Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions NEW Yella Terra's vs Harland Sharps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions NEW Yella Terra's vs Harland Sharps

OK Guys, I know this question was taken up on another thread--sort of. I have heard that the old YT's caused valve float. I was leaning toward the Harland Sharps....But now YT has some new lightweight pieces out there. Who has experience with them? Are they better? I've heard that the old ones had shimming problems.....How about the new ones? I'm making a decision in the next couple of days so your help is appreciated!!!

Ray
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

I have the exact same question. I just bought the yellow terra's but wonder if I should have gone with another brand. Mine are brand new but are the old style. I got mine from TSP.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed a set of the new design lightweight YT's on a friends car. Very nice rocker and the shaft is much larger on the YT's (that almost sounds "dirty" ) We set the wipe first and found the included shims provided an ideal wipe pattern. Once we set that, we measured for pushrod length and needed longer pushrods, 7.500" were the final length. The instructions are confusing, so set the wipe first then measure for the pushrod length second. They are very nice components, but I have no experience with the HS, I have only seen them installed.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive got my eye on the new yella terra rockers. Ive only seen one guy with them and they work great on his setup.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the harland sharp. just got my car back.400ish miles so far and no problems
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I just installed a set of the new design lightweight YT's on a friends car. Very nice rocker and the shaft is much larger on the YT's (that almost sounds "dirty" ) We set the wipe first and found the included shims provided an ideal wipe pattern. Once we set that, we measured for pushrod length and needed longer pushrods, 7.500" were the final length. The instructions are confusing, so set the wipe first then measure for the pushrod length second. They are very nice components, but I have no experience with the HS, I have only seen them installed.

How do you measure for length AFTER you check wipe?? Doesn't the length change the wipe pattern? Based on my new cam having a smaller base circle I bought 7.425"....I've not heard of anyone needing 7.500's yet.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just installed the harland sharps and i'm not to happy with them... i had to shave parts of the head to get them to fit, and now when my car is in the upper rpms it has a flat spot after every shift...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISeeRed
How do you measure for length AFTER you check wipe?? Doesn't the length change the wipe pattern? Based on my new cam having a smaller base circle I bought 7.425"....I've not heard of anyone needing 7.500's yet.

Pushrod length has no affect on the wipe, the rockers are fixed fulcrum, once you bolt them down they don't move and won't affect pushrod length. There is a lot of misinformation out on this. Once you have your wipe, then measure pushrod length. We found a 0.050 shim was required to obtain proper wipe but it was dead center and 0.060" wide. Using parallel triangles, this results in an additional pushrod length of about 0.080" so the 7.500" pushrods were no surprise.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The older YT's are fine and the new design is even better. The only time the older design would cause valvefloat is when they were used in conjunction with a spring not able to handle the added mass of the rocker and valvetrain. I and many others with well thought out combos have not had any problems. I've had mine since 03.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Emoney97ss
i just installed the harland sharps and i'm not to happy with them... i had to shave parts of the head to get them to fit, and now when my car is in the upper rpms it has a flat spot after every shift...
i know exatly what your talking about.. the fitment on my motor was so tigth i thougth i would have to shave the heads.. but after some measurements and testings it seemed to be allrigth, the motor is running know and the valvetrain noise is minium.. but damn.. it was tigth, 1.7 harlands sharps non adjustable, patriot stageII heads,

Old 09-17-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah the first 1 and the last 1 were so damn close... to close for comfort for me... and who cares they were stock heads, and i have my 5.3's getting some extra port work done... i just wish i could figure out why my car stutters after 1-2 and 2-3 like it has mad valve float but after the fact its ran through the rpms...
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read the old thread and was wondering the same thing. I've seen many happy people with the new YT rockers. I plan on trying a set out for myself when everything goes back together.