Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottom end, who has broken what and how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 03:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom end, who has broken what and how?

Im supercharging my LS1 and was wondering if anybody has broken bottom end components and how? Im not really interested in hydrolocking problems or oil pressure related destruction, more from excess spray, boost or revs. Is it worth just replacing conrods? are the pistons a weak link? should I replace the bearings with aftermarket items? Can I race prep the crank and rods, maybe get them Cryogenicly treated and rebalanced?

brief discription - std bottom end, slightly lowered comp 9.4-1, cometic gaskets, 230-240 @.050, 10-12psi, big valve heads, arp head studs.
Ive done this before with a smaller cam, but didnt own it long enough to see how reliable the engine was.

Any info will help.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:44 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Bottom end, who has broken what and how?

There was a thread like this a couple days ago. A few people had blown their low ends by shifting at over 6500 rpm while others some how get away with it. The unlucky ones said their rod bolts broke. At some point GM started putting in bigger rod bolts, I think the 2001 and up have them. A good move would be to upgrade your rod bolts with ARPs.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

Don't forget a good supply of oil, meaning a better oil pump or having it ported. Stock ones have been known to just crap out for no apparent reason. I spun a rod bearing and even a cam bearing because of the lack of oil pressure.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Teching In

so knowone really has kiiled there bottom end? Cal, I searched high and low before my thread, could'nt really find to much info though? I might just add some 6.125" crower rods, take .040" of the top of the pistons, rebalance it and reasemble with good bearings, thats gotta be the weakest link fixed up.

BSMDan, Ive got a fabricated 7 liter sump and am interested in modding the oil pump.

Does anyone have any links or info into porting the std oil pump?