Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Im sorry to hear that, and I know the feeling. Theres a big empy spot betwene the shock towers on my car also right now.
Ditto. My LS1 had a rod bearing decide it wasn't worth living after only 150 miles of having the new cam in it.

Brother, I feel your pain. I also have a good block/rotating assembly that'll need bearings and such if you're looking for a cheap option for a new motor.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I fell your pain also. I had my motor self destruct itself. It started with a bent pushrod and progressed to be quite noisey. This all happened in a 3 month period for me. I am suspecting a bent pushrod but I am not sure. Dont have the money to rip it out of the car yet.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE:

I took some pics of my tires that are on my car now the other day. They're basically dead. Makes sense why it would spin all of first and part of second.

I've got some "new" 295/35/18s on the way to the house. The suspension parts I was planning on making are on a hold as I've got quite a weird idea that I'll run by everyone.

I was looking at this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/562337-no-more-torque-arm-g-force-suspension-setup.html

This guy converts to the short ladder bar setup using these:
http://www.g-forcesuspension.com/pag...og/i.php/81/55

They aren't that expensive at $449. I was thinking of using these with a 8.8 rear. I priced everything out and the grand total comes to $1674 for a built 8.8. Including custom 33 spline gundrilled axles, an auburn limited slip, bearings, wheel studs, ladder bar kit, and the 8.8 itself. I know very few people have done something like this before and there isn't a lot of information around, but anyone have any ideas? Things that I'm not too sure about are width, swar bar mounts, panhard bar length / mounts, and how these would work with mini tubbing. I've got some 325/50/15s I want to stuff under there on some 15x12 wheels.

I've been trying to work as much as possible recently to save up and get enough to get this all up and running again. I'm taking my camaro to get fixed tomorrow for $500. I think that's quite a great price for labor, resealing my transmission, and parts. I was planning on doing it myself, but at this point I really need a car to drive. I should be posting a large parts for sale thread soon provided I can get some time to take pictures of everything and figure out prices.

I think I've got it pretty much planned out what I plan on doing. Right now it's just financial limitations.

- LS2 shortblock, rebuilt with arp rod bolts and maybe head studs
- Conversion wiring
- my 243 heads home ported
- cam unknown size (going to be med / large)
- Patriot extreme golds
- Pushrods
- Lightly used LS2 lifters / maybe Caddy ones
- LS2 Timing chain
- Ported LS6 oil pump
- Used QTP 1 3/4s
- Y pipe out the passenger's side with a boom tube
- Crank pulley
- LS7 / LS2 clutch / flywheel combo
- LS6 / LS2 intake manifold? Not sure yet
- Racetronix 255 Plug and play

I know it's not the cheapest way of doing things, but I think I can wait in order to get things the way I want them. Hell, I waited 4 years to get this car and this shouldn't take nearly as long.

Things I have to do anyways:
- Get brakes bled. My brake light on the dash won't turn off
- Replace rear tires
- Switch front two tires
- Alignment
- Break in my new brakes
- Get SFC installed

If anyone has any of these parts they feel are looking towards selling look no further:
- F body oil pan
- Center bolt valve covers
- QTP 1 3/4 race style

QUESTIONS:
Aren't the coil brackets on center bolt valve covers different than perimeter ones?

Also this is kind of random, but anyone know how to post pictures in an ebay add? Everytime I try to use a picture off my computer I double click on it and it doesn't load for some odd reason. Maybe I have the settings messed up or something?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 AM
12 Second Club

That sucks. Just a thought, being originally from Miami and dealing with hurricanes and stuff. Call your insurance company. If you can show that it was indeed hydro locked then they just might cover it under "acts of God". Never know.

Ski
Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAAAA!!! WE CAN BE TWINS NOW! both of us blew the motor on start up! I think I busted mine a bit better though
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think it did hydrolock turn that **** into your insurance company. Ive heard guys get anywehre from 4K-8K from their insurance companies and they are getting big cubes out of the deal
Old 06-11-2007, 11:32 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Rebelord
That sucks. Just a thought, being originally from Miami and dealing with hurricanes and stuff. Call your insurance company. If you can show that it was indeed hydro locked then they just might cover it under "acts of God". Never know.

Ski
That's not that bad of an idea. How would I prove it hydrolocked though?

Originally Posted by Tainted
HAAAA!!! WE CAN BE TWINS NOW! both of us blew the motor on start up! I think I busted mine a bit better though
Yeah, you were the only other person I could think of that I've seen anything like this happen to.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

damn man sorry to hear this happened to ya.. That is about weird that it just decided to blow, makes absolutely no sense but i guess once you pull the heads and all that good stuff that will tell you exactly what happened..

Sorry man hopefully you will be back up and running soon.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:13 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
sorry to hear that... I had to go thru building a motor last year, my stock shortblock didn't take too well to a relativly high compression set of heads, burnt the ring land off #5 and #7.

