Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams 918 spring broke......

Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know about the quality problems that Comp was having. I found out the hard way though! Comp used to be one of the best in the business years ago, I assumed that they were the same today. As you can see in the pic above mine had the blue stripe on them, which is from what I have been told (in the past 24 hours) have caused people all of the problems.
Isn't Comp a sponsor of this site? Have they responded to any of the other broken spring threads on here?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the ones with the blue stripes are the problem ones??
Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Teching In

I can't say for sure but several people that have contacted me have said theirs had the blue stripe.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
One big reason I can think of is that all of that extra mass in your valvetrain, when your cam selection doesn't warrant the spring, is kind of taking 2 steps forward and 3 back.

If you look into the math, I believe they usually calculate the mass of the spring/retainer into the equation at about 1/3 the actual mass of the spring/retainer. So you figure in the double springs and bigger/heavier retainers and now you're back to square one, if that!

Why do we (vendors in general) always encourage people to run titanium retainers on their 918's and other beehives??? And then why are so many people so quick to recommend a double spring when it's not needed?

I'd just assume see more people purchasing a slightly heavier 3/8" pushrod than the standard 5/16" ones....at least there the extra weight is put to good use! But again, I never see anyone on here recommending those to the average Joe.

Just my $.02 to get people to "think outside the box." I've e-mail our rep at Comp this and the other link so maybe we can get him or someone on-board to shed some light on this subject!
Last week while picking up my box of old parts from W2W after my 383 install (all new parts) I was advised by them that one of the 918 springs was broken at the top. To be honest with you I was going to let the whole matter just slide bye. But,considering that there appears to be a trend of failures in relatively the same area of the suspect spings, I will attempt to have some testing done (approved) at or Automotive Center.

I am a Technical Service Engineer for USS and will be dropping off some samples for testing (customer concerns) on Monday 6/11/06. At that time I consult with our manager of the Metallurgical Lab and request that a full micro and hardness analysis be conducted on my broken spring. If he allows the work to be done, I should have a technical report available by the following week. Hopefully, I will have something to report to you guys by them.

PS. I always use titanium retainers on my springs.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Teching In

I did use the titanium retainers, actually I used everything that Comp recommended. I tried to call Comp about this and STILL waiting on a call back.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
So the ones with the blue stripes are the problem ones??
Mine that broke had the blue stripe on them also
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by david vericker
Last week while picking up my box of old parts from W2W after my 383 install (all new parts) I was advised by them that one of the 918 springs was broken at the top. To be honest with you I was going to let the whole matter just slide bye. But,considering that there appears to be a trend of failures in relatively the same area of the suspect spings, I will attempt to have some testing done (approved) at or Automotive Center.

I am a Technical Service Engineer for USS and will be dropping off some samples for testing (customer concerns) on Monday 6/11/06. At that time I consult with our manager of the Metallurgical Lab and request that a full micro and hardness analysis be conducted on my broken spring. If he allows the work to be done, I should have a technical report available by the following week. Hopefully, I will have something to report to you guys by them.

PS. I always use titanium retainers on my springs.
If you get this approved I can send you all of mine to test as well. Checking all of the springs will let you know how much they have sagged from their original specs. Checking two sets will also throw out excuses like it was the way the motor was run. Again mine had about 300 miles on them!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Before I added my Patriot heads I ran a TR224 on stock heads with blue stripe 918's. I set them up correctly and tested the spring pressure when new and after break in. They were at 118lbs after breakin. After 5K miles I pulled a few to check the psi and they had lost considerable seat pressure in that small amount of time. If I remember correctly they were around 105lbs. I pulled them and have been using the Patriot Gold duals since. I recently checked my PP Golds after 15K miles and they had only lost 4lbs on the seat compared to their pressures after break in. JFYI
Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Evans
If you get this approved I can send you all of mine to test as well. Checking all of the springs will let you know how much they have sagged from their original specs. Checking two sets will also throw out excuses like it was the way the motor was run. Again mine had about 300 miles on them!
It will take a considerable amount of time to perform the mico analysis and additional testing is out of the question. If the failure proves to be metallurgical related there is no way that the failure can be associated with the performance (installation) of the springs. The testing will prove or dis-prove the soundness of the failed spring.

