Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads that had new guides put in 3000 miles ago have .020" of play in them

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulated
The picture shows the wear way off center. A proper contact should be centered and very narrow. The rocker should actually move over the same contact area twice on lift, and again on seating. If you imagine an arc, or circle, with horizontal and vertical lines through it you can understand this. The vertical line is parallel to the valve stem, and the horizontal is parallel to the stem tip contact area. On the base circle of the lobe, the rocker arm should be tipped up slightly from the horizontal, and inboard on the horizontal along the arc. At mid lift, the rocker should be horizontal, or perpendicular to the valve stem, and reach the furthest out on the stem tip. Then at peak lift, the rocker will be angled down the same amount it was angled up at zero lift, and contacting the stem at the same point as zero lift. Therefore, at zero lift and peak lift the rocker arm should be inboard of the valve stem center, and at mid lift, it should be outboard of the valve stem center by the same amount.

Sorry for the verbage, it's difficult to explain. If I had some more time I could sketch something up.

I'm guessing that your pushrods are too short.
I thought stock LS1 rockers wiped from the inside out during valve open and the opposite on valve close. The rocker geometry doesn't provide a mid-lift center/return. This is one reason I went away from the stockers, if the wipe is off with heavy springs then guide wear will be accelerated.