Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of what i found on my oil drain Plug :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
If the valves are ok, and the engine rotates ok I would put it right back together and run it, if it breaks later on then oh well then its time to get a new motor, until then run the one he has and start saving up. The metal shavings were a bit excessive but the motor will still run fine im sure as long as the valves are still straight.

Youre making it out to be a lot worse than it probably is IMO.
I dunno .. maybe. nobody really knows unless it's apart. But in the other thread he was talkin about his plugs being saturated with oil and his clear lid being filled with smoke. That along with metal shavings, bent valves and whatever else sure doesn't sound good to me.

but good luck to him either way.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh I missed that other thread, if its that bad then yeah the motor may be about done.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

But the smoke could just be from the timing getting messed up and opening the intake valve with exhaust trying to go out. The pistons don't look bad at all. If the heads are not damaged then I would throw it back together and see if it runs. I highly doubt there is bottom end damage
Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

How do you guys not expect bottom end damage from that?? You can see in the pics where the valve was touching the piston in both cylinders. If im wrong correct be, but doesnt that mean rod stretch or bearing failure?? I know that their isnt a significant amount of damage now but him trying to put it back together would lead him back to square one pretty soon dont ya think?? If it were me i'd take it apart just to be safe and check everything. That is all...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blck_01ss
How do you guys not expect bottom end damage from that?? You can see in the pics where the valve was touching the piston in both cylinders. If im wrong correct be, but doesnt that mean rod stretch or bearing failure?? I know that their isnt a significant amount of damage now but him trying to put it back together would lead him back to square one pretty soon dont ya think?? If it were me i'd take it apart just to be safe and check everything. That is all...
Dunno if you read the whole thread, but the cam gear came loose causing the timing to go off, thats why there was PTV issues... at 6800 rpm i'm suprised it was only those two valves that hit, but i'm willing to bet they're bent.. Only one way to find out.

If you're hell bent on putting it back together, please post startup vid!!! I'd recommend running it for a few minutes if it does run ok then doing an oil change to get as much of those nasty shavings out you can. I have a feeling you're gonna have low oil pressure though...did you ever check your oil level...?

My worry is that if this guy had issues like this doing a cam swap, there's much to be desired of him getting everything right when it comes to changing heads. Cleaning is crutial, so take your time and do it right, and TORQUE THE HEADS CORRECTLY TO SPEC. Muscleing the heads down improperly is gonna lead to a blown head gasket or worse...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll ask again. How many miles did you have on this setup?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
why does the dowel pin still need to be in there if u have 3 bolts holding them on
Two reasons, one is alignment. Two is the dowel also will take a shear load without allowing relative movement of the gear to the cam. Bolts won't do this due to clearance's of the holes. Without the dowel, your cam will not be properly timed even when dot to dot.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I'll ask again. How many miles did you have on this setup?
I think he just got it running. I would guess under 6,000miles
Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 AM
12 Second Club

Pour rubbing alcohol into the ports of the heads while they are off. If it leaks past the seat on the valves, take the heads to the machine shop to get them checked out and a new valve job (and probably guides) done on them. You may also consider flycutting the pistons while you are this far into the motor. I would really like to know where the extra shavings came from.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it was my dowl pin and my cam sprocket gear cam loose, what do yall think that this could be from
Judging by this statement, I'd say that the bolts started to get loose. As they came loose it wobbled and wiggled the dowel pin out.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I think its a main bolt they hang right above the oil pan and look very close to that. Did you drop your oil pan?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My main concern would be the fact that 5 and 7 are even with each other. That's pretty odd?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My main concern would be the fact that 5 and 7 are even with each other. That's pretty odd?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Are you serious?? Please explain...
Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

The LS1 firing order is: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3
Theres no reason that number 5 and 7 should be side-by-side.
-Joel
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

this is what worries me... this is cylinder number 5 and 7 they are equal as far as height....

and here is the lifters they are fine...
OK, for all the idiots telling this guy to put this thing back together it should be fine, look at the piston on the right. That shiny portion near the top sort of heart shaped, is the piston either coming up and slightly touching the head or coming so close it is knocking the carbon off. Now granted if this guy was an expert builder and all of the piston were the same, we might conclude that he has the deck clearance just a little tight, but that it would hopefully be fine once the block heats up and grows and the pistons heat up and tighten up in the bores. But since only one of them looks this way, and he should have plenty of piston to head clearance, then it is a foregone conclusion that something is wrong with that cylinder and that that something is most likely a rod bearing, if not a rod bearing, crank, and rod as well as possibly the piston since they do not much like being smacked against the head.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keen eye BOWTIE! Maybe he should just drill the bolt heads and use safety wire.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
The LS1 firing order is: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3
Theres no reason that number 5 and 7 should be side-by-side.
-Joel
Lol ok so i'm still not understanding why that has anything to do with the pistons stopping short of each other. If I did my math correct cylinders # 5 and 7 are at equal height at around .895 below the deck so therefore I dont see why if you were to kill the motor why these two pistons couldnt stop short of eachother... My question overall is why this is such a big concern to everyone?? And why in the hell would you try to put the motor back together after seeing metal shavings and marks on the piston where it was slapping the valve?!? Just doesnt make sense to me...

Quick Reply: Pic of what i found on my oil drain Plug :(