Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What setup for 393 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What setup for 393 motor?

Ive got a 393 LS6 based motor with a set of stock 318's on em and a very small cam. The motor is a small bore (3.905) so I cant take advantage of the larger bore heads. Ive been looking at the terminator's but cant make my mind up what would be the best bang for my buck. I plan on getting a Fast 90/90 setup, and a new cam along with the new heads to completely revamp the top end of my motor.

Of course I'd love something like AFR's but they are a little on the high side for my budget once you factor in the $1200+ intake and $400 cam into the equation.

Let me know what you more expeirenced LS guru's have to say!

John McIntosh
US Army
Baghdad, Iraq
Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Teching In

IMHO, the 243 castings with CNC porting are best for larger displacement engines. The intake runners are 225-240 CCs, depending on which supplier you go with. These heads have comparable high-lift flow of the clean-sheet-of-paper big brands, you would have to take a closer look at the individual supplier's low and mid-lift numbers. The Terminators (200 CC intake runners) are all about low-end torque on a stock-sized engine as they have smaller-than-stock runner sizes. And they have had problems matching up with the FAST in the past.

Again, IMHO, FAST is the last 15 HP after everything else has been done. Take a look at your cam selection, exhaust from header to cat-back, tuning, air intake lid, NITROUS, etc... first. Even look into getting the valves from those CNCd heads backcut at the local machine shop. Or take a look at one of those nicely shaped 2-into-1 exhaust sections from Flowmaster, costs ~45 bucks.

You might be able to gain that 15 with alot less $$$. Forgoing the $1200 expense.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maggie it.

Probably won't fit your budget, but best bang for the buck. IMHO
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Maggie it.

Probably won't fit your budget, but best bang for the buck. IMHO
Whats the deal with those? Im in Iraq so I cant keep up with things as much as I like too? What kind of price are they bringing?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

A Maggie setup is going to be $7k or so. Although I am leaning in that direction myself, I think they are rather specialized gear and only make sense for users with some rather specific requirements.

If I were in your shoes I'd spring for either AFR 205s or Trick Flow 215s. Yes, this will mean postponing the FAST for a while but I bet these heads will be most of 15 rwhp better than the cheaper heads and there's the gain from the FAST right there. Then add the FAST later. As was previously posted, the FAST is what you do last.

Really good heads are nearly always the best investment you can make in an engine, imo.