Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How expensive should a cam install be at a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people who frequent this site know the going prices for aftermarket cams, springs, pushrods, etc. so unless you get the parts wholesale your markup is limited unless you want to chance running a potential customer away. Your not dealing with soccer moms on LS1Tech who aren't informed about this stuff. There are a lot of competent wrench turners who have plenty of experience working on LS series engines that don't work out of a shop. They do cam/head swaps everyday of the week without callbacks. The people who break off rocker bolts or strip the crank threads should have paid the extra dollars to a shop in the first place rather than take on a job that was over their heads because it ends up costing them the shop rate or more in the long run.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rocksws6
So what your saying is that if you don't get to ripp somebody's *** on parts then your going to ripp it in the labor costs? And don't compare it to taking a steak to a restaurant cause the 2 are not even close. Your paying alot for them waiting on you not for the meat itself. A camshaft from any of these other shops is the same thing your selling. As is anything else. Your not selling any special parts that makes everything else inferior. It sounds like to me your out there to ripp somebody one any which way you can. And that kinda attitude is the reason I just do all my own work.
I'm not ripping anyone. It's up to me to find vendors to sell to me less than they sell to you, so I can sell parts competitively, AND make a profit. You're right, I am not selling anything that is superior to anyone elses stuff. But, it all adds up in the end.
As for my analogy, it is not any different. The wait staff is paid a minimal amount of money, and then depend on your tips. The restaurant has to pay overhead, cooking staff, etc. They are selling a product. So are all the shops.
Most of them cant survive on 75 bucks an hour. Parts sales are a big part of the profit margin.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ It sounds better when you put it like that. But that whole charging double for not buying parts through you that was kind of a bad thing to say IMO.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
First off, will all these guys that are willing to do the install "on the side" step up and fix your car if something happens after the install? You know, cam gear bolts coming out, ripped oil pump oil ring, valve spring keeper comes out, etc.
Second, the OP should be grateful a professional shop is even willing to install his parts. I dont for the most part. You gotta buy the majority, if not all of the parts from me.
How many of you take your own steak for the chef to cook when you go out to dinner? That steak I just paid 24.95 for last night, I coulda bought for 9.99 at the grocery store. And damn, I paid like 2.95 for the baked potato too. What a freegin ripp!!
So, by the time you calculate the loss of profit by the shop for not making the parts sale, and the liability of having to warranty labor on an installation OF PARTS HE DID NOT SELL, I think they should be charging AT LEAST twice the going rate.
So you would rather not have the business at all if they dont buy the parts from you? Sounds like your loosing more money that way
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TA1364
So you would rather not have the business at all if they dont buy the parts from you? Sounds like your loosing more money that way
I would rather not have the headache and or liability of installing customers parts.
I have people bring me ebay heads, and cams, and other crap to install. Used this and that.
To me, a business owner, its offensive when people come in with parts they've bought somewhere else to "save a buck" and then want some killer deal on the install. Its cut-throat, pure and simple.
So yes, I would rather turn down the work, than get wrapped up in something I have no control over with the exception of installation. And yes, I do lose some business because of that. But sometimes, its better to lose certain jobs.
The longer I'm in business, the pickier I get about what jobs I take in.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would rather not have the headache and or liability of installing customers parts.
I have people bring me ebay heads, and cams, and other crap to install. Used this and that.
To me, a business owner, its offensive when people come in with parts they've bought somewhere else to "save a buck" and then want some killer deal on the install. Its cut-throat, pure and simple.
So yes, I would rather turn down the work, than get wrapped up in something I have no control over with the exception of installation. And yes, I do lose some business because of that. But sometimes, its better to lose certain jobs.
I here that!! Usually when you do accept a job of this nature you end up upside down into the project so bad you actually loose money. Not only that if there ever was a problem with something they try to make you "responsible" for the parts anyway!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1997bird
I here that!! Usually when you do accept a job of this nature you end up upside down into the project so bad you actually loose money. Not only that if there ever was a problem with something they try to make you "responsible" for the parts anyway!!!
EXACTLY. Finally, someone whos been there, done that!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine is a master GM tech and shop foreman at a local Chevy dealer. We both have Vettes, his is a Z06, and Camaros, his is a 35th anniversary '02. We really have a great relationship,I pay him $30/hr, which I think is fair for both of us. I will say if anything ever got screwed up I would never hold him responsible, because I figure it would be as much my fault as his. Other guys at his dealership who are car crazy will do work for the same $.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigdsz
A friend of mine is a master GM tech and shop foreman at a local Chevy dealer. We both have Vettes, his is a Z06, and Camaros, his is a 35th anniversary '02. We really have a great relationship,I pay him $30/hr, which I think is fair for both of us. I will say if anything ever got screwed up I would never hold him responsible, because I figure it would be as much my fault as his. Other guys at his dealership who are car crazy will do work for the same $.
Cant beat that. You got it made there.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your at that point where you can pick and choose what jobs you do, congrats.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, labor prices must be dirt cheap where 'yall at. Granted, my car has $131,000 miles on it and engine probably has to be dropped for the install. But for my install, Compcams camshaft & lifters & push rods & springs, and SLP timing set, got quotes between $2300 and $2700. Might even have to have work done on the valves (+ $400?). Putting this mod on hold for a while.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was also 4 years ago so there was bound to have been some inflation...
Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

