Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting results......

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very interesting results......

well i was driving home and suddenly the car started missing horribly.... i was racing my buddies cobra the other day and in the middle of the race it felt like somebody kicked my car in the ***** and it lost all power. just fell flat on its face.

todays incident had me really worried.. car was clearly down a cylinder or two and just all over the place.

took out the plugs, pulled the fuses, and decided to do a compression test.

results are:

1 - 210
2 - 225
3 - 230
4 - 215
5 - 225
6 - 225
7 - 225
8 - 225

HELLL YEAH!!!!

this engine has well over 35k HIGHLY ABUSIVE miles on it lol.. i have flogged this thing, sprayed this thing, burnt up more plugs than i dare count, had head gaskets fail, had valves start to fail.... you name it .. ive dealt with it.

Erik koneig built me a freaking BADASS motor and i cant believe this thing is holding the compression like a champ still.

while testing the compression i encountered a wierd problem i never noticed before.. my car wont stay cranking??? it will crank to what feels like 1 or two revolutions and then will either stop, or start this god aweful grinding noise.

here is a vid... anybody have any ideas? im holding the key solid, not pulsing it, and it kinda pulses on its own????

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like your starter is bad. More like the solenoid.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkbird
Sounds like your starter is bad. More like the solenoid.
really? its brand new and i have never had problems with it starting the car? just wont keep the engine going over and over, does that sound typical of the starter being bad?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the battery good? Doesn’t sound like the motor is spinning over that fast. Also, how are you doing the compression test?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You crankin it over with all the plugs out of it? Funky crankin + low power + miss = not very good news.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like a lack of cranking power from battery...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
You crankin it over with all the plugs out of it? Funky crankin + low power + miss = not very good news.

yes, all the plugs are out.

what do you mean not very good news?? the compression all tested out kick ***. so clearly there isnt anything super major wrong?

im guessing its either a bad coil pack or a bad wire. the engine obviously isnt hurt to hold compression that well.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
yes, all the plugs are out.

what do you mean not very good news?? the compression all tested out kick ***. so clearly there isnt anything super major wrong?

im guessing its either a bad coil pack or a bad wire. the engine obviously isnt hurt to hold compression that well.
I cant hear your vid. What I meant was if there is some resistance to cranking, regardless of compression, the motor could have an issue. Usually when 2 strange problems pop up at the same time they are related.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I cant hear your vid. What I meant was if there is some resistance to cranking, regardless of compression, the motor could have an issue. Usually when 2 strange problems pop up at the same time they are related.

the car has always cranked like this... for the last 2 years...

when the car is cold in the mornings it never starts on the first "quick hit" of the key. it always starts on the second try, every time, the second i hit the key she turns over no problem.

i always assumed it was a safety precaution so that you wouldnt kill your starter or your battery and that the computer made it go in "bursts" so you couldnt sit and hold the starter on. ?

the main subject on hand is my compression. looks pretty kick *** for a high mileage beat up motor does it not?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

well i was driving home and suddenly the car started missing horribly.... i was racing my buddies cobra the other day and in the middle of the race it felt like somebody kicked my car in the ***** and it lost all power. just fell flat on its face.

todays incident had me really worried.. car was clearly down a cylinder or two and just all over the place.

took out the plugs, pulled the fuses, and decided to do a compression test.

results are:

1 - 210
2 - 225
3 - 230
4 - 215
5 - 225
6 - 225
7 - 225
8 - 225

HELLL YEAH!!!!

this engine has well over 35k HIGHLY ABUSIVE miles on it lol.. i have flogged this thing, sprayed this thing, burnt up more plugs than i dare count, had head gaskets fail, had valves start to fail.... you name it .. ive dealt with it.

Erik koneig built me a freaking BADASS motor and i cant believe this thing is holding the compression like a champ still.

while testing the compression i encountered a wierd problem i never noticed before.. my car wont stay cranking??? it will crank to what feels like 1 or two revolutions and then will either stop, or start this god aweful grinding noise.

here is a vid... anybody have any ideas? im holding the key solid, not pulsing it, and it kinda pulses on its own????

That is awesome news..... good luck with your problem..... this thread cheered up my day..... I hope my HKE 408 survived my *** up!

saying more prayers..... yet I think it is a valve from the detonation on the 300 shot.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stop cranking immediately when I heard that "grinding" noise and turn the crank manually to isolate the problem to either the engine proper or the engine starter system(starter motor, solenoid, battery, flywheel/flexplate). If the engine spins smoothly(without "grinding") by hand as you would expect it to with compression numbers like that you can zero in on the starter.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I would stop cranking immediately when I heard that "grinding" noise and turn the crank manually to isolate the problem to either the engine proper or the engine starter system(starter motor, solenoid, battery, flywheel/flexplate). If the engine spins smoothly(without "grinding") by hand as you would expect it to with compression numbers like that you can zero in on the starter.

