Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i want over 500 RWHP with a head/cam swap what cam would be best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Just because someone nailed the tune for you and it drives smooth as glass doesnt mean its the perfect street setup for eveyone.

Something I need top add, not necessary for those who already read my different thread about the evolution of my engine, is that I tuned the drivabillty myself on the street with hp tuner in OLSD...
Most important, for those interested I am sharing my PCM BIN File, which is my complete tune...

It has been posted on HPTuner forum as on some others and is somewhere in my initial thread mentioned above!!!!

Amazing drivability, mileage is more than correct because the OLSD allow me to simulate the "lean cruise" parameters (not in use in USA), idle is smooth as silk as well, but if required I give you the trick to make it sound NASCAR

The idle @ 900rpm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcRY0g2OHZM

Have fun and hope to share with everyone interested...for free!!!
Christian
Old 08-04-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want it to be streetable... you need a bigger cubic inch engine.. nuff said..
Old 08-04-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
if you want it to be streetable... you need a bigger cubic inch engine.. nuff said..
Hi GR33N GoblinM6,

I know a lot of 402 that are A LOT LESS streetable than my car...

Read the post # 81 of 98Z28CobraKiller (a forum member) in my thread here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=5&pp=20

he did test my car and he says about streetability more than I will tell you...
And he has a well build LS 402!!!

I am sure you are going to find that informative GR33N GoblinM6...it is so important to be aware of everything...knowledge is learning...

Christian
Old 08-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Something I need top add, not necessary for those who already read my different thread about the evolution of my engine, is that I tuned the drivabillty myself on the street with hp tuner in OLSD...
Most important, for those interested I am sharing my PCM BIN File, which is my complete tune...

It has been posted on HPTuner forum as on some others and is somewhere in my initial thread mentioned above!!!!

Amazing drivability, mileage is more than correct because the OLSD allow me to simulate the "lean cruise" parameters (not in use in USA), idle is smooth as silk as well, but if required I give you the trick to make it sound NASCAR

The idle @ 900rpm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcRY0g2OHZM

Have fun and hope to share with everyone interested...for free!!!
Christian

Congrats on the tune!!! But what does that have to do with what we were talking about?

I re-iterate.. 4000rpm and 300 hp isnt what others would call street power.
Its a great car and you've done a great job but I call it the way I see it. Even with my car.

It will be a mid to top end performer which is what I wanted but I wouldnt do it this way if I was in traffic everyday. No way in hell. I'd check up more in the 224/228 cam size for a daily driven street car that faces traffic. Maybe with an auto you can get away with a bigger cam, but an m6 can be a pia in traffic and big cam no matter how good the tune.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Congrats on the tune!!! But what does that have to do with what we were talking about?

I re-iterate.. 4000rpm and 300 hp isnt what others would call street power.
Its a great car and you've done a great job but I call it the way I see it. Even with my car.

It will be a mid to top end performer which is what I wanted but I wouldnt do it this way if I was in traffic everyday. No way in hell. I'd check up more in the 224/228 cam size for a daily driven street car that faces traffic. Maybe with an auto you can get away with a bigger cam, but an m6 can be a pia in traffic and big cam no matter how good the tune.
That seems to be a more civilized comment.

I am going to make your life simple...

Simply provide to all of us some 346Ci. NA dyno graphs that are showing more than 5% in increase of power in the zone than my numbers mentionned in the post # 19 page 1 of this thread!!!

Waiting to see that soon
Christian
Old 08-04-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
You'll probably need a big cam, but you've got 2 good choices laid out there, the t-rex could probably also get it done. Might need a bigger head too, like an AFR 225.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hammertime
If you want 500rwhp, Pat G's and miami's setups are the ones to look at. AS you can tell from the list of parts, it's not the cheapest setup.

Also, I bolded your 30# injectors, as it seems that is entirely to low for your HP goal, unless I'm missing something.
Hi hammertime,

Good catch and good advice on the injectors.

With my Lucas #42 I already reach 68% of the duty cycle on a cold day with dense air...

I would have maximized the #30 for sure, with my combo!

Christian
Old 08-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

More civilized comment?!? Blow me punk.

I stated that your combo would perform at 4000 rpms and up and I was right. 300 hp at 4000 rpms isnt blowing anyones skirt up that I know, but if you want to dance a jig about go ahead. The true power of your car comes above what more people shift at on the street. A few of us like to shift at 7000 rpms but we're few and far between.

Your obviously far impressed with yourself.. 11 is not far over 100 but what ever. It's a great combo like I said before but it's an upper rpm range performer.