You're comparing apples to oranges. The lifters/valves is where the lines get drawn. Plus you have to take into consideration whether the shop has past experience on the GenIII not the GenI/GenII. Big difference when it comes to a cam only swap. The GM factory manual(Helm) says the heads have to come off for a cam swap(anyone that visits this site knows that NOT true). Removing the heads raises the time and price of the job, but they're required come off to service the lifter and valves. The heads do not have to come off to service the cam/pushrods/rockers/timing chain and springs. If you want a price for a cam only swap(includes new springs/timiing chain and p rods)that's one price, but it goes way up if the heads are coming off. I don't know if it approaches $3K, but in your case maybe it does. Enough reading here will show you that the engine does NOT have to come out to do the work you're talking about. Maybe this is the practice of the particular shop you're using. Buy the tools you need and do the work yourself. It doesn't get any easier than this engine. I'd rather do a cam on a GenIII than change a waterpump on an Asian 4 banger and forget the transverse V6s. If you have to do the heads on one of those you might as well spring for a new engine because the flat rate for heads on a V6 transverse engine will eat up the cost of a rebuilt motor.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I found a local guy who works out of his garage. He did the cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, oilpump, timing chain, LS6 intake, AND headers and y pipe for $650. Did a great job too.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never had it done at a shop but the guy that works on my car did my cam and springs, a 4.10 gear, and I bought a set of rear LCAs off him for 350. Then the same guy did my heads/another cam, motor mounts, different headers and y pipe,and took the transmission out for 500.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bLkWdOw SS
I got quotes from a couple places locally. I was quoted 1500 for the cheapest. I want to install new rods, springs, ls6 oil pump, ls6 intake, timing chain, and my ms3. To me it seems way to steep..Is that a fair price?
$1500 seems like a lot for cam swap but your post says rods, not push rods. May want to clarify this with shop - changing connecting rods would make their price seem like a bargain.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea but since everything else he named were top end parts you would the think the shop would know what he was talking about. It could happen though. That was probably with a dyno tune.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

For $650 I hope he also vacuumed the carpets, washed the windshield and detailed the tires and wheels. Realistically, no legit shop can do all those mods for $650 and stay in business for very long. Swapping a stock exhaust for a set of longtubes to me is a bigger job than a cam swap on a GenIII. If a customer comes in and wants parts installed that they purchased themselves you have to write "Labor Only"-"Customer Supplied Parts" on the work order. That's what I do and not only do I write it on the work order, but we have this converstation ahead of time to explain that I'm in no way providing a warranty for the parts. I'm providing labor only. Whether the part works or not is the concern of the customer. That doesn't mean you take shortcuts when installing customer provided parts(you never do that) if you want your customer base to grow. It just provides for an understanding between the customer and installer. Many times dealing with customers is more difficult than the actual repairs themselves. Who needs to know the life story of their customers? I for one do NOT, but sometimes customers want a shoulder to cry on and their mechanic is a captive audience until they put the cash in your hand. If I can give one bit of advice stay away from the ones going through menopause. And how do you know which ones they are you ask. Oh, they don't mind telling you, but by that time it's too late. They'll take paper towels and put them under the vehicle and if they find one drop of oil in the morning that's a comeback. You try charging them extra to get rid of them. It doesn't work. They come back anyway. I think if you shop around you can find the right price, but not everyone can find someone that will do a frame off restoration for $650. Hell, I'd even provide the pizza and beer for that price. Talk about a bargain.

Quick Reply: How expensive should a cam install be at a shop?