ummm... duh?? lol the engine spins fine, the engine has spun fine for the last 35k miles that the starter has been doing this same thing... the engine spun fine when it trapped 130 MPH at 4400 Ft elevation

do some people not read all the posts?

i was just wondering if it was normal because it has always done it. even when the car was stock it seems.

anyways.... im guessing its got to be the starter... the battery is an optima yellow top and it checked out fine when i had it tested a while ago.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
That is awesome news..... good luck with your problem..... this thread cheered up my day..... I hope my HKE 408 survived my *** up!

saying more prayers..... yet I think it is a valve from the detonation on the 300 shot.
LOL thats no good bro. i popped 2 head gaskets on nitrous, had 6 valve stems mushroom on the tips, MELTED numerous plugs and ground straps....

hell.... i actually even have a tiny ground strap permanently implanted in my #3 piston reminding me to never never never run a 200 shot through a nozzle kit on the stock fuel system with already undersized injectors
Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

ummm... duh?? lol the engine spins fine, the engine has spun fine for the last 35k miles that the starter has been doing this same thing... the engine spun fine when it trapped 130 MPH at 4400 Ft elevation

do some people not read all the posts?

i was just wondering if it was normal because it has always done it. even when the car was stock it seems.

If you want to know if it is normal or not, go find another car and compare it.

And stop being a dick to people who are trying to help you out.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ybaslo1
If you want to know if it is normal or not, go find another car and compare it.

And stop being a dick to people who are trying to help you out.
how is not reading the whole thread and posting non related info "helping me out" ???

there is nothing wrong with the motor, i was posting my killer compression numbers with a slight question as to the starter at the end of the post... then somehow it turns into i need to not be stupid and let the key out if i hear grinding and for some odd reason turn the motor over by hand??

come on now people. as my posts and my mods and expereince show.. im not exactly new at the whole go fast thing

i guess next time my blinker stops working i should be sure i pulled all plugs and be sure the motor spins by hand?

you guys crack me up
Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Launching!

If you’re referring to the noise at the end of the video (when you quit cranking it) I don’t think I would be concerned about that. I’ve heard that noise before when someone has a bad/low battery (not saying your battery is bad) and the motor doesn’t spin over fast; I don’t think it’s anything of concern. I think it’s just the sound of the motor coming to rest. If people pay attention to when they shut their car off, I think a lot of people would hear their motor make that type of noise sometimes. The reason I brought up the low battery is it sounds like it’s turning over really slow.

I use to work on Corvettes all the time, mainly C5’s; I never had a car quit cranking on me when I was turning the key (when working normal). I don’t believe the computer is programmed for that. Did this happen multiple times or just once? If multiple times, was it one after another (like if it quit cranking then you tried to crank it right away again, would it turn over at all or repeat what happened before)? Have you measured the starter to see what voltage you’re getting (if you know your battery is good)? I guess if it cranked fine before you started your test, the battery could just be low on charge from doing the compreesion test. Anyway, I don’t think that noise should be of concern.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
If you’re referring to the noise at the end of the video (when you quit cranking it) I don’t think I would be concerned about that. I’ve heard that noise before when someone has a bad/low battery (not saying your battery is bad) and the motor doesn’t spin over fast; I don’t think it’s anything of concern. I think it’s just the sound of the motor coming to rest. If people pay attention to when they shut their car off, I think a lot of people would hear their motor make that type of noise sometimes. The reason I brought up the low battery is it sounds like it’s turning over really slow.

I use to work on Corvettes all the time, mainly C5’s; I never had a car quit cranking on me when I was turning the key (when working normal). I don’t believe the computer is programmed for that. Did this happen multiple times or just once? If multiple times, was it one after another (like if it quit cranking then you tried to crank it right away again, would it turn over at all or repeat what happened before)? Have you measured the starter to see what voltage you’re getting (if you know your battery is good)? I guess if it cranked fine before you started your test, the battery could just be low on charge from doing the compreesion test. Anyway, I don’t think that noise should be of concern.
thanks for the killer post man.

on lunch i went home after the car has been on the charger and had kind of a "duh" moment....

without ANY plugs in the motor (no compression tester either) the engine cranks over fast and keeps cranking with no problems. I think the problem is the fact that im running 11.5ish : 1 compression and my compression test was showing upwards of 230 PSI...

i think the problem is that the stock rated starter is having a tough time turning the motor over with that kind of compression. the stock motor generally only has 180 ish PSI on a solid motor, that 50 PSI extra to turn over!~!

so thanks for the posts and i think that solves that little mystery. Does anybody make a more powerful starter?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Launching!

If that’s the problem, I believe the LS2’s are 11:1 so you could check into that starter if it bolts up. I never did motor swaps for more displacement, only heads/cam. The series we always entered had to have stock displacement. I guess you could call the company you bought your motor from and check with them.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

so did you find out why it felt down on power?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad6as
so did you find out why it felt down on power?
my plug wires are in horrible shape.... thats my best guess as to the problem