Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light scratches on my AFR heads, Any way to polish them out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Light scratches on my AFR heads, Any way to polish them out?

I got my AFR heads back from Dougans Race Engines in riverside CA(shitty customer service too BTW) and when I got them back the outside of the heads where it says AFR has a bunch of light scratches in them now. Is there a way to polish out the light scratches? I'll post a pic's later. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Aluminum polish will take those out and make those ******* gleam. hahaha.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Aluminum polish will take those out and make those ******* gleam. hahaha.
I agree. Aluminum polish works real good
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

I've bought 2 sets in the past year,and both new sets came out of the box scratched .For the price they should be near flawless out of the box.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guy's. Here are the pic's of the scratches and gouges (Dougans Race Engines) put on them, The real bad scratches are the ones you cant see thank god, This lite scratch in the picture is the one I can see when I open my hood.

BTW, I had Tony Mamo from AFR work these heads over after After I got them back from dougans and Tony did some real nice rework to them!! Tony's work and customer service was Top Notch!!

Last edited by SmaknaSS; 09-26-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks George....

Get that baby running so you can begin to enjoy the fruits of your hard work (money) and patience which was appreciated. Im sure the road stretches alot further back before you and I hooked up.

Anyway, regarding the scratches its no big deal. I would start with 240 wet dry and some WD 40 as a lubricant and work your way up to at least 400 grit before starting to use some elbow grease and mothers polish. 600 or even 1000 grit will just reduce the polishing time....if you have some of the finer grit stuff laying around dont hesitate to use it. In fact I find the little extra time sanding is worth it as it cuts down your polishing time by 2X that amount.

Experiment in an area you wont see as easily if your uncomfortable but its pretty straightfoward....just requires a little time for the best results. If you want to really have it glow use Mothers billet polish as the last step....gets it closer to a chrome type of clean glow if you removed most of the lighter sanding marks with the finer paper and a few rounds of the regular Mothers aluminum polish first.

Keep me posted on your results....

Tony
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A belt sander will make quick work of those scratches.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Thanks George....

Get that baby running so you can begin to enjoy the fruits of your hard work (money) and patience which was appreciated. Im sure the road stretches alot further back before you and I hooked up.

Anyway, regarding the scratches its no big deal. I would start with 240 wet dry and some WD 40 as a lubricant and work your way up to at least 400 grit before starting to use some elbow grease and mothers polish. 600 or even 1000 grit will just reduce the polishing time....if you have some of the finer grit stuff laying around dont hesitate to use it. In fact I find the little extra time sanding is worth it as it cuts down your polishing time by 2X that amount.

Experiment in an area you wont see as easily if your uncomfortable but its pretty straightfoward....just requires a little time for the best results. If you want to really have it glow use Mothers billet polish as the last step....gets it closer to a chrome type of clean glow if you removed most of the lighter sanding marks with the finer paper and a few rounds of the regular Mothers aluminum polish first.

Keep me posted on your results....

Tony
Thanks Tony,
I appreciate the the input and all the hard work with the heads.
I should have this thing running real soon. It seems kind of a waste to put these heads back on a stock bottom end though.
I'll guess I'll just have to wait until the money starts coming in again or .
Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want to blind yourself, check out some of the compounds for aluminum that Eastwood sells with the buffs. Some Tripoli and White Rouge will required sunglasses when you finish