Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did 3-2 misshift, now have ticking, but not p-rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did 3-2 misshift, now have ticking, but not p-rods

Unfortunately, Sat. nite at the track I had a brain fart, and did the good ole 3-2 misshift. I clutched it as soon as it went it in, but it was obvious that I did get it in, because the motor shut off. Anyways, I coast down to the far end of the track, re-prime the fuel pump a couple of times, and start it back up. As soon as I started it, I noticed the car was idling very roughly, the SES light was on, and began flashing at me, and the sewing machine ticking sound was there.

Well, I limp the car home that night, and the next morning, me and a buddy tear into it to replace the pushrods. To our amazement, every single one of them is straight! But, while we were pulling stuff apart, and outta the way, we noticed that I had a plug wire just hanging on the end of the plug, and a few more that were in pretty horrible shape. Some were so bad, that when we went to pull them off the plug, the wire just completely seperated itself from the boot, very easily I might add. BTW, they were stock wires w/81K miles on them. Well, we thought that the one plug wire that was just hanging on the end of the plug must have already been loose, and the violent jarring from the 3-2 misshift must have knoced it the rest of the way off, which in turn would have caused my rough idle, and my flashing SES, due to misfires. So we went anf bought a set of new MSD wires, threw in a set of fresh TR-6's, and hoped for the best.

As soon as we started it up, the rough idle was still there, as was the ticking. The SES light was no longer flashing, but it was still on. We were stumped. My buddy ended up having to leave, so I drove it around a lil more yesterday afternoon, and it seemed the more I drove it, the more the idle smoothed out, and the more faint the ticking noise became. The SES light was still on, but no flashing.

OK, I've just come back up from starting the car this morning, the idle is much smoother,pretty much completely back to where it used to be, and the ticking is very faint. The SES light is still on, but no flashing. As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to go out and reset the computer, and drive it some more to see what it's doing. Mt buddy is supposed to bringing his A-tap by, so we can see more of what it's doing, and try to make a diagnosis from there.

We still believe in the back of our heads that I bent a few valves, but do you really believe that the valves would bend before the pushrods? What are the symptoms of a bent vlave anyway? We also thought that it might be a lifter, because when you misshift, you mechanically over rev the car, and the car probably saw alot of valve float, and very would could have collapsed a lifter.

What are your opinions on this?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:47 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Did 3-2 misshift, now have ticking, but not p-rods

It seems you are looking in the right area. You are right about the push rods in general but bending valves is not rare. And the lifters could be stuck or colapsed. The reason I am saying stuck is because you mentioned that after driving a while the ticking got better (quiter) which describes a lifter might have ben stuck but is working now. My advice is change lifters pushrods and while the heads are off (replacing lifters) I would take the heads apart and inspect the valves. After repacing any broken or damaged parts puting new springs on is a good idea also. So that is if your are just tring not to spend any real money.
Good luck!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

If the lifter got stuck, and is now re-pumping itself back up so to speak, wouldn't it be OK afterwards? I'd hate to tear the heads off the car if I didn't need to. I wasn't really planning on pulling those off til I did heads and cam, and that won't be for a while, because I'm enjoying the bolt-on racing right now!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I did the infamous 3-to-2 shift sequence, my pushrods were all okay, but I had stretched the $#!+ out of my timing chain.

Something to look at, anyhow.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

You may have spun a rod bearing . 81K is a lot for a stock bottom end, if that's the case...time for a new motor.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

I just came back from driving it. I reset the computer first, and then went out. It seemed to drive fine, the SES light went off. I decided on the way back to kinda get on it. Did a WOT 2-3 run, and it ran VERY strong, but when I let back out, the ticking was louder, and the rough idle was back. But, the SES light didn't come back on. WTF???
Old 06-03-2003, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the same thing last year.the ticking noise i got was a spun barring,i hope you have better luck then i did.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a friend did the same thing except he slammed it to 1st on his lt1 on the freeway.outcome was bent valve and a broken spring.do aleak and comp. test.I bet its a bent vlv.good luck.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:03 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian, more than likely you bent a valve. A buddy of mine just did the same thing Friday night and he bent 4 valves. All the simptoms were similar to yours. When you overrev the motor like that and dont bend the pushrods, there are 2 other things in the way.......Valves and lifters. Thats where i'd start. Good luck

Josh
Old 06-03-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Uh....anybody say "elbow out"... happens to the best of us...well, maybe not.. :p
Good luck w/ the repair...and new H/C setup
Old 06-03-2003, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Guy i saw once with an LS1 told me something similar. I told him to reset his PCM. It went away. Start simple before you buy a long block

then pushrods
then valves

Chris
Old 06-03-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

I did the same thing about 8 months ago on my car. Ended bending 3 pushrods, all on the drivers side of the engine, all intake valve pushrods. Two were obviously bent, and the third looked like a lightning bolt when I pulled it from cylinder 7. Luckily I believe that was the worst of the damage. Got an SES light on cylinder 7 for the longest time, but that went away after fiddling w/the coilpack. Car runs pretty good now, I also have a faint tick, but I believe its just an exhaust leak I'm too lazy to fix.
I would say start w/the lifters in your case.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you roll your push rods on a glass table? and no bumpidybump, does seem like its a collapsed lifter, maybee it fills up with oil under regular driving but when you get on it it puts too much stress and re colapses it!,

Quick Reply: Did 3-2 misshift, now have ticking, but not p-rods