Comp or the spring manufacture are consider to be not at fault until scientific evidence is available. There is still a possiblity that the failures are related to other factors and not necessarily to a defective spring. Lets just keep our pants on until I have some valid answers.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad to see some of you guys taking data on the used springs. Spring force loss is a dead giveaway of a bad spring. Another thing to do, and this may be risky if you want to hold Comp accountable, is to return the broken springs to them for their analysis. Send them via certified mail so they have to acknowledge receiving them. Be sure you make it clear that you expect an explanation for the poor quality of their product. If they ignore you, then that's a pretty clear signal that they don't care about their customers. If anyone from Comp reads this board, they should be very concerned.

Just another question: Are all of the broken 918 springs from applications that use Comp camshafts? If so, which lobes are you guys using that are experiencing failures. The reason I ask is because the springs may be alright, but if the lobes are of poor quality or too aggressive for the spring, the springs will be over loaded. Keep in mind that their's more to the system than just the spring.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mvvette97
Mine that broke had the blue stripe on them also

mine too.....I believe all of the newer 918s are blue stripe for awhile now, likely BEFORE the manufacturing change.

It's clear that a particular 918 can't be considered suspect just because it's a blue stripe for this reason. HOWEVER, my springs were purchased LAST JULY, while some of my friends who have had failures have springs that are only a couple months old.

In short, i'm personally suspicious of any 918s manufactured after mine...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formulated
Just another question: Are all of the broken 918 springs from applications that use Comp camshafts? If so, which lobes are you guys using that are experiencing failures. The reason I ask is because the springs may be alright, but if the lobes are of poor quality or too aggressive for the spring, the springs will be over loaded. Keep in mind that their's more to the system than just the spring.

my cam is a 224/224 with only .567" of lift ON AN XE LOBE.....

I'd like to see them explain that....

also I checked around the basement and found my stock springs in the Comp box so, I'VE FOUND MY BATCH NUMBER!!!!

Make this one official spring failure from batch # 49253.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Teching In

I have a Comp cam, Comp titanium retainers and Comp 918 springs. I talked to a comp rep and he advised all of the parts for my set-up. My cam is Comp 234:242 - 588:596 114LSA X-ER lobes and I was assured that these springs were "perfect" for my application. Everything was purchased of January this year. I'm looking for the batch number when I get off of work in the morning.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

time for patriot golds duals
Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evans
I have a Comp cam, Comp titanium retainers and Comp 918 springs. I talked to a comp rep and he advised all of the parts for my set-up. My cam is Comp 234:242 - 588:596 114LSA X-ER lobes and I was assured that these springs were "perfect" for my application. Everything was purchased of January this year. I'm looking for the batch number when I get off of work in the morning.

Please post it up in my new thread on LS1GTO, i'm trying to get a list going.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
mine too.....I believe all of the newer 918s are blue stripe for awhile now, likely BEFORE the manufacturing change.

It's clear that a particular 918 can't be considered suspect just because it's a blue stripe for this reason. HOWEVER, my springs were purchased LAST JULY, while some of my friends who have had failures have springs that are only a couple months old.

In short, i'm personally suspicious of any 918s manufactured after mine...
I'm running the blue stripes as well. Bought them back in May 2005. They have ~50k on them and so far so good. Granted I have a baby cam however, only .551 lift. I still have the box the springs came in if you want another batch #.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Okie5.3
I'm running the blue stripes as well. Bought them back in May 2005. They have ~50k on them and so far so good. Granted I have a baby cam however, only .551 lift. I still have the box the springs came in if you want another batch #.
I think its the springs that were bought in the last year or so that have been having problems.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Does comp stand behind their product? I am about to install the 918's and they have the blue stripe. I can't afford to have something go wrong this car will be a DD next year. A compay as big as comp can't be putting out stuff like this.

I also don't have the time to wait for different springs, this makes me really angry.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Okie5.3
well it sounds like yours are fine, but post it up anyway....Maybe we can try to get a read on where things went wrong (assuming the batch numbers are actually sequential.)
Old 06-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Actually at 50kmi shouldn't you replace an aftermarket valve spring anyway? They don't last as long as a stock unit does. I'm not trying to be a jerk with this comment, just curious is all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comp Cams 918 spring broke......