Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the most powerfull cam you can put into a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comp is a reputable company, but I've never spoke to them. Sometimes you get meathead tech guys. A guy at Precision Industries told me that under no circumstances should I put higher than a 3000 stall converter in a street driven car. Who the hell are you supposed to trust? The bigger a company gets the more likely you are to get an idiot on the phone.

Well, have you reached 500 miles yet?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

I ordered from LG instead. Yeah it's still a Comp cam, but at least I could be sure that it was dead on specs that nobody would mess up.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
I ordered from LG instead. Yeah it's still a Comp cam, but at least I could be sure that it was dead on specs that nobody would mess up.
Yeah, right! No such thing as dead-on. The best I've seen on an Adcole test of every lobe is within less than 1/2 °. That's super, but not perfect. Very few engines are going to feel a difference in 1/2°. Heck, the cam twists that much...or more.

Comp's normal cams are mostly that close lobe-to-lobe. If anything is off it's usually the ICL with respect to the dowel. This is sometimes necessary to get the erequired LSA and lobes on the core. Of course any cam should be degreed in during installation. That corrects any errors in ICL.

More importantly: What are the specs of your LG cam? Lobe numbers, LSA and ICL? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by Old SStroker; 08-30-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
If I built some fancy new engine part that worked well, there's no way I'm going to give up the design information that can't be discovered by measurement of the parts. If someone wants to copy it they can do the research, testing, etc., or they can pay me to sell them parts.Jon
Seems kinda selfish, just my .02
Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 PM

i think i might go ahead and change my avatar to that popeye pic.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Seems kinda selfish, just my .02
Absolutely! I am not an altruistic person. "Value given for value received" is my credo. In that scenerio both the seller and the buyer benefit. IOW, it's a win-win.

If I invent something which others had no part in, I do not have to give it to them free. Thay may try to steal it, which is done a lot, but only by holding a gun to my head are they going to get the "recipe". Entitlement is word that frosts my cookies.

[The Oldone climbs down from the soapbox, and puts this thread back on topic]
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Absolutely! I am not an altruistic person. "Value given for value received" is my credo. In that scenerio both the seller and the buyer benefit. IOW, it's a win-win.

If I invent something which others had no part in, I do not have to give it to them free. Thay may try to steal it, which is done a lot, but only by holding a gun to my head are they going to get the "recipe". Entitlement is word that frosts my cookies.

[The Oldone climbs down from the soapbox, and puts this thread back on topic]
If i ever came up w/ a sick N/A rig then I'd be more than happy to share the "secret formula" to that perfect engine setup (HA! Like i'll ever find one).... knowledge is power, i say share it.

To each his own. Like i said, just my .02 ----> sorry to run off topic
Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vrbas
If i ever came up w/ a sick N/A rig then I'd be more than happy to share the "secret formula" to that perfect engine setup (HA! Like i'll ever find one).... knowledge is power, i say share it.

To each his own. Like i said, just my .02 ----> sorry to run off topic
IOW, your knowledge is someone else's power. You are an altruist. Too bad. What's your major? Not philosophy nor the hard sciences, I'll bet.

Don't buy all that bovine scat the BHL profs. seem to dish out at most colleges. Remember they aren't living/working in the real world...and many never have been. Nary a one would vote for Fred Dalton Thompson.

Jon

Oh yeah..BHL = Bleeding Heart Liberal

The on-topic content remains thus: those who build stuff that wins keep their speed secrets to themselves. Check into the McLaren-Ferrari F1 bruhaha now going on.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, right! No such thing as dead-on. The best I've seen on an Adcole test of every lobe is within less than 1/2 °. That's super, but not perfect. Very few engines are going to feel a difference in 1/2°. Heck, the cam twists that much...or more.

Comp's normal cams are mostly that close lobe-to-lobe. If anything is off it's usually the ICL with respect to the dowel. This is sometimes necessary to get the erequired LSA and lobes on the core. Of course any cam should be degreed in during installation. That corrects any errors in ICL.

More importantly: What are the specs of your LG cam? Lobe numbers, LSA and ICL? Inquiring minds want to know!
Well, aren't you just the bored fella tonight? Get out of the HOUSE and off the computer! DRIVE YOUR CAR! WoW!

And just so you know, we spec'ed my cam with a degree wheel and dial indicator. It was the closest to the lobe's catalog numbers that you'll see. And I've seen this with 2 other LG cams too. I believe that to be why LG cams cost a little more. Anybody who knows cams knows that Comp doesn't grind them perfect. There is a margin of error. And some companies will sell a Comp cam with a wider margin than others. Seems LG won't accept them if they're too far off.

Just to be a jerk I'll not tell what it spec'ed to, but it was exactly what the lobes were supposed to be on a G5X3. The only thing that was off was the LSA was 0.5* closer than claimed. That should totally fill in the blanks for you.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
I think you meant to say duration.

actually he meant lift. Duration is how long a valve stays open, lift is how much it actually travels.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

IOW, your knowledge is someone else's power. You are an altruist. Too bad. What's your major? Not philosophy nor the hard sciences, I'll bet.

Don't buy all that bovine scat the BHL profs. seem to dish out at most colleges. Remember they aren't living/working in the real world...and many never have been. Nary a one would vote for Fred Dalton Thompson.

