Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about re-using a crank in a badly blown motor(callies race master)and rods.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about re-using a crank in a badly blown motor(callies race master)and rods.

To make a long story short my friend has his old 383 LS1 that has a callies RACEMASTER 4" crank, callies PRO I-beam rods(made my oliver) and diamond pistons.. When he blew his motor one of the valve springs broke dropping the valve into the piston(this happend on start up) completely SHATTERING the piston and sleeve and bending the rod pretty good. Today we took the rod off the crank and the crank had a mark on the counterweight where it looked like the rod might of hit it...*now you cant feel it only see it.*The journal on the crank looks completely fine. Also the rest of the rods are in perfect shape.

Now for the questions:
Do you think the crank will still be good to reuse or is it mostlikely ruined?
And does callies sell individual rods?
Also since this rotating assembly was balanced once before and Id plan on having it RE-balanced to the new pistons/rods(if I cant find just one) would this affect the crank in any way? Thanks-Mark
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt reuse a crank with ANY visual damage. Take it to a machine shop. Depending on how bad it is, you might get away with like a light blueline on the journals or so depending on how bad it is, just gotta make sure you get the right bearings after that.

but you do need to take it to a machine shop and have it inspected though to be sure it's still useable, i'd imagine it would be fine though with some minor work as long as it's not bent or something. Blue lining the crank shouldn't be more then 200 bucks.

and yes anytime you change parts in your rotating assembly you should have it rebalanced. The shop I go to even has people send in their clutches with a refrence number and balances them to the assembly as per it was built, makes the motor purr like a kitten
Old 09-17-2007, 02:15 AM
Banned

The crank should be just fine - have your machinist check it for bend, and get it wet-mag'd for cracks just to be safe. Have the other rods checked for bend/twist.

I'll have to find the pictures I have of some bad blow-ups, the most recent being a circle track 18* motor that the previous builder attached the oil pickup incorrectly leading to a loss of oil pressure at 7800rpm which seized 3 rods and turned the other 5 h-beams into 10 pieces, the crank split in half, and the 3 front main webbings were pulled out of the block.

The worst part is that the guy borrowed the motor for the night from a friend...

Last edited by machinistone; 09-17-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
I wouldnt reuse a crank with ANY visual damage. Take it to a machine shop. Depending on how bad it is, you might get away with like a light blueline on the journals or so depending on how bad it is, just gotta make sure you get the right bearings after that.
The journals are absolutely untouched in perfect shape. Not a single nick anywhere. They will just need to be polished. On one of the counter weights it looks like the rod rubbed(you cannot feel where it made contact just see a slight discoloration)
Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

There's a guy in Southern California (El Cajon) named Dennis Bean.

Bean Crankshafts. Dennis is the guy who does A LOT of work for Crower when they get really backed up.

He's a great guy and does AWESOME work.

Also, he has a Berco Crankgrinder which is a great machine.

Good luck.

Get it magged and checked out and maybe a quick journal polish. No worries!

Quick Reply: Questions about re-using a crank in a badly blown motor(callies race master)and rods.