Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP torquer vs2.....Not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it all worked out Chris! Car put down some good numbers and feels strong! Goes to show what the right combination of parts can do for the power and torque...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And that was a Mustang Dyno... Good numbers.

Bill
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had fun with the install and got some more experience for when i do mine. im glad the car is finally running the way it should. props to Bret he did a good job. i don't have the fbody central sticker on my car for nothing.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

So wait... you got a bigger cam, and better heads, and you're still making less power and torque than you were before, and you're happy about it?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
So wait... you got a bigger cam, and better heads, and you're still making less power and torque than you were before, and you're happy about it?
Nah My numbers before with the old 224 cam and ported 853 heads were great. The car ran great. It's that damn mod bug that bit me and I wanted to get a bigger cam. This cam with those heads hurt ALOT! So I needed to get a set of heads to rectify what went sour. These PRCs did the job and now the car feels stronger than it did before with the 224 cam. I'm just happy to have it on the road again and drive it like I stole it!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

And don't forget about the dyno recalibration! Those numbers are great for the dyno - don't see many 346ci cars in the 430 rwhp range on it since the recal... You should be way happy with the gains! 30 rwhp and 25 rwtq is damn good... I'm sure you can feel it when you are drivin it like you stole it!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nitrojunky

Looks like it would need to be redlined at >7k rpm to make use of the power. Do these cams usually require spinning the motor that high? If not, I'm going to jump of the 'one tooth off' bandwagon.

MY DYNO SHEET LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THAT
MY CAR THREW DOWN 411 @6450 WHICH IS WERE THEY LEFT OFF THE GAS
THE GRAPH DOESN'T STOP CLIMBING FROM 3- ON UP
I DID NOT DEGREE OR HAVE ADJUSTABLE TIMING SET SO I HAD NO CHOICE TO PUT IT STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope all those who where bashing TSP see the results. TSP has always been a pleasure to deal with and will most likely always be. I bought almost all the parts for my T/A from them including most of my H/C swap. I personally ordered the cam from comp (224/230 581 114) but comp grinds TSP's anyway. TSP 224 has XE R lobes and is better IMO. Great numbers to the OP and I am glad it all worked out for you. I was nervous as hell for you while reading all 7 pages. Congrats!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
that is exactly word for word what I was going to say. To go from 430/409 to 426/376 with a bigger cam and better heads? WTF?

What else I wanted to say was, if the old combo ran so good go back to it.

There are to many variables in this. Especially with the dyno recalibration. I wasn't there I don't know anything about it and I no way am I bashing anyone, thats not how I roll. But if you tell yourself the car is slower and convince yourself of it. When you drive the car is going to feel slower. The placebo effect, the mind is a powerful thing. Just ask all the people that took the sugar pill.

I agree, something was wrong what I don't know. This is all speculation, but this is what I think.

The dyno was off, waay off in the beginning. Because to "feel" a power increase on the butt dyno, you need what? 15-20hp at least? Going to better heads and a better cam I would hope you would get more than that. So if the second set of dyno numbers are correct and they are less the original number, the first number HAS to be off....a bunch.

The other option is the cam was ground wrong. Yes it was dot to dot(which I think most people do)and not degreed there's no way of knowing. And for the cam being to much for the heads, I think there are a lot of people running bigger cams than that on stock headed motors and making more power. I would have to go back and look at the cam specs but I don't think it's bigger than a MS3 or MS4 cam.

There's been a lot of big dyno numbers posted in this thread from cam only cars and H/C cars, especially on mustang dyno's.

I am glad you are happy with your car. I just think you would have been just as happy and have a little more money in your pocket if you went back with your original setup. If it was me I'd be pissed to spend $1600 and be back where I was. I think it was just a bad situation all around.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 04-09-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow Im very confused...So what im seeing here is someone saying that 2 cams of very nearly the same specs from 2 different shops if dynod on the the same day, at the same time in the same place one would untterly stomp the other, all other variables being equal, by +/-20 hp&tq? Admittedly Im a noob at cams, I only recently ordered my first(in sig) but this seems, well, kinda absurd!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Big thanks to Eric"subhumanzz" for helping me out with the install and dealing with the long hours. It was fun!

And another big thanks to Bret Shook "BLK02WS6" at FBC for working with me on getting my car where it needed to be. I appreciate your help and if I had more green this evening it would have been yours. Best wishes to you and your family. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

The little ole lady threw down 433/383 uncorrected and 426/376 corrected. I'm happy!!!!!

you could make more IMO
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
you could make more IMO
They're dyno is extremely conservitive. Ask me how I know...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
you could make more IMO
That would be nice......not too sure what all I could do for it now. fast 92 but that damn piece of plastic is way over priced for me...

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
They're dyno is extremely conservitive. Ask me how I know...
Asking.......
Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well a certain other shop in town uses the same kind of dyno and was know for having put out very low #s. My car made 10hp less on the FBC dyno than the other shops.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does your torquer cam have an advance ground into it? did you advance it at all? i'm just wondering because i picked a torquer cam from a buddy of mine and he lost the cam card and wasn't sure if the cam came with an advance ground into it. sorry to butt in on your thread
Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverLSWON
does your torquer cam have an advance ground into it? did you advance it at all? i'm just wondering because i picked a torquer cam from a buddy of mine and he lost the cam card and wasn't sure if the cam came with an advance ground into it. sorry to butt in on your thread
According to john at TSP when I ordered my heads he told me that all their tv2s have 2* of advance ground into them. I installed mine straight up. If I had the know how I would have degreed it in for the best results.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
According to john at TSP when I ordered my heads he told me that all their tv2s have 2* of advance ground into them. I installed mine straight up. If I had the know how I would have degreed it in for the best results.
thanks for your help once again sorry for the thread highjack

Quick Reply: TSP torquer vs2.....Not impressed