Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best budget heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best budget heads

Okay, what heads would you go with if every dollar counted? I am looking at the TEA SII, Absolute Speed SII, and the Patriot heads. I would like 2.055"- 1.60" valves, dual springs and increased CR (probably have to 5.3- right?)
Who has the best value? My goal is mid 10's N/A and I plan on going big solid roller in the future. I have read a thousand times that MTI is the best head out there, but that extra $700-$1100 doesn't seem worth it in the long run. I think that better ET results can be had by putting that extra money in other places- agree?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Best budget heads

Raging Motorsports now offers SI, and SII heads, setup for all different options. I belive the current pricing on these heads are now up to about 1995.99 + core (I think) Speak to mark over there, He is very knowledgable (SP?) I know my SII heads/Cam made an AWESOME differance. thanks mark
Old 06-10-2003, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would call Allan at Futral Motorsports (link to the right or in my sig).

Awesome heads / deal / person / etc.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

you're gonna need a nice cam with either of those heads to get mid 10's NA, but it could be done in good weather. The thing is none of the heads above have been 10's NA yet, but they are very close. This year i think a few are gonna break 10.9's

TEA seems like the best all around choice. No one has really had issues with them and they run great. Absolute is putting down the dyno numbers and one car has been 11.0 NA with a 224 cam! But i havent seen any others coming close to that ET on their side. Patriot is new and cheaper by 100-200bucks.

If you want to gamble and maybe get a awesome set of heads for cheap look at the Patriots

If you want awesome flow numbers and dynos look at the Absolute speed heads. From there dynos they should be running well at the track

If you want solid been dependable CNC'ed heads check out TEA.

I dont think you could go wrong with any.. I cant say alot about Patriot cause they are new to this game
Old 06-10-2003, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TEA 5.3 S2s, hands down a definate winner. I had them on my C5 and they worked AWESOME with a TR 224-112. My buddy on his C5 put down 42X RWHP and 416 RWTQ with TEA 5.3 S2 and TR 224 (all bolt ons, headers, no cats, ls6 intake, ASP UP, 18" tires and 3.73 gears and the C5's dyno less due to greater frictional losses in the Independent Rear Suspension.)
Old 06-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Teching In

I personally know a really top of the line head porter who has really great prices. He has done heads for people all over, and can still provide the best flow numbers and give you a great deal. He also has a distributor in KC for his heads if you would like to check them out.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you want proven budget heads, stay with the valve sizes that come with the heads which are typically 2.02/1.57
Old 06-10-2003, 10:44 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Let me get this straight you want a "budget" cylinder head to save some bucks, but want to go to a solid roller set up in the future - and you want to run mid 10's. My advise to you is gut the hell out of your car - it's free. Then do your "budget" solid roller, you do realize you will have to change out your valvetrain. So I can't see how exactly you plan on saving money.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:53 PM
I can shift faster than you.

I couldn't agree more with LEO. The reason why car ran so well was ALOT to do with the heads, not necessarily the cam. Heads are one place you shouldn't skimp on. GTP, MTI, etc. are $$$ for a reason - you get what you pay for.

Alot of people aren't trying to squeeze that extra few hp/tq out of their car like I and many other people were. In this case, those heads you listed will work great! The $1k saved could be spent in other places. For me, the GTPs were well worth the money.

Jason
Old 06-10-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me get this straight you want a "budget" cylinder head to save some bucks, but want to go to a solid roller set up in the future - and you want to run mid 10's. My advise to you is gut the hell out of your car - it's free. Then do your "budget" solid roller, you do realize you will have to change out your valvetrain. So I can't see how exactly you plan on saving money.
Ok- let me rephrase- Case in point:
TEA CNC Ported GM LS1 Stage II: $1799.00
Absolute Speed Stage II LS6: $1899.00
Patriot Stage II: $1295.00
MMS Stage II: $1799.00
GTP Stage II: $2499.00
MTI Stage II LS1: $2795.00 (now on sale $400 bucks cheaper)

Now I don't know exactly what the flow numbers of these individual heads are or what they will do on the dyno/ track. However, I do know that I would rather pay $1900 for a Stage II LS6 head than pay $2800.00 for a Stage II LS1 head.
I don;t belive that the performance gain could be worth a grand and even if it is, I doubt that it overshadows the value of a poted LS6 head. If the Absolute speed heads became a hindrance on my path to the 10's, it shouldn;t take that much to get them flow whatever is needed and I doubt it would be worth $1000.00.
I am not rich and I watch everything I buy, to get the most value out of my purchase. I honestly believe that MTI heads are the "best" out there, but I also believe that there is a culr following that supports this. It reminds me of the Zaino freaks on LS1.com. That's what they use and swear by it. No real reason(there are better, less expensive products out there), they are just "convinced". they paid out the *** for it, so it must be the best and there is not other.

doesn;t make more sense to buy the Absolute LS6 heads over the MTI LS1 heads?
Will the MTI heads out perform the Absolute LS6? Doubt it. So why the money- a name?

