Sponsored by:

Trickflow Heads & Small to Medium Cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I totally dissagree with you on that one.
Look for an older Tony Mamo thread on his original 224/228 114+1 XE-R cam in a 205 AFR headed setup.
Can you say 475rwhp ???

Big cams in a 346 that is not a pure race setup is just ego stroke. The trick is to maximize the overall combo and not just band aid it with a big cam.
Some poeple will say, it pulls like a train above 3500, my 224/222 does that too, all the way to 7000.

The majic word is COMBO and there are small cam combos and big cam combos. most big cam combos around are mismatched.
Neither the head, nor intake, nor air induction/MAF setup is maximized for those cams.
Pure speculation and conjecture.

You're stating, without facts, that most big cam combos are not "maximized" while implying that most small cam combos are

If you were to put a small cam combo against mine I'm certain that said set-up would make far less power than mine If you think the contrary . . . then you need to do more research.

Regardless, dyno numbers can be "massaged" by anyone.

If you were to maximize said tiny cam set-up and run mine on the street, it would get walked; plain and simple. Over the past 6 years I've had the pleasure of racing MANY H/C F-bodies, Corvettes, and custom cars of varying degrees in varying conditions. Real-world power always shows on the street.

The "475" 224 H/C combo you refer to required the right Head and accompanying bolt-ons. Do you HONESTLY believe that a Vindicator or other large cam with the same proper Heads and bolt-ons would only produce 475???

How about this: do you believe that small set-up would pull that large set-up on the highway where the driver and traction are all but eliminated from the equation; leaving just the power of the set-ups to determine the outcome?

In the end, everyone will spend their money as they choose. This site provides information to better educate people in making said decisions. Dynos can "lie." A loss on the street or at the strip cannot. FWIW.

Last edited by The Dragon; 09-03-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 PM

You guys are missing the point arguing cams. He wants to know if he can hit 450rwhp by adding trick flow heads to his car. I say no without other mods. An underdrive pully and Fast 90/90 combo should get him there with good heads. I have not seen many results with trick flows. AFR's would work good though.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Your looking to get 70rwhp out of heads? Not going to happen. You can expect around 40rwhp with the heads. Should put you right around 426rwhp/ ~410rwtq.

With a TR224 and AFR heads I made 425rwhp/403rwtq. I need a Mamo ported FAST 90/90 set up and EWP. Could hit 450rwhp.
403/378 pre TFS 225's. 464/409 after. LS2 228/232 .611/.600 111, FAST 90, LT's.

Same Mustang Dyno.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allthrotle
I am using the trick flow stage 3 cam and I just put down 445rwhp and 421rwtq, by my standards I dont condsider the trick flow cam to be a BIG cam I think its rather small considering what else is offered for a stock motor.
These are the kinda of results I'm looking for. I'm really wanting to see some big torque numbers with this cam and excellent numbers in the low and midrange. I see you do have the Fast 90 though. Do you have a graph you could post? Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pewterme
These are the kinda of results I'm looking for. I'm really wanting to see some big torque numbers with this cam and excellent numbers in the low and midrange. I see you do have the Fast 90 though. Do you have a graph you could post? Thanks
I have my dyno sheet but, I dont have a way to scan it and post it up. If Rick reads this thread he might be able to post it up for me if he wants. I do have the fast 90/90 and I was originaly going to use the trickflow heads but, my money situation only allowed for the purchase of the patriot stage 2's. I talked to Rick at and he told me that it would make good power without having to spend the extra money. I am making the exact power I was aiming for. (450rwhp)

Quick Reply: Trickflow Heads & Small to Medium Cams