Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

texas speed heads/cam idle surge!! help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then spend much less. Find a local buddy with tuning software and a wideband, and street tune that sucker. It's cheap and easy.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go get a dyno run with an air and fuel printout and send your computer back to them
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Exactly the reason i would never get a mail order tune!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same idle issues with my car as well. I've gotten misfire codes, crank sensor codes, and O2 heater codes. I've replaced just about every sensor on the car, including switching to Bosch 11131 sensors with opened up caps and cut down O2 bungs. It seems to me that this might be related to the O2's correcting for false lean like others have mentioned because when my car was tuned, it ran and idled great till after we turned the O2's back on. Then it started surging and dying again. I think I remember a comment about it looking like I had a vacuum leak while we were tuning. I suppose this might be because my cam is on a 110 split with a 228/230? Anyway, I think we might do away with the O2's next time we go out and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
II know a guy who got one from a company (NOT SAYING WHO SO DON'T START YOUR WHINING YOU PUSSIES FROM THAT COMPANY)
....and that earns you a three month ban. You've been warned before about bashing. Gee, I wonder if the name of the shop is in the thread title?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

owned....sorry had to do it.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:26 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks Tony!

A mail-order tune is actually a good way to get your car tuned for guys who don't have dynos/tuners in their backyard. We can get you VERY close for the tune of just about any cam or heads/cam setup. That being said, they aren't all perfect. That is why we offer free retunes. Also, on idle issues, a lot can be done with the TB set-screw. Sometimes, it does take more than simply plugging the PCM into the car to make it idle the way the computer is wanting. Opening and closing the set-screw is a good way to adjust the way the car idles and recovers to the set idle RPM. We always encourage customers to check the tune on a dyno and send the PCM back to us for any minor tweaks and adjustments that might be needed. If you use them properly and take advantage of the offers, mail order tunes are a great and effective way to get your car tuned properly!

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
A mail-order tune is actually a good way to get your car tuned for guys who don't have dynos/tuners in their backyard. That being said, they aren't all perfect. That is why we offer free retunes....

Mail order tunes are a great and effective way to get your car tuned properly!

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
"great" and "effective" are not terms that i, or any experienced professional would use to describe mail order tunes by anybody.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
"great" and "effective" are not terms that i, or any experienced professional would use to describe mail order tunes by anybody.
No, but a good "base" nonetheless. It is always good to get one from a shop within 3 hrs drive or so, make a deal that includes discounted dyno tune time.

This is much better than running big cams on stock tunes.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was running good after the tune and then started going bad why do you think its the tune? Its a freeking ECU. The timing can't walk and there is no way the tune went bad. Its something to do with the car or environment. Cars with ECU's dont just go out of tune. Something happens to change the variables wich effects how the car now runs. Its not becasue a vendor didnt tune it good or a certain vendors tune loses its perameters. Thats **** doesnt happen. Its a big friggin cam. Maybe the real issue is a vacuum leak, or a sensor going bad. OR a stock bottom end being spun to hi and have created an other issue. Maybe its a burnt plug wire.

Mail order tunes are not a first choice but they arent a bad alternative to doing nothing.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
A mail-order tune is actually a good way to get your car tuned for guys who don't have dynos/tuners in their backyard. That being said, they aren't all perfect. That is why we offer free retunes....

Mail order tunes are a great and effective way to get your car tuned properly!

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
I think you are misunderstanding what I meant by that. We offer retunes so after you go check the tune on the dyno or drive the car a bit, we can make any adjustments you would like or may be needed. I recieve calls all the time about how well they work. Not to mention the countless customers who have taken their cars to shops to have dyno tunes only to pick up 2-3 RWHP... Bottom line is they work and for $125 they are hard to beat.

Quick Reply: texas speed heads/cam idle surge!! help.