cubes, for a budget build?

Sorry Harold, you can only add cubic inches with the crank, if you want a budget mini stroker, use the stock and offset grind it 100 thou(3.72" new stroke), use some 6.125 or 6.200 rods and custom pistons to reflect the proper comp. height of the setup, we've done a few of these e-mail me at indacalinc@attbi.com if you need some help - Dave
Old 11-10-2002, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Dave. You might have seen my other post, but how much would grinding that much off the crank effect the strenth of the crank? Any significant difference. I'm refering to a nitrous application.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Well, after the crank is ground we cryo treat and ion nitride it so I think it's fair to say it would be stronger than stock by doing these processes, let me know if you need your crank set up and anything else - Dave