Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REGROUND STOCK CRANKSHAFT TO MAKE 382???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REGROUND STOCK CRANKSHAFT TO MAKE 382???

I am not sure if anyone has done this but I tried it foolishly and now I am having to deal clearance issues. The first problem I am having is that all the pistons with have a counterweight on the crank shaft hit the bottom of the piston. It needs to have about an extra 200 thousands to clear.
The second problem recently discovered is that the pickup sensor at the back of the crankshaft was also hitting the bottom of the last piston.
So if anyone has tried this and had similar results or anyone have any suggestions for me. I would be up to hearing them. Any info will be greatly appreciate.
Thank you,
KC Nowell
Old 11-22-2002, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: REGROUND STOCK CRANKSHAFT TO MAKE 382???

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by kc_nowell:
<strong>I am not sure if anyone has done this but I tried it foolishly and now I am having to deal clearance issues. The first problem I am having is that all the pistons with have a counterweight on the crank shaft hit the bottom of the piston. It needs to have about an extra 200 thousands to clear.
The second problem recently discovered is that the pickup sensor at the back of the crankshaft was also hitting the bottom of the last piston.
So if anyone has tried this and had similar results or anyone have any suggestions for me. I would be up to hearing them. Any info will be greatly appreciate.
Thank you,
KC Nowell</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It sounds like you are trying to use pistons with the wrong compression height - did you purchase this as a kit?
Old 11-22-2002, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: REGROUND STOCK CRANKSHAFT TO MAKE 382???

first of all it's not going to be a 382 on the stock aluminum block, it'd be a 355. aside from that, you can do a few things to fix it. 1. call a leading manufacturer and buy the right pistions for this application (what i would suggest) or 2. notch/clearance the pistions and have the assembly re-balanced. good luck,

Quick Reply: REGROUND STOCK CRANKSHAFT TO MAKE 382???