Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cam install ???

Been eyeing a cam install soon, adding some milled Livernois Heads down the road when funds are flowing a little more freely In any event, here's what I've come up with:

LS6 ported oil pump, LS1/2/6 timing chain, Cam install gasket set, 918s, new seats and valve stem seals (should I do Ti retainers? I've heard mixed bag on this one), some spare locks, new crank pulley bolt, MORE install tool, oil pump o-ring (if/when the original gets installed wrong)... basically everything required and recommended from the LS1howto.com writeup. Pushrods are being bought also (not sure as of length, since I'm probably having Pat G write up a cam for me, else I'll just get the 7.4s with the TR package). Any helpful hints or tips or tricks or extra advice is appreciated... I am setting aside Friday morning till Sunday NIGHT for the install, looking to not rush, take my time, and make sure everything is as close to perfect as I can get. One other thing, I know I'll have to LOWER the oil pan, but do I need a new gasket? I didn't see anything on the writeup that stated as such. Thanks.

-J

EDIT: The title is NOT cam install "F-TW"

Last edited by lastcall190; 05-19-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

buy the arp thread chaser for ur head bolts holes, and also buy some arp head bolts. I'll tell u right now, it will take longer then u will anticipated. also for safe precaution, buy a tap and die set and some helicoils, because its a good possibility u might strip ur threads
Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

google Adds Suck
Ib Sucks

Last edited by studderin; 01-10-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
buy the arp thread chaser for ur head bolts holes, and also buy some arp head bolts. I'll tell u right now, it will take longer then u will anticipated. also for safe precaution, buy a tap and die set and some helicoils, because its a good possibility u might strip ur threads
Thanks for the advice guys. Caliboy, I am not taking my heads off (maybe the wording in my post sucked), so I will assume that I shouldn't need the head bolts. How long did your's take?

-J
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took little over 2 months. i also did some more extra stuff, like the motor mounts, taking off parts and cleaning them in the solvent tank. Also been working on the car like 2-3 hours a day. Had to deal with 3 weeks of rain, and also waiting on some misc parts and tools. my advice to u is when u change out ur cam, you should also changed out ur lifters. and to change out ur lifters, u need to take ur heads off.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the cam install in about 6 hours. It was also the 3rd time i did it. Get some 5/6 dowell rods to slide in to hold the lifters up just incae one decides to fall down when you pull the cam out. You dont want to have to pull the motor over $1.50 on wooden dowell rods that you can get at the hardware store. You need gaskets for the water pump, the front timing cover, a new front timing cover seal (seal that goes around the crank), and new bolt for crank pulley. You new oil pump should come with everything you need.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. Decided to go with the Crane tool after seeing people praise it more than sliced bread. Waiting on the spec from Pat G, then looking to order. Any suggestions as to whether or not to get Ti retainers? I gave him my max desired lift of .600, and since that's the "MAX RATED" lift of the 918s, should I bite the bullet for the Crane duals, or will the 918s be good (hell, the cam might not even spec in RIGHT at .600 so the 918s might still work, right?)?

-J
Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine I had the laptop right by the car and just basically followed ls1howto. I would do like Jefro said and get some dowel rods to hold the lifters up and get new new gaskets (I think several sponsors sell a gasket package for this)

I'm not sure about the titanium retainers but if your cam isn't going to be going over a .600 lift the 918's should be fine (918's -- can be used up to a 0.625” lift according to their description)

But just take your time and follow the write up and you should have no problems.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

^ Thanks, only reason I ask is because I've seen some horror stories of 918s breaking and causing slight issues... infer that as you wish

Good call on the laptop, hopefully it doesn't die in 10 minutes cuz of the fan that's all fucked

-J