Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace 1 Broken Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 1 Broken Rod?

I broke a rod in my Ls1, can i just buy a new rod and new bearing caps and reuse the same pison with the same rings? I would really hate to have to replace all of the rings and have to hone the crank. Oh yea, the block has a hole in it too. But luckily Its a small enough hole and its in a good position where it can be welded. What should i do? I dont have the money to buy a new motor and i would soooooo like to just get some new caps and repair the one broken rod, ohh yea and the block of course...

the culprit... a little H2O in da cumbustion chamber rocked my world.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

you may not want to hear this but it would be really wise to take the motor apart and inspect the damage.if you broke a rod the piston and sleeve may be trashed as well.if the block is indeed salvageable(i would personally just get another block as cheap as they are now) i would re- ring it and put in new bearings.piston could have tagged the head as well and maybe even warped your valves. anyways i wish you luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would +1 on what slow trap said, I would pull the motor and tear it down you've probably done more damage than you can see from the oil pan.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow trap
you may not want to hear this but it would be really wise to take the motor apart and inspect the damage.if you broke a rod the piston and sleeve may be trashed as well.if the block is indeed salvageable(i would personally just get another block as cheap as they are now) i would re- ring it and put in new bearings.piston could have tagged the head as well and maybe even warped your valves. anyways i wish you luck.
Yea, i have already taken out the piston and broken rod. and other than the rod and the hole in the block, the motor is clean. It only has less than 10000 miles on it. If i needed to replace the rings and bearing caps, where could i buy them?

I have already recieved a quote of 250.00 from a reputable machine shop to fix the block and align hone the mains witch seems pretty reasonable.

I really cant afford to go aftermarket performance with this rebuild, so OEM parts are a must.

SO all in all, where would be a good place to track down the parts that i need?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Man I would be pissed if I found a fat weld on my block where a hole used to be.....I need to go look!!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those 5.3 motors are cheap it's not worth getting it worked on.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

its not a 5.3, i got an LS1 out of a corvette. I am rebuilding it to put into a miata as a conversion. i just need to get the motor in good working condition. I think 350 hp in a 2000 pound car is plenty haha. Time is of the essense with this project because i have a tight budget. I realize that i cannot cut corners, that is why i am asking for advise. I thoughly understand how engines work however, this is my first engine rebuild and i am not proficient on the "rules" and methods that go into rebuilding a motor properly. From my observations and a couple buddies, they say that i got incredibly lucky that where the rod shot through the block is in such a un obstructed / non structural spot.

look at this post, it has pictures of it before i disassembled it. The hole you see is the only scar on this block...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/771089-block-repairable.html

From my research, I have gathered that I obviously need to get the block fixed and have the mains aligned or checked. purchase a new rod / pistion. and that i need to re ring the motor ( Even though i can still see the factory cross hatching on the cylinders). also i need to have the heads / valves checked. I just dont know if it is acceptable for me to have the block fixed and have the mains checked and just get new bearing caps and a new rod and just button her up?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

I would not reuse a piston or rings from a cylinder that hydrolocked. That piston was subjected to forces way more than it was designed for. If the rod broke, i'm sure the piston is notr trustworthy. I had a car at work once that hydrolocked, it ran fine after so we changed the oil and replaced the air filter. The motor ran fine for 1500 miles and then came apart, one of the pistons must have been stress cracked and finally broke. I know your on a budget but i'd hate to see you have a major failure that could cost even more in the future.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with above, time to salvage the shole motor. Just look for a used one if you are on a budget. If you get one built from scrap you could get it with forged pistons/rods for not much more. I know you are on a budget but this hobby and cheap don't mix. Good luck
Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Websy21
Agree with above, time to salvage the shole motor. Just look for a used one if you are on a budget. If you get one built from scrap you could get it with forged pistons/rods for not much more. I know you are on a budget but this hobby and cheap don't mix. Good luck
i agree.maybe look for a used shortblock. right now would be a great time for a 5.7 or 6.0 shortblock upgrade ! you can probably find a used block only for what the machine shop will charge you to fix yours.if you decide to fix yours you can probably go by the local parts store and order a set of rings and main and rod bearings but i would seriously advise you to look for another shortblock.

Quick Reply: Replace 1 Broken Rod?