Sponsored by:

lifter change ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter change ?????

Hello,

well it sound like I have a faild lifter, I took it to a shop and they said it was gonna take removeing the heads to change the lifter, is there any way to avoid this? what should I do? The engine only has 47,000 miles on it, and the car is a 99 SS. Also im not sure the lifter will pump back up cause the cylider to stop fireing. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Yes, you need to pull the heads to change the lifters
Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, no way around pullin the heads to get the lifters swapped. Get you some LS7 lifters from SDPC. They are only like $130 w/shipping.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Teching In

yea actualy the valve cover on this thing has not been pulled yet, so what should I be lookin for, im gonna pull the one where the noise is coming from. (left bank) what are the odds of it being a rocker arm? thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem last week- thoought i had a bad lifter as well. before you go shelling out big $$, is the SES light on? scan the car for error codes/misfires,. could be a bad coil pack. also get yourself a compression gauge, and check the compression of your bad cylinder and some other ones. mine were all reading around 155-160lbs while the bad one was reading 90lbs lol. pull the valve cover off and look for broken springs and see if the valves are even moving up and down. you could have a broken valve spring, which would lead to the valve stayin stuck open, like mine did.

signs of that- a P0300 code (multiple cyl misfire)
sounds like shes a camming beast (even tho its really running sh!tty!)

I changed my plugs and i found that a spark plug on that cylinder is clean while others are not

A runner on the intake could be getting hot (due to a stuck open valve)
follow that runner to where it goes on the head.

pull the rocker off and check your pushrods too, a pushrod could be bent but i doubt it.

sorry im not the best on write ups but I
hope this helps!

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 05-01-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Teching In

yea the ses light is on, and I bet I have that code cause she sounds like you said, so im just gonna pull the valve cover off in about 2 hours, when i get off work and post a update with what I have, thanks for the help
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

if you lived in south jersey i'd help you lol

its not hard at all, things are a lil tight to get to but not impossible

scan for codes before anything else. easiest thing to do right there.
then pull the valve cover, not too hard (i have the perimeter style with 8 bolts) the bolts wont fall out on you either
Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Teching In

well,
I thought I was sol, but here is the deal. I bought that car 3 weeks ago, and have put less that 1k miles, so one of my buddys was like, you need to call the dealer. so I did, even though I bought it with no warrenty. well I told them about it and after some talking the said bring it down tommorow so they can figure out what needs to be done. so hopefully it works out. b.t.w the lifter I guess is fully failed now cause the lifter is not ticking any more but the engine is now running on seven cylinders. well, thanks for the advice guys!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ssdriver
well,
I thought I was sol, but here is the deal. I bought that car 3 weeks ago, and have put less that 1k miles, so one of my buddys was like, you need to call the dealer. so I did, even though I bought it with no warrenty. well I told them about it and after some talking the said bring it down tommorow so they can figure out what needs to be done. so hopefully it works out. b.t.w the lifter I guess is fully failed now cause the lifter is not ticking any more but the engine is now running on seven cylinders. well, thanks for the advice guys!
Could be a bad plug, too. I had an issue with a loose plug that sounded EXACTLY like a bad rocker/lifter. Check your plugs. Cheapest/easiest is the way to start!!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

i personally dont think its a lifter, theres a few things that can cause misfires, the coil packs, valves not opening all of the way or closing completely due to- broken valve springs, bent valve, bad lifter. im gonna say its a bad coil pack on that cylinder let us know how u make out!

and change that sparkplug too, because mine got fouled from lack of spark!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Check those easy things first. Shops will try to rape you in telling you that it would need some major work and really was a simple thing. Then they'll charge you up the a-hole for it too.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Teching In

yea thanks alot guy's, I definitly will. ok yesterday the engine was running smooth aside from the cylinder not fireing, but there was no ticking, almost like the lifter came back. so im not sure what to think, also, I was told to pull the plug wire on the offending cylinder and start it, and see if it gets quiet, well when I did that the thing backfired, would that fry a coil? and if the lifter was failed, wouldent it tick any time the cam is rotating, regardless of light-off, thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Teching In

this is gonna sound dumb but I had no idea that a spark plug being fould, or a bad coil pack woud like ruin my life like that! (still new to ls1 world)
Old 05-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

well guys, turns out it was a failed lifter. but dont worry, i'm not gonna eat this one. The manager's idea of "taken care of me" and mine are very different, I'm sure you guys understand, so I went over his head. Here it is, I got the car easter sunday, from a car dealerships on the used car side, 3 days after I get the ses light, p171, so I get the motor-vac, thinking its a bad injector. light goes away. 4 days later, lights back. so I pull the lid, lookin for leaks, I find I have a cracked lid. I get a new one. all is well. then the light come back, next day, tick tick tick. I gave them what they were asking for the car. and 1/3rd down. so I took all this and went to the head of sales at the main dealer who overseas both the new and used sales and was like this is jacked basicly, 3 weeks and less than 1k miles drove by me and I have catastrophic engine failure, this is not warped rotors, a burned out bulb. so yall need to do a little beter than dealer cost on parts. So he trys to offer me a vette that he just got in , I thought about it for a second and was like no, sorry I just want to be fair, and get the right thing done. so, will get back to ya, and don't worry all the lifters are getting changed, the cam, and from what I understand a lot of stuff on the top end, I'm just not paying for it!

Last edited by 99ssdriver; 05-08-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Teching In

so, why do you have to pull the head change the lifters?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 99ssdriver
so, why do you have to pull the head change the lifters?

Because they sit underneath the heads and that's the only way to get them out.....
It's sorta like how you can't take change pants by pulling them over your head. Unless you're wearing a skirt. Then we have other issues.

Last edited by thunder550; 05-08-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

haha, cool thanks man, thats what the tech said to, and thats what I was trying to tell my buddies, they think the LS1 is just a "small block" ya know.