If you need a good block and crank for a rebuild I have one, be a good core for a 347 with forged rods/pistons.... PM me if it will help.
Sending PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Quick Update:

I've been working on gathering parts and saving up some money to get this thing moving under it's own power again:

Parts:
I've got some used 295/30/18s to replace the old 285s that are missing huge chunks out of them.

I also acquired some 42lb / hour green tops for $200 shipped.

I then sold a bunch of random stuff I had lying around my house, stereo equipment, etc... $1200 cash - money for fireworks for the 4th.

Hopefully, I can start getting the things that matter now.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

damn that sucks dude. . man im sorry about you car. . . hope you have your car up and running soon.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

UPDATE:

Things should get moving soon. I went down and met Chris (GTFORMULA) yesterday to pick up some parts for the new engine. It was an interesting and long trip to say the least. I conned my friend into going with me so I wouldn't go stir crazy. We left around 2:30 and got there around 5:20. I had to work from 6am to 2pm so it was going to be a long day. I was supposed to be taking my dad's truck, but according to him it needed an oil change. The ride down was pretty fun. Most of it was spent trying to get these two hot girls in a Civic with Canadian tags to flash us. Didn't work out too well, but it was amusing and we got them to laugh and wave. Almost....

We ended up taking my mom's Matrix which some of you have seen before. She's a teacher and is changing schools this year so she packed all her crap in the back of the car. Papers, books, a whole encyclopedia set, a football, baseball bat, etc... We had to move so much **** around to get this stuff to fit. I told my friend if I have to slam on the brakes we're going to die.

We were hauling *** on the way back. Who thought a Matrix with an extra 700 pounds in the car could go 105mph? We ended up going about 87 miles in 39 minutes.

We saw some interesting things on the way back like this hay truck. They move it around in giant rolls. It's blurry and that's why my friend got banned from taking pictures.

We also saw this huge dually diesel pickup pulling a gianormous trailer with only a welder, bottles, and ladder on it. They could have easily fit it all in the back of the truck. Notice the picture is clear.

We made a little Green Cove Springs detour to drop off the parts at Jason's (One of out sponsors) shop: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=66972
We ended up being gone about 6.5 hours. We snagged a bite to eat at chili's on the way home as that was part of the stipulation of my friend coming. I got home at 10:30 and then jetted off to my friend's birthday party. I left there around 12:15am and got up at 5am to do the 6am - 4pm work shift.

Needless to say I'm a little tired, but it was worth it to get such a great deal. I'd like to thank Chris for being so helpful and hopefully everything works out. I'd also like to thank Jason for coming up to the shop when it was closed to let me drop everything off and check it out. We should finally get rolling on the disassembly at some point in time soon. I'm going to try and push it to the front of my house tomorrow and do some work on it.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 07-15-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd say it definitely hydrolocked....
Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Back to the old comment about insurance and hydrolocking. How would I prove that's what happened to it?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Where are the pics of the Canadian girls?!

Geico covered my hydralock under comprehensive insurance. I called in the claim the same day as the accident and the adjuster looked at it the following day at the dealership. The adjuster noticed water in the intake and inside the MAF bellows, as well as the modified FTRA air intake... but they paid me cash to rebuild the engine.

Definitely the same type of carnage from a hydralock, but how did fluid get in the cylinders?

Center-bolt valve covers use coil brackets. Perimeter-bolt coils mount direct to the valve covers.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:29 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I didn't think of the picture of the girls, crap. All the pics we took were on the way back because we moved the camera to the front because of all the crap we had to move forward. I think for me it's too late at this point to prove it hydrolocked as all the water has probably dried up by now. I'm not 100% sure I have on my insurance either. Maybe break out the hose? Joking....
Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

i've got an idea but... could someone define "hydrolock"?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
i've got an idea but... could someone define "hydrolock"?
basicallly the motor tried to compress water... which is impossible. Then the weakest part of the rotating assmbly broke and rocketed throuh the nearest exit. Man i sure am sorry... I am about to get my hands on an LS1 that was hydrolocked however there were no holes in the block or oil pan from damage.

ill keep you all posted once i get it next week
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zo6freak
basicallly the motor tried to compress water... which is impossible.
Not impossible....just very very very impracticle. For every 1000 pounds of pressure you put on a liquid it will compress 1/2 of a percent. So in theory if you could indeed compress it 100% if you were to put 200,000 pounds of pressure on that given liquid. Compression of liquid is the basis on how a hydraulic system works even though its only usually got 3000-4000psi running in the system which would translate into 1.5-2% of compression. Yes i realize that no LS1 or diesel for that matter can do that I just figured I would throw it out there that it isnt impossibe just extremely impracticle. Compression of liquid is the basis on how a hydraulic system works even though its only usually got 3000-4000psi running in the system which would translate into 1.5-2% of compression. Not to be an *** in any way, just thought I would throw that out there. And im sorry to hear about your loss man, I know if my bottom end grenaded on me similar to that, I would piece together a 383 stroker motor if it didnt take out the block. But if it took out the block I would probably build a 427. But thats just me
Old 07-17-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about that bro.

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday