Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve float with comp XE-R lobes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007 | 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

The 833's will sit at about 145 or so on the seat with no shims (can't remember the "K" value for them, but the installed height on stock heads is about 1.765" as I measured it this past winter. I would think this should be plenty of seat pressure but Roger is the best guy to ask on this, he knows his stuff.
Old 04-24-2007 | 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSXSeven
I hear what you're saying but they may already be shimmed from the guy who built the heads. This brings up the real question, how much psi do I need.
Sorry, didnt realize they were already shimmed. I Wouldnt shim any further. I would get a new spring thats got 140+ seat pressure. 130 Might not cut it if youre shimmed that high and still floating.
Old 04-24-2007 | 10:51 PM
On The Tree

well, for those of you who have been folowwing along, I did the leak test tonight and checked all the spring heights. All is good on the leak test, so no bent valves. After checking the height on all the springs, I came up with an average of about 1.827. the highest was 1.835 and the lowest checked in at 1.820. This is more than the 1.8" where the springs are rated for 112#'s. This is obviously low.

Now here is what I can see. After pulling the locks and retainers, we removed the springs. The valve seals were next and then the spring seats which were located under the valve seal. There seemed to be an additional washer/shim under the spring seat. Is this where you normally shim the springs? The only way to get to them would be to remove the seals and seats 1st. Do the shims you guys reffer to go on top of the seats? If so this would get around pulling the seals. Also to get my installed height down to 1.775, I will need to shim an additional .050. Where should I put the shim?

Mike
Old 04-24-2007 | 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and I have rev valves in 2.05int and 1.6exh. Are these stems taller than stock? This might be why my installed height is over 1.8.
Old 04-25-2007 | 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Ok, the ball of thread unravels even more. Took one of the valves seals off to get at the spring seats and shims. The crane seats measure .050 as confirmed by the website. Under the seat was a .050 shim. Under that shim was a .017 shim. So my installed height of only 1.830" was after the crane seat and .067" worth of shims. Now to get to a 1.780 height I will need an additional .050 shim. This is a lot of shiming. I thought I should be at this # with just the spring seats. This leads me to believe that my valves are either sunk pretty far into the head or these REV valves have long stems.

Anyway, my new problem is this. From what I have read, the valve seal is supposed to push all the way down until it bottoms out on the guide. This normally leaves a small gap between the bottom of the seal and the top of the spring seat collar. In my case they are already flush. The valve guide without the seal on it protrude .275" above the seat collar. The valve seal has .330 worth of depth inside. Therefor when pushed onto the guide, there is a gap of .055 left unsupported in the top of the seal. If I put another .050 shim under the spring seat, this gap will increase to .105. That is a third of the seal unsupported.

Is this a problem? How much valve seal needs to be in contact with the guide?
Old 04-26-2007 | 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

The shims go under the seat, as you found. I can't believe how much installed height you have, can you find out the REV part number and then pull the valve information from REV to compare to stock length? You might want to do this to confirm what is going on and why. I would be concerned with the seat not sitting all the way down, the service manual has a specific measurement that is made to ensure the seal is down all the way. Also, I had this problem on a Nissan, the seal may come off the guide if not fully seated and ride up and down with the valve.

With the 833',s you may not need to decrease the installed height as low as you are planning, they set up with pretty good seat numbers at 1.8".
Old 04-26-2007 | 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

They must be longer valves or they really cut those seats and hung them high.
Old 04-26-2007 | 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

You may be able to get by with a 0.030" shim to squeek under 1.800", but you may want to verify with the camp manufacture by giving your seat and over the nose pressures.

One other option, contact Joe or Roger Vinci and find out if Crane makes the retainers with a 0.050 set lower, this would preclude the need for more shims. I know they make them, just not sure on the LSx motors if they do or not.

