Sponsored by:

valve spring compressor

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You got to be kidding me.
If you cant make that thing you shouldnt be doing your own spring swap. I've seen versions of the "Tim" or "Larry" (Larry was the original) double springer as well

If you have the time to make one, be my guest. If you have the money to buy a name brand one, then, by all means proceed there also, but for some one trying to save a lil money and SUPPORT A SPONSOR, this is the way to go. Jesus, everyone is a critic....
Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

or...You could just do as I did, look at the Crane tool, see how simple it is, go out to the shop, measure the angles from the rocker pad to the valve stem, step over to the mill and carve it out. Course not everyone has a mill in their shop or the time or desire to do it, lol.
Carl.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Vinci/Crane does 2 at a time. Tim's does 1. Vinci/Crane is worth the extra cost.
The Crane tool hands down.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I recently had to remove my springs....I made my own tool, just like the Crane one, except maybe a bit shittier looking.

Although how anyone manages to break the valve locks free from the retainer using only air, is beyond me !!!!!
Mine were stuck tight ! had to use the rope in the cylinder trick to stop the valves from moving to get the valve locks split.

Nightmare of a job.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Although how anyone manages to break the valve locks free from the retainer using only air, is beyond me !!!!!
Mine were stuck tight ! had to use the rope in the cylinder trick to stop the valves from moving to get the valve locks split.

Nightmare of a job.

trick of the trade. before putting the valve spring compressor on, take a hammer and tap the retainers. this, usually, breaks the seal the locks have from the oil making them stick to the retainer.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Believe me, I was hammering too !!!!! even once I had the thing loaded up too with rope.. I was almost sure I bent a valve at one point it took that much effort to break some free. Luckily it didnt though.

No matter what, air alone was insufficient
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you get lucky and the locks come loose on their own. If not it helps to use the TDC method with compressed air. Installing the hose is certainly a lot easier than stuffing enough rope into the spark plug hole to fill the cylinder keeping the valves from falling as the springs are compressed. If you using compressed air and the locks are sticking you will know it as soon as you begin to compress the spring because you will actually hear the compressed air start to excape from the cylinder. You can give the retainer or valve spring a tap at this time. I use a brass mallet.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

I used this tool a few years ago the first and only time I've ever done valvesprings. It flat out rocked! I used the TDC method of rotating the crank 90 degrees for each bank of springs. I had absolutely no problems.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
If you have the time to make one, be my guest. If you have the money to buy a name brand one, then, by all means proceed there also, but for some one trying to save a lil money and SUPPORT A SPONSOR, this is the way to go. Jesus, everyone is a critic....

I agree. How ever the Tim tool is not a sponsor. The Tim/Larry tool is a peice of flat stock with a notch and takes no imagination to make.

The crane tool is a precision instrument that does not use the rocker boss for leverage.

Quick Reply: valve spring compressor