Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Isky springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Isky springs?

I currently run 918's purchased in the "bad batch" time frame. I only have about 800 miles on them. Breaking one and dropping a valve is always at the back of my mind. I want to switch to something with a better reputation but not remove the heads. I've been reading about the Isky 295-D's and was wondering what the inner damper is? Is this something that is supposed to hold the valve up if the spring breaks? Could someone post a pic? I'm just looking for a little piece of mind.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 01-30-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Question about Isky springs?

The inner spring is not a spring it's a dampener for harmonic's in the valve train which the LS1 doesn't have so it really doesn't serve any purpose for the LS1. So you could remove them if you want to and it wouldn't hurt a thing. On my stage 2 absolute heads I had to remove the dampener's because of the good valve seals Jay used on the heads. I really like my Isky 295D's with the Titainium retainers.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually all motors have harmful harmonics in their valvetrain, well set up systems tune this harmful frequency for a range that motor barely see's. This gives reliability to valvetrain. Inner dampner works on friction to outer spring, removing this is going to change frequency tuning of spring, so be careful.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LS1derfull:
<strong> Actually all motors have harmful harmonics in their valvetrain, well set up systems tune this harmful frequency for a range that motor barely see's. This gives reliability to valvetrain. Inner dampner works on friction to outer spring, removing this is going to change frequency tuning of spring, so be careful. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was told this buy Jay at Absolute speed and he told me this is comon practice. I seen the valve train in action on a spintron machine and the things a valve train goes through at 7000rpm makes you think the whole valve train is coming apart. The valves open and close about 65 times per second at 7000rpm's and the springs and retainers rotate at different speeds and the valve stems wobble and push rods flex so I'm not really sure low frequency vibration would do anything.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Doesn't JPR user the ISKY springs on their heads? How about it Joe, you got any more info for us? Will these fit without machining the heads? Must use the Titanium retainers, right? What about cost?

Thanx
Old 01-31-2003, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

My JPR heads have isky 285 D's. The dont have the dampener and I have had 0 problems with thim.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2000SILVERTA:
<strong> My JPR heads have isky 285 D's. They dont have the dampener and I have had 0 problems with thim. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Old 01-31-2003, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

I though Comp was replacing those springs for free if you shipped them back to them?
Old 01-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 9T9BlueTA:
<strong> I though Comp was replacing those springs for free if you shipped them back to them? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does anyone know who I would contact to do this? I got mine through Thunder if that matters.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by obssessedss:
<strong> Doesn't JPR user the ISKY springs on their heads? How about it Joe, you got any more info for us? Will these fit without machining the heads? Must use the Titanium retainers, right? What about cost?

Thanx </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No machining is needs to be done. No you don't have to use the titanium retainers but I did. I think the springs were like $240 for the set and the retainers were a little over $100.