One final option, I believe the LS7 sets up with a rather large height, you might look into this and see if there are springs for the LS7 that will fit your need.
Old 04-26-2007 | 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I ended up going with the Patriot dual extremes instead of the cranes. They are a little more but come with everything. The main thing is that they setup at 150# at 1.8. This way if I don't change my install height at all, I am still over 140#. If the seats are close enough, I might be able to just leave the crane seats and everything installed and just throw on the new springs and retainers. Otherwise, I will have to pull all the seals and swap seats. We shall see tommorrow when the springs arrive.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007 | 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Also, I asked if Patriot had different offset retainers but they do not. So I will have to do it all from the bottom side. I will let everyone know how it tuns out.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007 | 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
With his cam he's on the limit of the 918's capability IMO. If he did want to run the 918's he should shim up the spring pressure to get the pressure up to be safer.
Im running an F13 112 with 918's and not concerned about it one bit. THey are rated to .625. Heat cycle them and take it easy on them when they are cold and they will be just fine. Im a firm believer in a lightweight valvetrain though.
Old 04-27-2007 | 05:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe the Patriots come with new seals. You may want to change the seals so you can pull the Crane seats and sell them as a complete set.
Old 04-27-2007 | 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I believe the Patriots come with new seals. You may want to change the seals so you can pull the Crane seats and sell them as a complete set.
I was thinking of this. There are 2 ways to go. If the seats are the same then I can just leave my setup as is since the assembly is new and just sell the cranes with the Patriot seats and new seals that come with the PP kit. Or I can replace the seats and seals and sell the cranes without new seals. Since my seals are brand new, the deciding factor will most likely be the seat interchangeability.

You asked about the valve info. Here it is.

Exh REV CL-1168 1.600” 4.930” 8MM .170” TIP 24 ½ RADIUS GRV #239
INt REV CL -1175 2.055” 4.915” 8MM .170” TIP 10 3/8 RADIUS GRV #230

Let me know how this compares to stock.

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-27-2007 | 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is the issue of many problems (mismatching components).
Replace with COMPLETE set is more favorable.
Old 04-27-2007 | 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
That is the issue of many problems (mismatching components).
Replace with COMPLETE set is more favorable.
Agreed. If replacing that much(as in springs, seats & retainers) I'd stick with only 1 brand for everything so you know its designed to work together & not just hopin it works together.
Old 04-27-2007 | 02:28 PM
On The Tree

update; I'm an idiot!!!!

Remeasured the installed height with the springs out with a propper height checking tool using the new retainers and come up with 1.78. So I say to myself "self... these retainers must be lower..Great". Then I decide to check with the old retainers, same results. Then it hit me. When I originally checked the height with the springs in, I was using my digital caliper and extending it down to where the spring was sitting and measured from there to the underside of the retainer. The problem was that I was missing the top of the spring seat all together and actually sitting on top of the 1st shim. This was putting me .050 lower than actual. Now all makes sense.

Since the spring base is very tight to the spring, I missed it all together. Now with the new measurment, I can install everything as shipped from Patriot. I am going to use their base(.060) and their shim (.060) to get 1.20 worth of base height. This will give me an installed height of 1.787. The springs are rated at 150# at 1.8 so I should be golden. Also, this drop in shim height will help me with the valve seals.

Anyone want some used 832's

Mike
Old 04-27-2007 | 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I almost asked how you were measuring but didn't want to insult you.

Don't feel bad, I have a special shim for my valve spring micrometer that I use for beehive retainers because they fall into the top of the micrometer. Last time I checked, my installed heights were coming out huge and I posted a question, of course someone said you have to compensate for the retainer going into the top of the micrometer and I had the shim sitting right there on my work bench the whole time
Old 05-01-2007 | 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Ok, got the new springs installed. I used a snap gauge to do all my measuring and set them up around 1.78. Took the car out for a spin and low and behold, 7k no float. Looks like the crane springs were under gunned for my setup. I plan on having a couple tested to see what the spec out at.

I did notice that the Patriot retainers sit further down on the stem than the crane's. This is most likely why the cranes reuired more shim height to get to 1.78 than the Patriot springs did. I ended up with just the base and a .030 shim to get right around 1.78 installed.

Now all that is left is to figure out if this ticking noise is normal or if I too have a bad Caddy lifter.
Old 05-02-2007 | 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSXSeven

Now all that is left is to figure out if this ticking noise is normal or if I too have a bad Caddy lifter.
That would suck, there is another thread this morning on these lifters where one isn't pumping oil. Good luck, glad you got if sorted out.