Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morel Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Morel Lifter Question

I got a new set of Morel OEM replacement hyd roller lifters from a guy on ebay for $200. My first question is, Does Morel make more than one kind of hyd roller lifter for the LSX motor? 2nd, did they have any design changes from early on till today? 3rd, any place I can get preload info, can't find install stuff anywhere.

I got the worst luck in the world and there is no way I scored a set of $495 lifters without getting screwed lol. I'm just trying to cover my bases here and make sure I got what I think I got.
rj
Old 04-30-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Morel only makes one drop in lifter. They also have a "link" style hydrauilic, and a solid. I'm not aware of any design changes since I bought a set back a few years ago. Pre-load should be set in the .020" to .030" range. A while back some were saying that the Lunati lifters were the same as Morels, but $300 cheaper. I'm not sure what ever came of that, but you could have picked up a set of Lunati's that the guy marketed as Morels. "Cstraub" is the local Morel guru around here. Maybe you can send him a pick of what you have and he could possibally tell you the diffrence. You could also post a pick here and I could compare them to mine.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I remember the whole Lunati thing. I should get the lifters in a few days and I'll post pics. They are in a clear plastic package with a Morel part number. I'm hoping they are what they were listed as, but I guess for the money I'll be good either way. I found out last night that the guy bought them for an LS2 build for a Maggied Trailblazer. I guess he had some crap go down with the build and he just bought a stock engine and gave up.

I knew about the link bar type, just forgot. So they make a drop in, a link type, and solids and now that I know they were purchased for a Trailblazer they can't be that old. I just might be good.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I spoke to Rick Morel when I set mine up, he recommended 0.030" to 0.050" preload due to the all aluminum motor. I split the difference and went with 0.040". Since I am using the Crane adjustable rockers, setting the preload to a specific value was easier. They are also longer so you will need to measure for pushrod length. If you don't have an adjustable you need to pick one up.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AintQik
Yeah I remember the whole Lunati thing. I should get the lifters in a few days and I'll post pics. They are in a clear plastic package with a Morel part number. I'm hoping they are what they were listed as, but I guess for the money I'll be good either way. I found out last night that the guy bought them for an LS2 build for a Maggied Trailblazer. I guess he had some crap go down with the build and he just bought a stock engine and gave up.

I knew about the link bar type, just forgot. So they make a drop in, a link type, and solids and now that I know they were purchased for a Trailblazer they can't be that old. I just might be good.

You can post or send me a picture of the what you get and I can tell you by that if you got Morels. I have had 2 other board members buy "Morels" for a good deal for them to find out they weren't. Board sponsors like Thunder, LS1 Speed and a few others carry and sell the Morels.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are in a clear plastic package with a Morel part number.
Both times I've purchased Morel's, they came in a brown card board box, with card board dividers. No part numbers or anything that says "Morel" on the box.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Both times I've purchased Morel's, they came in a brown card board box, with card board dividers. No part numbers or anything that says "Morel" on the box.
Great, who knows what I got. I guess I could hammer the guy with ebay for listing them as "Morel" but from talking to him he sounds like he genuinely thinks they are the Morels. Should be here in a day or so. I'll post pics.

Chris, I'll take you up on that offer and put some pics up soon.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine came from Thunder is a plain white box if I remember correctly. I waited three months for them, but they were worth the wait and I planned well ahead.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Great, who knows what I got. I guess I could hammer the guy with ebay for listing them as "Morel" but from talking to him he sounds like he genuinely thinks they are the Morels. Should be here in a day or so. I'll post pics.

Chris, I'll take you up on that offer and put some pics up soon.
Put some pics up. I sell them too and that's way below cost. They are probably not the right lifters.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Ha not even close lol! The seller gave me the number to the machine shop and they say these are Morel lifters made for Engine Works. I don't think I am going to run them. Any body have an idea of what these are? Part number is ML 2148H-16

Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Ha not even close lol! The seller gave me the number to the machine shop and they say these are Morel lifters made for Engine Works. I don't think I am going to run them. Any body have an idea of what these are? Part number is ML 2148H-16
Look like LS7 lifters, set of 16 sell for about $100
Old 05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

I got a set of those and these are differnt in the cup area. I think these are made by one fo the big companies specifically for shops. They are not Morels and I'm not running them. I'm sending them back to the guy and he is interested to know what they are so he can sell them.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

JFYI here is a pic from my Morel's directly from Ed Curtis:

Christian
Old 05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah those look like stock lifters.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

I got a set of those and these are differnt in the cup area. I think these are made by one fo the big companies specifically for shops. They are not Morels and I'm not running them. I'm sending them back to the guy and he is interested to know what they are so he can sell them.
Your PM box is full but you are right that these are not the Morels.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Fixed the PMs, Erik hook me up!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
When I got mine I was pissed I just new that plain box with the shitty dividers were not the real deal After some investigation I found they were the real deal.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Ha! lol, yeah they save the fancy plastic package for stockers that you can pretend are Morels. This guy sounds like he is going to refund me no problem.