Jon
Criminology/Criminal Justice. We all have our own opinions/morals/whatever so let's just leave it at that (remember, this is LS1TECH... not a philosophy forum). So i'm an altruist, what of it? We're all different. It doesn't make me better than you or you better than me.

But let's veer back on topic shall we? I don't seem to be doing anything here but stirring up a mess, so i'll take my leave.

Last edited by Vrbas; 09-01-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Jon

Oh yeah..BHL = Bleeding Heart Liberal

The on-topic content remains thus: those who build stuff that wins keep their speed secrets to themselves. Check into the McLaren-Ferrari F1 bruhaha now going on.
SStroker, I am a conservative capitalist to the bone. I am in a business that employs technology and proprietary secrets. I am not against using hard earned knowledge to make money. But come on, the info floating around this board is NOT top secret. Your thinking seems to say this board shouldn't even exist because people might tell you something more specific than "I have a GM product of some type".
I would venture to say that very, very few people on this board are pro racers. They just need help finding the proper combo for fun. And some here have the money to dream up the one-off custom cam they have speccially ground just for them and even THAT means nothing.
Open discussion doesn't cost the good builders any real money because at the end of the day those who can afford it will pay a builder to make them some power and those who can't weren't going to be customers anyway. I could order all the parts myself and assemble them on my garage floor but it's worthit to me to work with a builder and get it professionaly done. They will get my dollars, don't worry!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Snyper
actually he meant lift. Duration is how long a valve stays open, lift is how much it actually travels.

Both affect whether or not the valve does a faceplant on the piston.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

And just so you know, we spec'ed my cam with a degree wheel and dial indicator. It was the closest to the lobe's catalog numbers that you'll see. And I've seen this with 2 other LG cams too. I believe that to be why LG cams cost a little more. Anybody who knows cams knows that Comp doesn't grind them perfect. There is a margin of error. And some companies will sell a Comp cam with a wider margin than others. Seems LG won't accept them if they're too far off.
My error. I didn't realize LG had the two four-digit lobe numbers etched on the end of your cam. In that case it will be very easy to duplicate any LG cam. As well as LG cams work, I am very surprised they put the lobe numbers on.

FWIW: A full cam "Adcole" inspection costs $50 extra from Comp. Not too many folks have that done on every cam they sell. If I was paying for that in a cam I bought, I'd certainly want a copy of the report.

FWIW-2: Most, if not all, "custom" cams like LG's are ground on super-accurate CNC cam grinders. They don't have a less expensive "standard" and more costly "super-accurate" mode for positioning the lobes. They are all super-accurately placed.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

lobe .

FWIW: A full cam "Adcole" inspection costs $50 extra from Comp. Not too many folks have that done on every cam they sell. If I was paying for that in a cam I bought, I'd certainly want a copy of the report.

So you DO agree with me!
If that report was so secret and otherwise unknowable you would not get it.

FWIW: All aftermaket companies have a starting point on new products as well. They reverse engineer GM's massive budget engineering's dept.'s products and improve on them.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Next time, if you're trying to be helpful, try replacing those xxx's with some real numbers. If I am willing the expose every part number of what it takes to hit 500 rwhp with heads and cam, the least you can do is give full disclosure of your cam specs. Teaser specs just **** the people off asking for help.
i do agree with you!

i dont try to hide any of my numbers, also if i dont hit the hp's i want to.. ppl can help mo to figure oiut easyer
Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

My error. I didn't realize LG had the two four-digit lobe numbers etched on the end of your cam. In that case it will be very easy to duplicate any LG cam. As well as LG cams work, I am very surprised they put the lobe numbers on.
You're either a woman or a cop. Because those are the only two types of people who could read what I wrote and get your conclusion from that. Are you even reading before you type? Where did you get that I said the lobe numbers are on there? You can tell what lobes they are because they are ground on XE-R lobes obviously, and LG lists the lift on their web site. Take what XE-R lobes have that lift and find them to come up with the specs. Or do like I did and measure it for free. Also, is there a point you're trying to get to? Let's get to it so we can actually work toward something here.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're either a woman or a cop. Because those are the only two types of people who could read what I wrote and get your conclusion from that. Are you even reading before you type? Where did you get that I said the lobe numbers are on there? You can tell what lobes they are because they are ground on XE-R lobes obviously, and LG lists the lift on their web site. Take what XE-R lobes have that lift and find them to come up with the specs. Or do like I did and measure it for free. Also, is there a point you're trying to get to? Let's get to it so we can actually work toward something here.
Both.

I assumed (wrongly) that you had a Comp "lobe catalog" with all of it's supplements and were comparing the actual cam to what the the catalog said the lobes should be.

My point was that LG doesn't advertise the actual lobe numbers. On some of their cams they use "2XX" or "call for information." There is also a chance they might NOT be XE-R lobes, or that they might even change lobes without telling us. It's been known to happen.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by troopercar
So you DO agree with me!
If that report was so secret and otherwise unknowable you would not get it.

Actually the inspection report went to the cam designer/buyer who specified what the cam would be. It might not be given to the end user by the cam guy.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

I can't think of a time when LG changed lobes on a shelf cam actually.

Quick Reply: the most powerfull cam you can put into a ls1