Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which route to go this winter, the other option will come next year.
Head, cam, tune first.
63.16%
9 inch, driveshaft, more suspension
36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Heads cam or a different route this winter...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

I also would like to add. This car isn't being nickel and dimed together. I dont plan on really skimping anywhere, and which ever option i pick, i will end up doing the other shortly after it. If i go the head cam route, and the rear end breaks, i will buy a rear end. I have the cash in hand to do everything to the car tommorrow, but i would rather spread it out over a year, or maybe 2 winters.

Chris
Old 11-02-2007 | 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Broke EF
So he should make all kinds of power and not be able to use it?!?!? Rember to his car is a M6 not a auto, so its gonna be harder on the rear end regarless.

Sean
nothing against you but thats one of the reasons i just love this site as well as many like it. everyone thinks every car is track only and if you arent dumping the clutch at 5k rpms and running sticky tires you arent getting to use the power in your car.

he can use all the power he makes everytime he drives his car. weither it be to the mailbox or grocerystore across town or across the state. yes true the stock 10 bolts are weaker then tons or other rears, but they arent made from scrap tin, if you abuse them day n and day out w/ hard launches and dumped clutches of course it will break, yes even under stock tq n hp #'s.

the point im trying to make is this. id do head and cam spray n tune 1st.
no you wont be able to 5k dump or run stickys n 1.6 60ft times, doesnt mean you wont enjoy the new power and run way better times then you do now. plus kill many many many more cars that you drive on the road which is where most your drivings done anyways.
Old 11-02-2007 | 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Trust me from experience. Go with the 9" and kit route. You won't regret it.
Old 11-02-2007 | 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
nothing against you but thats one of the reasons i just love this site as well as many like it. everyone thinks every car is track only and if you arent dumping the clutch at 5k rpms and running sticky tires you arent getting to use the power in your car.

he can use all the power he makes everytime he drives his car. weither it be to the mailbox or grocerystore across town or across the state. yes true the stock 10 bolts are weaker then tons or other rears, but they arent made from scrap tin, if you abuse them day n and day out w/ hard launches and dumped clutches of course it will break, yes even under stock tq n hp #'s.

the point im trying to make is this. id do head and cam spray n tune 1st.
no you wont be able to 5k dump or run stickys n 1.6 60ft times, doesnt mean you wont enjoy the new power and run way better times then you do now. plus kill many many many more cars that you drive on the road which is where most your drivings done anyways.

I think you more or less summed up my feelings exactly hear.

Sean is one of my best friends. He knows the car will see the track, but also knows i am not a die hard track person. If it were his car it would of been gutted, had a cage, ect.

He builds race cars, ive made street cars. Theres nothing wrong with having a race car, but that may be a couple years down the road for me, when i am better set up for a race car, like a trailer, and more money of coarse.

Even though its best to do it all at once, half the fun of owning a car is seeing improvement from what you have just done to the car. I wouldn't want to buy a stock car, run 14, and then next season have a car capable of 9's, and kill myself or total my car trying to drive it. I am thinking it is best to gradually work my way up there. I have driven 12 seconds cars. My one buddies z06 might be a high 11, but thats it. While im a decent driver, i definatly need more seat time, and gradually will work my way up there.

While i can get a 9 inch, and launch harder and work on my 60 foot, there is a chance after 9 inch, and weight mods the car is still running the same times. While im hoping for a low 12 with full suspension, and 9 inch, its not guaranteed, and that would suck spending 3k + amd the car is not any faster, but i can just launch harder. unless im @ the track there is no point trying to launch the car. Slipping the clutch out from 2k will spin the hell out of my 275 bfg's.

Adding nitrous to the rear end is more money. Adding around 1k to the price that was somewhat even.
Sean's also point, is if next year i am building a motor such as a big cube ls1 that the cam while it may be good for that motor, will not be the best. But at the same time spraying the car will rack up the 400 dollars in 8 or so bottle fills. Ive had nitrous on cars before, the bottles go quick.

Im at a loss. even if i know i should go the rear end route, I WANT Heads and cam more. Probably because i have never had it. Probably because i want the car to sound bad ***.

Chris
Old 11-02-2007 | 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

One of seans others main points is cam cars are a pain to drive. They struggle staying alive, stall out, and get annoying. While im sure this may be true with alot of cars, i dont find people ever talking about it on ls1tech. It actually seems very rare to find anyone on hear complaining about driving the cammed car. With me being manual as well, it shouldn't be to tuff to drive right?

Chris
Old 11-04-2007 | 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

how about H/C/I +spray and built rear end+full suspension? thats what i am heading to