Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure High, How Come????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure High, How Come????

Hey everyone. Question for you all.

I just had my oil and filter changed by a reputable place using 5.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30. Now for some reason the oil pressure gauge on the dash is indicating I've got very high oil pressure. Much higher than I did before the change.

The car is still so new with and has such low miles, that this is the first time the oil has been changed.

After getting the oil changed I drove straight home and let the car sit in the garage for a few hours. I then checked the dip stick and the oil level is showing right at the top line of the hash marks, which is OK according to the owner's manual.

I'm confused. Is the high pressure normal after an oil change, or do I possibly have too much oil even though the dip stick shows it's OK?

Any info or advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Oil Pressure High, How Come????

rom3, thanks for the response.

If I remember correctly, I believe it's around 40 PSI at idle, but when the revs come up to about 2500 the pressure quickly jumps up to 70 or so.

There's no danger, or red zone, on the oil pressure gauge, so I'm assuming it's OK. It's just that it seems so high.

Stupid question, but can you tell me where the oil filter is? Forgive me. I'm still a newbie. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

70 psi at 2,500 rpm's seems a little high to me but not out of the range. Was that before the engine was up to normal operating temp? Check after the engine is hot.

The oil filter can be found at the bottom of the engine towards the driver's side near where the engine and trans join up. It points straight up and down in this engine.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

It's fairly typical to show slightly higher oil pressure after a change to fresh oil. Oil can lose some of its viscosity with age/use.

How high is the pressure showing? Mine is typically between 50-60lbs at startup and levels off to 40 psi at idle when at normal operating pressure. Same results with Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower 10W30.