Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silver95
I have seen injectors do that in the past....kills the motor pretty quick when you first turn it over. Did you smell anything in the oil?
I didn't think to smell the oil for gasoline. I should have. I'm sure there's still some in there since the oil pan broke at the top. I can when we rip it down. That's going to be a while though since I still need a ton of parts. I was more of in shock at the moment it happened than to think about what caused it.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Feel Your Pain My Z28 Ls1 Die On The Eway , Oil Psi Drop To O And When I Made It Home Tap,tap Tap Tap When I Press The Gas,i Let It Sit For 5yrs ,then I Had To Move It Cause Lost Space . After 5yrs The Battery Was Dead, I Puy New One In , The Car Started Up By It Self After 5yrs ,and Remote Starter On My Alarm , I Was In Shock , Then I Pull It Out And Could Not Resit And Step On The Gas And Lay Dowwn Rubberand Boom Oil Every Where!hole On Driver Side
Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Wow, I hope mine doesn't ever sit that long. Did you forget it had the problem or just say, "**** it," and let her rip? I'm a little side tracked with getting my 93 finished right now. I'm at the stage on that where I'm trying to decide how much I want to spend on certain items. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible, but for certain items it makes more sense to do them now so I don't have to do the same work two or three times.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I went down to work on my 93 today, but oddly enough the angle grinder broke so I started messing with my Formula. I have a guy that wants to buy my loudmouth exhaust so I told him I'd take it off today. I'm also going to sell the cats to one of the guys on here that buys them.

We pushed it out of it's spot and put it up on the lift.

As it was up there we started checking things out. Oddly enough we noticed my car had a V6 car torque arm. Upon further checking it out we noticed that it had a major crack in it:

We worked our way forward checking it out and I noticed that I have some sort of different shifter in the car. Oddly enough I've never noticed this before:

I'm guessing it's the B&M one as it appears to be a similar color. Does anyone know which if I'm correct or what shifter that is? Either way it was a nice suprise.

What wasn't a nice suprise though was I found out why my AC was acting up:

The compressor is dying.

Originally Posted by silver95
I have seen injectors do that in the past....kills the motor pretty quick when you first turn it over. Did you smell anything in the oil?
I stuck my finger in the custom vent holes I added to the block to smell the oil. It most certainly smelt like gasoline. Not just a little either. I'm concluding at this point that a leaking fuel injector is to blame unless I find any evidence that points else where. It would also help explain my relatively crappy fuel economy prior to the block explosion.

Over all I wasn't too happy with the way the car has been taken care of. The underside of the car was covered in dirt and mud, the rear has a pinion leak (suprise supise), there's rear end fluid all around the rear, and there's a lot of corrosion on certain parts. Oddly enough my 93 is in better shape than this one is underneath the car. I'm going to completely redo this one like I'm currently doing to my 93. Pretty much everything is going to get swapped out. I'm going to implement a lot of the things I've done to my 93, but better now that I have some practical experience.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque arms are not engine specific..My '98 Z28's stock torque arm was identical to one that came out of a '96 v6 car..They all have provisions for the older V-6 2 piece drive shaft.
So do you have an engine to put in this car?
Because I still have one to sell..I'm sure you know about it.

Last edited by BYE RICE; 04-16-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ That I was unaware of. The two piece mount is what threw me off. I have 75% of an engine. I need to have my heads finished and order valvetrain parts. I just need money to finish everything.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

(been lurking and reading the thread from the lt1 section) but my opinion and advice (take it or leave it) is too fix up that 93 z28 doesn't look like it needs much. . .just a little tlc - and then resell it for a profit and dump that money into your formula. . .no since in buying a car that needs work midway through fixing this one? good luck with the build but i think you'll be happyer to have your formula running tip top shape. . .
Old 05-17-2008, 09:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ I've been thinking about doing that. I added up what it was going to cost for my, "budget" project (the 93) to be done with the cage setup, fuel system, the turbo stuff, and it was $4847.32. Right now I have a few options in mind.

Option 1 = Put the 93 back together and sell it for a profit.
Option 2 = Finish the 93 the way I want it and just keep saving for this one.
Option 3 = Buy a cheap shortblock, rebuild it, and throw it in this one so I can enjoy it.

Right now I'm closing in on a year since this one blew up and I'm really wanting to get it running again. On my list I need $10357 total to get this one running the way I want it to be. I'm leaning towards option 3 now since I'm moving into my own place on Monday.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 05-17-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I started messing with the car today as I'm at a point on my 93 where I need to spend quite a bit of money that I don't have to continue working on it. Other than messing with the wiring that one is on hold.

