Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Advise - Stock oil pump safer than the Aftermarket oil pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I agree with everything said, but what if you are racing your car, AutoX, once or twice a month? In addition to AutoX, I have a heavy foot about once a day... I will soon have CAM and Headers once i figure out all the other parts I need to keep everything performing well. Oil pump is important. Would it be worth it to go with a Katech or another aftermarket pump?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know what MTI's policy is when they do a big cubed motor/Z07 conversion. I know, i will ask them what they did ,but does anyone know whether they use the cutomers existing pump and modify that one or do they give you a brand new stock pump and modify/port/shim that one.

Lord i hope with a 20K MTI 427 C5r LS6 headed motor that i have that they didn't simply reuse my stock 98 C5 oil pump with 35K miles on it. Anyone know for sure what there procedure is?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
The pressure went up because of increased flow capacity?

I don't follow...care to spell it out for me? Is your pump ported in a different manner?
yep

ex:

You have a 1/2" hole. You can only run so much stuff (oil, air, water, gas, etc...) through the hole at a given pressure (ex: 20psi). If you want to flow more, you can either:

1) Make the hole larger
2) Raise the pressure

Now take the inverse of that (which is what I did).

The oil system has a given capacity (holes are only so big). If I increase the amount of oil flowing through the pump, this will increase the amount of oil being forced through the oil system (block, heads, bearings, etc...). Since the holes can't get larger (to allow more flow), the increased oil flow will cause the pressure to rise.

The actual oil pressure increase is not what you are looking for from the ported pump (unless you had LOW pressure before), rather it is an indicator of the increased flow through the pump (and system).
Old 11-23-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
Does anyone know what MTI's policy is when they do a big cubed motor/Z07 conversion. I know, i will ask them what they did ,but does anyone know whether they use the cutomers existing pump and modify that one or do they give you a brand new stock pump and modify/port/shim that one.

Lord i hope with a 20K MTI 427 C5r LS6 headed motor that i have that they didn't simply reuse my stock 98 C5 oil pump with 35K miles on it. Anyone know for sure what there procedure is?
I would image MTI used the best availble pump. It's always been my impression they went with a new oil MTI ported oil pump on all their 422/427's. With their warranty on the 427 I really doubt they reuse the orginal pump. As for porting, I think MTI removes casting flash, micro-polishes and shims...but it's was last year when I was checking ported oil pumps out.

The motors that had the real oil pump issues had lost oil pressure due to the by-pass sticking. The micro-polishing should elimate that. The newer ie 01+ LS6 pumps don't seem to have an issue with this. In anycase The pumps that stuck seemed to with less than 30,000 miles on the clock.

I would call and talk with Jayson if you have concerns or email him. He's excellent about getting back in a timely manner.

BTW that's one hell of a set up you have! Call/email Jayson and have your worries put to rest and enjoy!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rice,

My application is street car. Nothing wrong with running more pressure...it's just there really wasn't a point to according to Katech. I'm not sure what if any changes are needed for aggresive auto-X.

How many miles on the 99?

I guess everyone has their favorite pump. I like Katech I have. I think the new Katach LS6 oil pumps are $159 which is high. I paid $109 for my Katech. I'm sure you an find ported one for less than that. TSP, MTI, JRP all have ported ones as do others.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 11-23-2003 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
yep

If I increase the amount of oil flowing through the pump.
That's the heart of my question, how are you increasing the amount of oil flowing thru the pump by port work on the pump?

Seems to me oil pump gears will compress X amount of oil and apply Y force to the oil (based on constant/same given RPM) to create a given oil pressure.

This would be constant if the pump is ported or not, at least the way my Katech was ported.

The pressure will increase only if the opening is made smaller (ie shim the spring) since the force behind the oil remains the same. Of course if more force would increase the pressure.

Also as for more pressure signalling more flow...not quiet sure I buy that because the oil pressure is very high on a cold start in the winter but the oil flow isn't all that good.

I maybe missing something...I'll read again tomorrow...12 hours today at work on 4 hours sleep.

We'll talk about this some more.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

I have 59,xxx miles on it. How bout yours?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
That's the heart of my question, how are you increasing the amount of oil flowing thru the pump by port work on the pump?

Seems to me oil pump gears will compress X amount of oil and apply Y force to the oil (based on constant/same given RPM) to create a given oil pressure.
In the "intake" port of the oil pump, there is a large casting rise that causes turbulence as the oil enters into the housing. By removing this blockage, oil is able to come into the housing on a smoother path and as such the pump can more oil. At the same time, the outlet is a sharp edge which can be ported out to make a smoother outlet.

It’s REALLY hard to describe but if you see two pics (side by side) of the stock and ported intake side, you will instantly see what is happening. There used to be a post where a guy had the side by side pics (if you can find it).
Old 11-24-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

OK; when my car had 19K on the clock I started it up one day and it had ZERO oil pressure. I shut the car off and had it towed to the dealer....

They claimed to not find anything wrong and told me if it happens again to drive the car intil the engine freezes. They assured me GM would buy me a new engine...

I drove the car for about six months and then changed the pump with a head and cam job....

The aftermarket pump gives me higher oil presure and I sleep better at night....

...I dont know too much about statistics but this board is full of people that have experienced dead oil pumps...like the shitty piston rings that cause slap it is a problem GM had with earlier cars... apparently, dead pumps are not a big issue with 2000+ cars, however...

...instead of recalling the Gen 3s to fix the piston slap and bad oil pumps, GM has decided to ignor the problem the best it can and to redesign the parts so people buying newer cars don't complain...

...and now we know why resale values are so pathetic...

...If I was you and you are planning any significant mods, I would buy the cheap insurance and change the oil pump ....

...not changing the oil pump is like sending your first-born son to the Neverland Ranch for a few sleep-overs with MJ...

...BEWARE - YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rice Burner
I have 59,xxx miles on it. How bout yours?
I wouldn't worry too much about a oil pump that had made it that far. My car had 32,500 on it when I did heads and cam and replaced the stock pump.

With my new set up for the RS, I'm not sure if it's really necessary this time around.

BTW with 0w-30 oil my wifes 02 Z has just under 50 psi of oil pressure on the highway and ~42 to 45 at idle...I think it has the LS6 oil pump.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks, now i understand.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertbartsch

...not changing the oil pump is like sending your first-born son to the Neverland Ranch for a few sleep-overs with MJ...

...BEWARE - YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
Guess I'll have to get a ported Katech LS6 for my new project now after reading that!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blackbird TA:

Sounds like a sound game plan and good insurance protection. You were right on my pump as i confirmed with MTI that they used a new customized MTI oil pump on my 427 Z07 motor.

Best of luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

had a problem with the oil pressure on my 2000 ta. i was driving down the highway at 70 mph in sixth and everything was fine then i heard a clank and lost all oil pressure. i think its the pump, but wanted to get some ideas... if any one has any thing to say please me konw i would like to know what to replace it with if thats what i need to do. that what i think im going to start with and go from there thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy *****! 7 year old thread back from the dead!!! WoW
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

its a zombie thread !!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Mine failed in 2000 with 7000mi's. I got a new engine under warranty. From what I understand, there was a TSB back in the day. Some casting burr causing the trouble. I believe this was corrected in '01.

Quick Reply: Please Advise - Stock oil pump safer than the Aftermarket oil pumps?