Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollmaster Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rollmaster Timing Chain

Has anyone used a rollmaster double row timing chain that has the key ways for advancing or retarding the timing. I got it in last night and glanced at it for a second. According to the instructions the center keyway which has the timing mark is supposed to line with the keyway on the crank and you are supposed to be able to abjust 2-4-6-8 degrees either direction. It looks like it does not line up that way. If you line the timing mark on the new sprocket with the one with the old sprocket, it will be one keyway off. So you will go 2-4-6 degrees one way and 2-4-6-8-10 degrees the other. No big deal, not that I plan to advance or retard that much. I Just think I found a discrepancy.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Rollmaster Timing Chain

The key way on the crank should be about 2 o'clock which should have the timing mark on the crank sprocket at the top. I'd like to know also if this is the case cause I just got the rollmaster the other day.

JR
Old 05-16-2003, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See my picture. You can see both dots on the crank sprocket. If you are installing the chain at 0 degrees then as JRCamaro said, the crank dot is at about the 2 o'clock position. If you look real carefully at this picture, you can see the key from my crank inside the notch with the dot on it.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The directions say to "note the spacing of standard key to Standard timing dot this must be duplicated from the actual non stand key you use if dialing in the cam."

You have to count the teeth back with the same number that you count for standard. You will see how the teeth spacing count starts to vary slightly, quite a lot if you use the 8 degree advance. I hope this makes sense.

Most variable timing gears have marks like a zero, square, triangle, etc for advance alignment. The Rollmaster only has the zero setting.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

i found the instructions for the rollmaster very poor....the picture above is good, however....there are 3 dots with the crank dot at the 2PM poistion

i think someone here on the board alinged the wrong dots and broke a bunch of parts....so be careful...

Question: When i remove the old sprocket do I first remove the key or just use a puller to yank it off with the key in place?
Old 05-19-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck getting the crank gear off. I tried 2 different gear pullers. None of them worked. The back side of the gear is very very close to the front of the block. So close, none of the pullers would work. All the pullers were too thick on the ends of the "legs" that attach behind the outside of the crank gear. Just no room.

Kent-Moore has a puller for this job. It has very wide, but thin legs on the end. I did not have access to this specialty puller.

Wound up keeping the stock crank gear with the new Rollmaster single chain and new Rollmaster cam gear. No big deal....

Ron,
Old 05-19-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

...what about hooking the puller on the teeth ...or is that a very bad idea?

..i've read a bunch of horror stories with this swap ...so Kimchee, I may go with a stock replacement....
Old 05-19-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Last weekend I helped a buddy with his cam install, and I installed a Rollmaster Double Roller on it as well. I used the 3 arm pulley puller that you rent at autozone. It popped off on the first try, but on the second try it did the charm. Once the gear "breaks" loose from its's seat, it comes off very easy. Nowhere near as hard as the pulley. ...And yes, I put it on the teeth.

It was more of a PITA to get the new gear on.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

OK thanks Opie (Mopie?? - whatever):

What can you tell me about the key? I assume you yanked the sprocket off withour removing the keyway that is lodged between the sprocket and crank snout. Is this correct?

Can you tell me about why installation of the new sprocket is harder? Can you just wrap it on with a peice of wood and hammer; can you just smack the old key back in place?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

The key stays on the crank shaft. The gear pulls right off once it is loose. My new gear was just a closer fit than the factory but it should just slide on. If it is tight it is probably burrs that you can be file off for a good slip fit.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

OK thanks Opie (Mopie?? - whatever):

What can you tell me about the key? I assume you yanked the sprocket off withour removing the keyway that is lodged between the sprocket and crank snout. Is this correct?

Can you tell me about why installation of the new sprocket is harder? Can you just wrap it on with a peice of wood and hammer; can you just smack the old key back in place?

Opie huh? Guess that makes you Barney Pfife?

Do you always make fun of those trying to help you? ...I see you're from NY. That must be your excuse.

Its MOBE (m-oh-b) dipshit.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took the old crankshaft pulley slid the new one on and then slid the old on over it and pecked the new pulley on with the old pulley.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

OK Mobe; apparently, not all people from Texas have red necks and thick skin...I'm not really from NY, I only live here....

Sorry.

Anyway, it is a good idea to use the old sprocket to force the new one in place...

By the way, Opie is now a bald millionaire; and his real dad is not a cop!

Quick Reply: Rollmaster Timing Chain