You cant handle that? Cam only my tr224 put down more tq quicker but loses in the long run but if your not shifting above 5500 rpms then it doesnt matter. Like I said it's all prefference. Streetable is way open to interpretation just like way over 500

Unsubscribing before I get nasty. Most dynos start recording around 1500-200 rpms for street cars. If you know your going to be an upper rpm performer you dont record until 3000-3500 rpms.

Its not a dog, didnt say it was did I, I said its upper rpm range and it is. In some peoples eyes its not streetable power. They shift at 5500 rpms and wont ever see the beauty of that expensive as hell setup. OH I know I'm a bastard for pointing out the facts.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

99blancoSS,

Your comments are ridiculous and senseless, I could find that funny.

You are spreading all over your lack of knowledge...learn to read a dyno sheet first and come back...

You were speaking of streetability and power between 3000rpm and 4000rpm, and here I come very simply with a request to you to provide dyno charts showing 5% more power than what my combo is putting down...you are not able to provide anything!!!
You are making your point strongly unvalid...

I don't want to teach you anything but the misinformation through your posts above need some accurate correction for the benefit of forum members reading this thread.

-At 3000 rpm my combo is making over 200 rwhp which is 35 rwhp more than a stock ZO6-- 21% in increase power
-At 3500 rpm my combo is making over 240 rwhp which is 35 rwhp more than a stock ZO6-- 17% in increase power
-At 4000 rpm my combo is making ~ 290 rwhp which is 45 rwhp more than a stock ZO6----- 18% in increase power
-At 4500 rpm my combo is making ~ 375 rwhp which is 90 rwhp more than a stock ZO6----- 32% in increase power
-At 5000 rpm my combo is making ~ 425 rwhp which is 105 rwhp more than a stock ZO6---- 33% in increase power
-At 5500 rpm my combo is making ~ 475 rwhp which is 130 rwhp more than a stock ZO6---- 37.5% in increase power

May be you want to convince everyone that a stock ZO6 is not drivable and you want also to convince everyone that 18.66% of increase power between 3000rpm and 4000rpm is making an engine not responding ???

Those are the revs you are defining has beeing used on the street... I personnaly shift rarely over 3500rpm driving in and around town, the torque of this engine is firmly alive here, no surging bicking as shown in the video!!!
And I am cruising at 1800rpm / 6th gear / 77 mph / 28mpg of mileage...everytime I spin over 4000 rpm on street tires second gear I have already almost too much power and make my tire shop happy.
Beetween 3000 rpm and 4000rpm this engine is making an amazing power with a lot of torque which make the car street friendly drivable!!!

If someone can say that I lost power down low versus how a ZO6 is from the factory, or versus any other LS1/LS6 346 Ci. NA it needs to be explained using some magical unrational illogical way of thinking...and there you are!

I am providing facts, numbers, videos and you don't see anything at all, and I am not worried about that in any manner.

One more time, show me some dyno sheets with I don't know what numbers in the lower zone that are higher than tose above and give you "this streetability" that my engine is missing according to your reasoning, it will be interesting.

For an engine builder/tuner increasing only 5% the power between 3000rpm and 4000rpm over the data I am providing will be a strong challenge, doable if you want to shut the power at 5400rpm, but not that easy...and it will never go anywhere over 430 rwhp at 5400rpm on pump gas or be drivable at partial throttle.

Then I will not polemic with you anymore, the readers of this thread have now enough information to make their own judgement on what can be done when a member is asking for power over 500rwhp on a 346 Ci. NA with the streetability on the top of it.

Pleasure to not talk to you anymore.

Christian
Old 08-04-2007, 11:46 PM

And I think we have a winner! Nicely done...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by miami993c297
99blancoSS,

Your comments are ridiculous and senseless, I could find that funny.

You are spreading all over your lack of knowledge...learn to read a dyno sheet first and come back...

You were speaking of streetability and power between 3000rpm and 4000rpm, and here I come very simply with a request to you to provide dyno charts showing 5% more power than what my combo is putting down...you are not able to provide anything!!!
You are making your point strongly unvalid...

I don't want to teach you anything but the misinformation through your posts above need some accurate correction for the benefit of forum members reading this thread.

-At 3000 rpm my combo is making over 200 rwhp which is 35 rwhp more than a stock ZO6-- 21% in increase power
-At 3500 rpm my combo is making over 240 rwhp which is 35 rwhp more than a stock ZO6-- 17% in increase power
-At 4000 rpm my combo is making ~ 290 rwhp which is 45 rwhp more than a stock ZO6----- 18% in increase power
-At 4500 rpm my combo is making ~ 375 rwhp which is 90 rwhp more than a stock ZO6----- 32% in increase power
-At 5000 rpm my combo is making ~ 425 rwhp which is 105 rwhp more than a stock ZO6---- 33% in increase power
-At 5500 rpm my combo is making ~ 475 rwhp which is 130 rwhp more than a stock ZO6---- 37.5% in increase power

May be you want to convince everyone that a stock ZO6 is not drivable and you want also to convince everyone that 18.66% of increase power between 3000rpm and 4000rpm is making an engine not responding ???

Those are the revs you are defining has beeing used on the street... I personnaly shift rarely over 3500rpm driving in and around town, the torque of this engine is firmly alive here, no surging bicking as shown in the video!!!
And I am cruising at 1800rpm / 6th gear / 77 mph / 28mpg of mileage...everytime I spin over 4000 rpm on street tires second gear I have already almost too much power and make my tire shop happy.
Beetween 3000 rpm and 4000rpm this engine is making an amazing power with a lot of torque which make the car street friendly drivable!!!

If someone can say that I lost power down low versus how a ZO6 is from the factory, or versus any other LS1/LS6 346 Ci. NA it needs to be explained using some magical unrational illogical way of thinking...and there you are!

I am providing facts, numbers, videos and you don't see anything at all, and I am not worried about that in any manner.

One more time, show me some dyno sheets with I don't know what numbers in the lower zone that are higher than tose above and give you "this streetability" that my engine is missing according to your reasoning, it will be interesting.

For an engine builder/tuner increasing only 5% the power between 3000rpm and 4000rpm over the data I am providing will be a strong challenge, doable if you want to shut the power at 5400rpm, but not that easy...and it will never go anywhere over 430 rwhp at 5400rpm on pump gas or be drivable at partial throttle.

Then I will not polemic with you anymore, the readers of this thread have now enough information to make their own judgement on what can be done when a member is asking for power over 500rwhp on a 346 Ci. NA with the streetability on the top of it.

Pleasure to not talk to you anymore.

Christian
Yes, I'm a reader of this thread and I do have enough information to realize that your HP numbers were generated on a Dynojet. Just based on that simple fact your CAR doesn't make 511 true HP. It is well established that Dynojet numbers are inflated (10%) and are only good for ones ego - but are not realistic when talking true engin HP. Hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but your CAR is only making approximately 460 HP on a Mustang dyno which is much more accurate when discussing true engin HP.

Oh, bye the way my engin is bigger than yours and makes considerably more HP (over 600 on a Dynojet) and it idles at 1000 RPM and is very streetable.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

[/QUOTE] Yes, I'm a reader of this thread and I do have enough information to realize that your HP numbers were generated on a Dynojet. Just based on that simple fact your CAR doesn't make 511 true HP. It is well established that Dynojet numbers are inflated (10%) and are only good for ones ego - but are not realistic when talking true engin HP. Hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but your CAR is only making approximately 460 HP on a Mustang dyno which is much more accurate when discussing true engin HP.

Oh, bye the way my engin is bigger than yours and makes considerably more HP (over 600 on a Dynojet) and it idles at 1000 RPM and is very streetable.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Sgt Lugnuts
And I think we have a winner! Nicely done...
+1 ...miami993c297, gotta watch out for the haters man, theres a lot of them on here. Nice set-up

Last edited by deeloc1; 08-05-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

well back on topic... i was just looking at the #30's i thought the #42's would be too big what do yall think? anymore suggestions for cam? whos the best custom cam spec guy around??
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Everyone usually says Patrick G or Predator Z on this site. Patrick G charges a small fee to spec cams and i usually see Predator Z posting them up for free.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"well back on topic... i was just looking at the #30's i thought the #42's would be too big what do yall think?"

Not too big at all. I've got 42's and put out 431hp, but have room to grow into them if need be.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, I'm a reader of this thread and I do have enough information to realize that your HP numbers were generated on a Dynojet. Just based on that simple fact your CAR doesn't make 511 true HP. It is well established that Dynojet numbers are inflated (10%) and are only good for ones ego - but are not realistic when talking true engin HP. Hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but your CAR is only making approximately 460 HP on a Mustang dyno which is much more accurate when discussing true engin HP.

Oh, bye the way my engin is bigger than yours and makes considerably more HP (over 600 on a Dynojet) and it idles at 1000 RPM and is very streetable.[/QUOTE]

+1 ...miami993c297, gotta watch out for the haters man, theres a lot of them on here. Nice set-up [/QUOTE]

Producing 500 (actual) n/a rwhp on a 346 is no easy task. I'm sure that there are some that have accomplished that goal,but most guys that post that number are just dreaming. I personally never came close to making 500 rwhp on my 346 h/c setup (438 was all I could muster). I wasn't knocking the mans setup, just putting some reality back in the game.

