Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can needed?

I just pulled my heads and noticed lots of built up of carbon deposits on the pistons and chambers; there are also oil deposits on the intake ports....although the car ran great, I suspect these are due to recently added LT headers (intake ports were prestine before LT's went on)....

Sine I would like to avoid this in the future; is a PVC oil catch can the solution?

How do you rig these? Someone said they sell the parts needed at Sears? Which parts do I need; is there a web page on this mod?

I assume I will throw a code if I block the PVC valve, right?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Catch can needed?

What about a LS6 lower valley. Its better than a catch can..... Fix the problem with the LS6 lower valley, dont patch it up with the catch can.
Look at jmXs page on this. Here
Old 05-27-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a LS6 lower valley. Its better than a catch can..... Fix the problem with the LS6 lower valley, dont patch it up with the catch can.
Look at jmXs page on this. Here
I disagree. In my opinion, the oil catch can is a more effective fix for keeping oil out of your intake. It has been proven by many members that although the LS6 valley mod does help eliminate oil consumption, it does not completely stop it. The only way to effectively stop it is the oil catch can.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is my catch can, it was about $25 bucks at Home Depot.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Constrictor, the LS6 valley worked for the few that I know that did it. But they also had low oil consumption.

Honez, can you give me some details for that?? it looks good. what did you use as a filter element?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey Honez:
Your setup is nice; evrything is SO clean! Can you please tell me how it was made?

You said the parts came from Home Depo; what is the tin can made from; how did you incorporate the hose fittings into the can?

Thanks...
Old 05-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Launching!

honez, would you mind pming or emailing the info on the catch can to me also. i agree with robertbartsch, your set up is very nice.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you look at it really closly it looks like a PVC tube 3-4 inches round, and with an end cap in each end spray painted black. Pretty neat actually. Good idea.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

No. It is black pvc.

Generally searching rather than asking about something many of people has done over the last year+ turns up more results than asking.

I researched it, built it, modded it so I never have to move it. Quite happy with it, and it looks a lot like the one above.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made mine out of PVC tubing also, but I sprayed my aluminum color. I want to revise my inlet, so I'll post pix once I have that done, however, I highly recommend this mod to anyone with an LS1 since its so easy to make and it really does stop oil consumption.

In my opinion, a filter element is not necessary. It doesn't hurt, but if you design the canister correctly and separate the inlet and outlets far enough, no oil should get into the intake.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Great:
When you make it from PVC pipe, how do the tube fitings get attached to the canister?
Old 05-29-2003, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Constrictor, the LS6 valley worked for the few that I know that did it. But they also had low oil consumption.

I did both the valley cover and the catch can. I have a new motor with extremely low oil consumption and there is still oil that gets into the intake albiet a heck of a lot less.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great:
When you make it from PVC pipe, how do the tube fitings get attached to the canister?
I drilled the holes in the top and side of the PVC tubing barely smaller than the diameter of the threaded portion of the fittings, and "screwed" them into those holes so it would thread by itself. Then once it was on, on the inside, I used PVC cement and coated around the threads to seal it up. Let it dry for a while and then installed it. No leaks.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a really nifty idea guys! Great work!!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Help me here....wouldn't you want the "catch can" located after the pvc valve??? That seems to be where the excess oil would be...uh..caught. Btw, how do you empty it?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Help me here....wouldn't you want the "catch can" located after the pvc valve??? That seems to be where the excess oil would be...uh..caught. Btw, how do you empty it?
Those use PVC, so just put a screw fitting on there and dump it out
Old 05-30-2003, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

It matters not where the *PCV* is located in relation to the device. It does not stop the progression of oil into the intake.

I would be happy to let you take a look at my Lowe's special. I have collected about a cup of oil in less than 1000 miles.