Old 06-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Teching In

get a great set of heads from a stand up company like tea and save the money you would have spent on other mods. tea is doing my 2.08's stage 3 setup for the iron block 421 buildup in 99 c5, and it will see 10's i promise you.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Banned

You want budget, stick with stock valves. I can set you up with a Stage II port, stock valved heads that flow 300@.600 with STOCK VALVES, the best components including REV dual springs & titanium retainers for $1195. You can pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for bigger valves, valvejobs etc. When it comes right down to it, the LS6 intake flows around 280cfm. If stock valves can flow well over that, why increase valvetrain weight with larger valves and unnecessary work? Pay for quality porting and components which adds value, and spend the money your saved elsewhere.

My old Stage I heads have gone 10.82 NA stock shortblock.

I will be releasing details soon on all the Cylinder Head packages and options we will be offering from ultra budget to max performance.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

You want budget, stick with stock valves. I can set you up with a Stage II port, stock valved heads that flow 300@.600 with STOCK VALVES, the best components including REV dual springs & titanium retainers for $1195.
Ummm, you have my attention!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We are new to this game.There will be some dyno numbers posted Friday,using our Stage 2 heads.Our heads are "budget" priced,but by no means "budget quality".Our desire for excellence is second to none.The prices are low because,we purchase in massive bulk.Currently we have over "700" LS1 heads and 48 casting 317 6.0L truck heads.Our moto is to have everyone saying "ho did they do that".It will take a little time to prove our quality.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"how did they do that".sorry
Old 06-11-2003, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

No flames/digs intented toward any of our fine sponsers, but.... Brian and Brent @ TEA will be supplying any and all of my future cyl. head needs.

They have a proven track record, are consistant, cost effective, knowledgable, honest and are straight up, no BS guys who in a time of high $$$ performance parts will give you the results you're after w/out taking your left nutt. Customer service is 2nd to none. Couldn't be happier w/ my TEA heads

Like Jason said....heads are not where you want to skimp, but I believe that while there are others w/higher flow #'s out there, I don't believe the the marginal reduction in ET is worth the $$$ (unless of course you are shooting for a serious points chasing effort)when considering other factors that do play into a low ET once you've started making some decent power. Does no good to have the highest flowing heads, and highest dyno # on the block if the pig won't leave hard and straight

Let's try not to forget that while high CFM, and dyno #'s are a valuable indicator/tool, they are not the end all be all. I've seen cars w/higher flowing heads/dyno #'s ET higher, and trap lower than cars of the lesser. Don't forget the driver

It's all about total combo matching from the pavement up, and your budget. Not just H/C. You can build a low 11.0 car for less than some of the big boys would lead you to believe. Slap a safe lil' 100 shot to that and voila.....10.XX's

JMHO......

Old 06-11-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have talked to Terry at Patriot several times,and from what I've seen of his heads,I would put them up against any other brand you can find.He has a very large stock of heads and plenty of company support to offer a great deal on heads.He also has done extensive testing of all of the leading head suppliers to find out where the market stands.Terry will give you real world numbers,not a positive 3% for margine of error, or with exh. & intake extensions and use top quality components.Give me a few weeks and I'll give you some before and after dyno #'s.Give him a call and talk to him,he's a great guy.1-256-413-3882
Terry-I will call you later today about our discussion last week.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Who has the best value? My goal is mid 10's N/A and I plan on going big solid roller in the future. I have read a thousand times that MTI is the best head out there, but that extra $700-$1100 doesn't seem worth it in the long run. I think that better ET results can be had by putting that extra money in other places- agree?

MMS is having a sale on their stage 2 5.3 heads, which are around $1699 with dual valve springs, I think. I ran 10.8@127 with them, stock shortblock all motor!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I put down 405.5 RWHP through an A4 with cats and a full exhaust with a 228/224 cam with all boltons and CHS Stage 2 heads.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok- let me rephrase- Case in point:
TEA CNC Ported GM LS1 Stage II: $1799.00
Absolute Speed Stage II LS6: $1899.00
Patriot Stage II: $1295.00
MMS Stage II: $1799.00
GTP Stage II: $2499.00
MTI Stage II LS1: $2795.00 (now on sale $400 bucks cheaper)

Now I don't know exactly what the flow numbers of these individual heads are or what they will do on the dyno/ track. However, I do know that I would rather pay $1900 for a Stage II LS6 head than pay $2800.00 for a Stage II LS1 head.
I don;t belive that the performance gain could be worth a grand and even if it is, I doubt that it overshadows the value of a poted LS6 head. If the Absolute speed heads became a hindrance on my path to the 10's, it shouldn;t take that much to get them flow whatever is needed and I doubt it would be worth $1000.00.
I am not rich and I watch everything I buy, to get the most value out of my purchase. I honestly believe that MTI heads are the "best" out there, but I also believe that there is a culr following that supports this. It reminds me of the Zaino freaks on LS1.com. That's what they use and swear by it. No real reason(there are better, less expensive products out there), they are just "convinced". they paid out the *** for it, so it must be the best and there is not other.

doesn;t make more sense to buy the Absolute LS6 heads over the MTI LS1 heads?
Will the MTI heads out perform the Absolute LS6? Doubt it. So why the money- a name?

Ok I would love for you to purchase another set of heads then compare your setup with a MTI H/C car... and watch you on your results