As far as the originator of this thread goals are conserned he is on the right track to making some serious HP - don't get all tied up on making some pie in the sky dyno number. Just put your combo together and enjoy it.

Pointing out the truth doesn't make one a "hater" its was just a matter of fact.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

There's always someone faster.

Let's keep this thread technical and not ego driven. We realize many of you have worked hard to maximize your combos...that's the important thing.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2018 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 Pat G tuned.
LS1,LS2,LS3,LS7,LT1 Custom Camshaft Specialist For custom camshaft help press here.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Hi david vericker,

As reader of this thread I am glad you bring you lights and advices to CaMaRo67RS355 that is asking about "so i want over 500 RWHP with a head/cam swap what cam would be best?"

Originally Posted by david vericker
Yes, I'm a reader of this thread and I do have enough information to realize that your HP numbers were generated on a Dynojet. Just based on that simple fact your CAR doesn't make 511 true HP. .
Yes those measurements were done on a dyno jet which seems to be the tool communally used on a lot of generic forums debating about engine modification.

It is a relative cheap tool compare to a lot others, pretty robust and very easy to use, but overall everyone can compare through those forums their power with the same reference: Dynojet numbers.

The power lost through the drivetrain in my case is 63 hp.

Flywheel hp are 574...this is already clearly commented in my original thread, you will find the details reading through it.

It is well established that Dynojet numbers are inflated (10%) and are only good for ones ego - but are not realistic when talking true engin HP..but your CAR is only making approximately 460 HP on a Mustang dyno which is much more accurate when discussing true engin HP.
At the end of the story when you have applied the correction factor related to the Dyno System you are using , the final Flywheel HP are very similar...

Commonly if it is 15% correction factor that you apply with a Dynojet, it will be 20% to 22% with a Mustang dyno to rebalance the final same numbers at the Flywheel...

Always keep in mind that those chassis dyno are basically measuring tools, their primary purpose is to be used as it in term of industry language.

I Hope this doesn't burst your bubble, .
Oh no David, don't be disapointed, my "bubble" is not around or in my ZO6, I am fortunate enough to have some more powerfull racing cars in my daily life to make me dream and keep my business busy...my true bubble is with my family...

Oh, bye the way my engin is bigger than yours and makes considerably more HP (over 600 on a Dynojet) and it idles at 1000 RPM and is very streetable.
On a very quick side note totally off topic (as you are in the above comment), if I decide to go for some bigger engine in term of cubic capacity, I will chase for really big numbers, specially if I race the car, and my goals would be a lot higher than only 131mph trap speed in the quarter...

Peace and have fun racing!!!
Christian
Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

People use the term "streetable" way to loosely. It should be descirbed as part throttle engine power and torque. you cant compare wot throttle numbers to how it responds on the street. Although I do occassionly nail it from a stop light, how often on the street, if it is a daily driver, hence the term streetable, are you going to have the car wide open. With that said I have a ms4 and LOVE IT!!!! for a big cam it has good streetability.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

I dont understand why you guys keep hating on this DYNO PROVEN setup. Its numbers, you simply cant argue with his analysis- its too easy to just overcome any argument because his conclusion/point is made CRYSTAL clear with numbers, adding and subtracting and making numerators and denominators (IE fractions/decimal equivalents) and can't be refuted by saying that his combo isnt making enough power simply because douchebags have higher hp numbers with bigger cubes.. who the hell cares? Take your cars and race them. Hell- I could have a 420whp car and easily smoke him because it looks like that car simply lights them up on command- and on the street that in my mind (at 80mph probably) is simply badass. How many of you guys actually have driven a high hp revchaser on the street? (PatG/DaveV dont take this as an insult) But you guys are just speculating how it is to drive this car, you have never even seen it in person, HAVE YOU?

Chill out, this is the internet. Just beware- as Patrick said- There is always someone out there bigger and badder. Im going to be genuinely afraid when someone makes 500whp on a forged bottom end and then has a DP setup and isnt afraid to hit it. Hell- even a 100hp dry would make one of these cars even more scary fast than they already are. You will see these setups becoming more commonplace with the new ls3/l92 setups coming in stock cars, and the stock heads which flow better than most aftermarket castings without even trying.

Carry on with your nearly meaninless arguments, gentlemen. Just remember- that guy who wont pop his hood or who rolls up next to you on the highway with a coy little smile on his face probably has deeper pockets than you and isnt afraid to do w/e it takes to win.

Quick Reply: so i want over 500 RWHP with a head/cam swap what cam would be best?