A local guy is looking for a 98 throttle body so I decided to take mine off and sell it to him. This started me messing with the car and I figured it would be a good idea to pull the whole intake off and see if there was possibly anything still in there.

As I was disconnecting the fuel rails I noticed a some fluid sitting around cylinder 6.

Once I got the intake manifold pulled off it was pretty nasty inside. It had all sorts of dirt and mud like crap crammed in there:

When I lifted the intake manifold off of the engine and went to set it down quite a bit of some sort of fluid came running out of it:

This got me thinking that the car actually did hydrolock due to inhaling some sort of fluid through the intake manifold. I started checking out all the intake runners looking for anything out of the ordinary. Here's what cylinder 5 looks like:

It looks fine. There's not anything in it other than a little gunk.

Now, this is cylinder 6:

I think that almost speaks for itself.

I also noticed that my PCV hose has a giant chunk missing from it. I don't know if that contributed to anything going wrong, but I doubt it. It may have been a way for water to enter the intake.

I've been randomly gathering small parts to put this car back together. I recently acquired two sets of 2007 GSXR-750 throttle bodies. They look like this:

Each throttle body is 42mm in diameter. I'm going to take the front set of throttle blades and injectors off. Then, split them in half and make an intake manifold out of them. I have a few ideas on how I'm going to lay them out. I need to find someone that makes LS1 intake manifold flanges. If anyone has a link to them feal free to post it or PM it to me.

I'm going to continue working on the wiring for my 93 at night and continue working on this one during the day. If anyone could help me out identifying some wiring for my 93 it would be greatly appreciated:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=219

I'll also be posting up a large parts for sale thread. I have a lot of parts that have been sitting around the shop and in my garage for a long time. I need to buy a lot of parts so they're all on their way out. I'll post up a link once I get it up.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^now thats cool, sorry no info for you, just like looking at all your pictures...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Leaking injector caused my friends car to do the exact same thing. Took him 2motors to figure that out unfortuantly.
That sucks, i'd would be so pissed.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Thats obviously water, I would still call the insurance company, your looking to get about 5-6 thousand dollars from that. Good luck to you, I had a buddy that hydrolocked a LS6 in a RX7 and insurance paid for it, well they paid for a rotary anyway lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Thats obviously water, I would still call the insurance company, your looking to get about 5-6 thousand dollars from that. Good luck to you, I had a buddy that hydrolocked a LS6 in a RX7 and insurance paid for it, well they paid for a rotary anyway lol.
I think I'm going to give them a call after seeing this. The only thing that really worries me is that they may want to total my car. If that happens though I guess I'll just keep doing the same thing and slowly saving to buy parts.

I also posted a for sale ad if anyone wants to help fund this project and gain some parts at the same time:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/952568-titanium-valves-loudmouth-1-speakers-tons-93-parts-all-super-cheap.html
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

We moved the car out of the back today. We were pleasantly greated by the hundreds of attack mosquitos. Here's what the car looked like after sitting outside for around 14 months without being washed:

I started off by hooking up the air hose and blasting off all of the leaves, dirt, and insects that had decided to take residence on my car.

Started rinsing it off:

The difference:

Finally clean:

There's still some residual pollen that I need to scrub off. Once I finished and let it start drying I noticed some areas on the door where it was still stuck on. I'm going to finish all of that, air up the tires, and do a few more things Thursday.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Dennis wants to know the final word on what is happening w/ the good ideas and stuff T-Man!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I just recieved a check for $3088 through working some magic. The car should be running in the next month or so. I'm scavenging the parts for sale section looking for useful items. I still need to buy a lot of things, but I should be able to purchase 85% of it right now. The last little bit will have to wait until I get some more money.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I just recieved a check for $3088 through working some magic. The car should be running in the next month or so. I'm scavenging the parts for sale section looking for useful items. I still need to buy a lot of things, but I should be able to purchase 85% of it right now. The last little bit will have to wait until I get some more money.

AWESOME!! Been following this thread and am real happy for you. Just make sure you don't **** it all away on whiskey and women. lol. Keep your focus!! They will both do you wrong. Don't ask Good luck and I am glad you are on your way
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
AWESOME!! Been following this thread and am real happy for you. Just make sure you don't **** it all away on whiskey and women. lol. Keep your focus!! They will both do you wrong. Don't ask Good luck and I am glad you are on your way
Yeah Whiskey in a Jar-o time!!! No the Car will bring the women, and in turn they will want the booz. But all we need is the women...gigity gigity oh right! OH!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats bro!

Now Git'r Done!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I'm not a drinker, but my brother has a couple stills and makes his own. The girl lives 200 miles away so no money. Thanks for the kudos. It shouldn't be too much longer now.

Originally Posted by litle88
Congrats bro!

Now Git'r Done!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday